Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 SS, how much??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 SS, how much??

There is a '99 SS in the local news on wheels. I am going to go try and look at it tomorrow. I spoke with the owner for a few minutes over the phone and here are the details I got. Car is a '99 with 70,000 miles, 4.10 strange gears and axles, rear just redone, transmission just redone, pro 5.0 shifter, T-tops, chrome rims(not stock, forget what kind but they look good in the picture), new drag radials on back , could use new front tires soon, borla exhaust, some kind of lid(forgot what he said), spotless leather interior, fresh pewter paint with no scratches or dings with extra clearcoat, billet grill, new suspension component, JVC stereo, pioneer highs, etc... The car sounds really nice, the owner said he did all of the work in the past year and has receipts for 8,000 in work. He rarely drives it so he said it is spotless inside and out. It is in the news on wheels for 14,500 but he said he would be a little flexible. What do ya'll think of this?? BTW, he said he ran the car twice, before he had the drag radials he said it went 12.50 at 116. 116 seems a little high but I don't know, maybe he was just spinning alot?????? Thanks for any advice!
Old 08-20-2004, 12:39 PM
Staging Lane

The price seems reasonable if the car is in good condition like you say.. but i would defintly try to go lower, offer maybe a 13,7 or 8 and a 12.5 quarter is very respectable for the modifications he has, maybe ask him to show you his time slip or somthing. ne ways good luck
Old 08-20-2004, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That doesn't sound too bad, but I'd try to get him down a little because of the miles. That's close to what I paid for mine, but mine had 46k on the clock. Also mine had similar mods to it that sweetened the deal... $600 pioneer head unit, $500 fosgate amp etc... strut tower brace, new tires, air lid, k&n, flowmaster exhaust basically $2500 worth of stuff that I would have got anyways (except the flows). I would have liked to get him down a little bit, but it was a fair price... not a steal.

Anyways doesn't sound like bad deal... go over the car and if you like the car a lot, and feel that it’s worth it - jump on it. Just be careful to check everything out and don't be afraid to ask a bunch of questions... $14,500 is a lot of money to me, and I wouldn't want to blow it on just anything. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

do you really want to buy a car thats been dragged and blown the rear out? There are virgins still out there owned by ladies that don't race the car?
Old 08-20-2004, 02:16 PM
12 Second Club

Just checked the Kelly Blue Book private party value: $13465. That ofcourse does not include the modifications that have been done to the car.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:22 PM
11 Second Club

I'd only want about 14,500 for mine with 35k on it.. I very seriously doubt the car runs 12.5 @ 116.

Good Luck,
Josh
Old 08-20-2004, 02:27 PM
TECH Regular

Like They Said I Would Try To Work On The Price. I Just Bought My 2000 Formula A4 T-tops Everything For $12995+taxes And It Only Had 24000 Miles On It. The Guy Bought A Hppiii And Never Took It Out Of The Box Because He Didn't Want To Hurt The Car. Sounds Like A Good Car With The Mods But I Would't Pay That Much For It.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by samz28
do you really want to buy a car thats been dragged and blown the rear out? There are virgins still out there owned by ladies that don't race the car?

i wouldnt want to buy a car that i know for a fact has been raped. you can get low miles non modded cars for pretty cheap. look around first.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:52 PM
STF Veteran

I think it is a decent deal. I have just about the same car except mine is an A4 with a cam and the stock rear end. I wouldn't take less than $14K for mine.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:54 PM
Teching In

From the way he made it seem, he didn't blow the rear. He just replaced everything when he did the gears. He did say he was flexible on the price and I wouldn't offer him over book. I will go look over it tomorrow and make a decision. Thanks alot guys.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Keep it in the 13k area. Even with the mods. You can do mods all day and you never get back what you put into it. If the car is nice and you like it, it's your money.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I also doubt that with those mods it went 116. Also, something caught my eye, you said it had fresh paint. Why? Has the car been wrecked? Most 99's do not require new paint unless something bad has happened.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by glennhl
I also doubt that with those mods it went 116. Also, something caught my eye, you said it had fresh paint. Why? Has the car been wrecked? Most 99's do not require new paint unless something bad has happened.
Yeah I also thought that. I plan on asking him tomorrow, but the way he made it sound is that he planned on making it a show car so he didn't want any scratches on it. I think thats why he had it painted, but I will find out for certain tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

It can easily go 116 ON THE HOSE

only fresh paint on my 00 was because i got a SS hood and spoiler and it was not the right color. Not hard to color match black, but one must wonder why fresh paint. You gotta like not wash that car from day 1 to require new paint. Even if it needed a new door skin/bumper, theres a GREAT chance that a well taken care of paint job, one would be able to put the same color part back on (used part) and you'd never know.

