Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to expect in a used SS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What to expect in a used SS?

The 99 i'm looking at seems to run pretty good. The current owner told me that the last owner took it to the drags up here, and ran 14's. (Corrected). Seems somewhat slow for a M6 car.

As far as mods go, it has a short throw shifter, k&n, !cags, and a magnaflow exhaust. The airlid, and intake look stock.

I heard that the 99's dynoed slower than the other years. Could this be some sort of problem though? The engine does sound smooth. It's just hard for me to judge the power, because of my 80 HP beater i've been driving forever.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Christos
The 99 i'm looking at seems to run pretty good. The current owner told me that the last owner took it to the drags up here, and ran 14's. (Corrected). Seems somewhat slow for a M6 car.

As far as mods go, it has a short throw shifter, k&n, !cags, and a magnaflow exhaust. The airlid, and intake look stock.

I heard that the 99's dynoed slower than the other years. Could this be some sort of problem though? The engine does sound smooth. It's just hard for me to judge the power, because of my 80 HP beater i've been driving forever.
Try to drive at the least one different LS1 for some comparison. The 01 & 02 cars tend to dyno a bit higher. The M6 cars also dyno a bit higher than the A4. Once they're modded though, it's all the same. The whole 14's corrected thing I find hard to believe, my car ran 14.2 uncorrected @ 9000ft DA. I'd double check on that.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:14 PM
Launching!

Should I have a compression test/leak down test performed before I get it?

How much does a shop charge to do this, and how long does it take?
Old 08-23-2004