I guarantee my 00 black and the 04 painted hood and spoiler (GM stuff man) you cannot tell a flippin difference. Can't comment on the other colors I'm sure the pewter/silver/SOM colors are more of a beotch to match but the rest seem pretty simple, scuff and spray eh.

good luck. See if you can call him on on the hose. If they are member on any forum, do an archived search on google or the forums for their nick. You can learn alot about the history of a car just by searching these forums, there's no way to hide what you post online these days

good luck. Best advice: Don't let your passion to own a fbody blind your vision. There are a BUTTLOAD of fbodies out there for sale, not selling cause the market sucks. THAT IS THE TRUTH PERIOD. If you have to fly across the country and drive it home to find a cherry deal, do it. You dont want your first experience to be a basket case.

And if there are not records from DAY 1 neatly organized i'd run too. Carfax the beotch. Be prepared to walk. Thats the best advice i ever had, and fortunately i did walk on the first z28 i wanted badly. It smoked on first start, and had 35K miles on it. My 72K mile 00 doesn't smoke anything but tire, even after sitting for a month in the cold.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:36 PM
Teching In

It can easily go 116 ON THE HOSE

only fresh paint on my 00 was because i got a SS hood and spoiler and it was not the right color. Not hard to color match black, but one must wonder why fresh paint. You gotta like not wash that car from day 1 to require new paint. Even if it needed a new door skin/bumper, theres a GREAT chance that a well taken care of paint job, one would be able to put the same color part back on (used part) and you'd never know.

I guarantee my 00 black and the 04 painted hood and spoiler (GM stuff man) you cannot tell a flippin difference. Can't comment on the other colors I'm sure the pewter/silver/SOM colors are more of a beotch to match but the rest seem pretty simple, scuff and spray eh.

good luck. See if you can call him on on the hose. If they are member on any forum, do an archived search on google or the forums for their nick. You can learn alot about the history of a car just by searching these forums, there's no way to hide what you post online these days

good luck. Best advice: Don't let your passion to own a fbody blind your vision. There are a BUTTLOAD of fbodies out there for sale, not selling cause the market sucks. THAT IS THE TRUTH PERIOD. If you have to fly across the country and drive it home to find a cherry deal, do it. You dont want your first experience to be a basket case.

And if there are not records from DAY 1 neatly organized i'd run too. Carfax the beotch. Be prepared to walk. Thats the best advice i ever had, and fortunately i did walk on the first z28 i wanted badly. It smoked on first start, and had 35K miles on it. My 72K mile 00 doesn't smoke anything but tire, even after sitting for a month in the cold.

Thanks for the advice. I've been thinking alot about it today and I might try to hold out for something a little less abused. I may go look at it for the hell of it, but I don't think I want to spend that much money on something thats already been abused. Maybe it is a good deal, but I don't think its right for me at this time plus I don't think the 4.10's will be my best bet for daily driving anyway. The market down here right now is pretty much non-existent though because I have been looking for about 2 weeks and this is only the second M6 car I have found, and its an hour away. Oh well, i'll probably just finish fixing my truck that way I have something to drive and I don't have to rush into anything. I want to find something that I am happy with, and can be happy with for some time. Thanks for the advice again everyone, for now i'll just keep looking.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:46 AM
TECH Addict

i think you should drive 3 Fbodies, this one, and say a stock one, and feel the difference. American cars FEEL RAGGED out. squeaks, rattles, loose parts, VERY obvious. German cars can go alot longer before you can feel ragged out.

I've driven 3 fbodies and not one felt the same man. from an 02 to 99 and each had its own "personality" of being ragged out as i call it.

hell my 90 5.0 LX i got felt better than one z28 i tested, in tightness in steering, made me wonder if the (z28) owner jumped speed bumps or let his gf drive it lol.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:40 AM
Teching In

i think you should drive 3 Fbodies, this one, and say a stock one, and feel the difference. American cars FEEL RAGGED out. squeaks, rattles, loose parts, VERY obvious. German cars can go alot longer before you can feel ragged out.

I've driven 3 fbodies and not one felt the same man. from an 02 to 99 and each had its own "personality" of being ragged out as i call it.

hell my 90 5.0 LX i got felt better than one z28 i tested, in tightness in steering, made me wonder if the (z28) owner jumped speed bumps or let his gf drive it lol.
I've ridden in 3, two '98's and a '97. I drove one of the '98's. All of the ones i've ridden in felt pretty good, not ragged out. I've driven more mstangs than I can shake a stick at, and the '98 Z I drove felt really good compared to most of them, in fact, it would put a stock fox body(87-93) to shame. I haven't gotten a hold on any of these ragged out F-bodies yet, but I am sure some exist.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

yeah some folks just have no respect for their cars. Others do. And then there us guys who enjoy our cars to the fullest, take care of them, and they still break down

I found mine from an accountant who had sorted every work order (window regulator,cat only failure) and every service of oil including those damn window stickers in chronological order, carfax showed where the car lived, i questioned (indirectly) all the registration locations to make sure he was indeed the first owner, and the dude was str8. Peep the vin, the maintenance from day 1, and use your noggin to verify everything. So far the only problem the car has had excessive problems is with the DRL blinker/fog light in front, so i just disabled the DRL and the light now has lasted like 6 months That and the parking deck i work at, it seems i have 10 dings in the passenger rear 1/4 panel from a-holes who have no respect opening their doors.

I shudder to imagine what the A4 Z28 with 35K miles that smoked EVERY time you started it up went through. Maybe they didn't ever change the oil (lease?) or maybe the hose, Who knows.

oh yeah since i bought off a person, i paid $28 for the tag (georgia) for the first year, no taxes. The taxes+ full tag amount you'd have paid at a dealer (varies by state of course) paid for the drag radials, catback,lid, and something else.

The ladies and the (semi-lady) men who buy z28's just cause they like them, take care of them, and dont race or mod the cars are a great source. They want out of the car , dealers wont give them squat in trade in, market is VERY Soft on fbodies right now, all leads to a super deal on a fantastic condition car. The big problem is that alot of people paid alot for these cars and think they are still worth it, Sorry its not bmw, the depreciation hits hard on american cars.

Talk to the bank, i paid $2500 less than loan value allowed at my credit union, the loan officer was like if you wreck it now you'll probably make money (he was kidding i think). At the same time don't insult someone if you do find a cherry. You know they are eating the big one compared to what they paid for it. I did research on my car it had been in autotrader for 4 months no bites, and then on ebay , no bites. Down here the market is uber soft.

Hell i tried to sell my car, for $11K with hptuners and laptop with all mods below, 12K with the GM ss hood/spoiler, NO BITES. It's in fantastic condition (cept for those dings) and comes with a tuner warranty (original tuner will fix any issues, $150 for any future dyno tunes due to major changes in motor).

So i finally gave up and said **** it, im not taking a haircut, i'll just drive it and let my wife drive it and enjoy the car. I didn't need to sell it, just eats alot of city gas driving and due to new house, 110% of my cash flow is going to all the glorious expenses that come with having a new house lol.

good luck man. there's a gem out there, just dont let your heart or ***** get behind your buy, a problem car is gonna make modding it all that more expensive.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

oh yeah sorry to rag the post. Get the loan value from a loan officer and get a replacement $$ from the insurance. DO NOT PAY HIGHER THAN THIS. There are plenty of SS camaro's around. You never want to get yourself upside in a loan or car purchase, have some cornhole t-bone you and be out a grand or two the next day.

Dealers will pay 11-20% under KBB TRADE IN, Carmax (non-modded) about 11-15% under KBB trade in, you should probably pay 0-10% under KBB TRADE IN on any car depending on how much ya Love it.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

Exclamation careful!!

I would be very weary of the rear end being replaced especially if it is only a '99!!! Also, having the car repainted and extra clearcoats on it kind of sound suspicious!!! Either way, good luck!!!!!!!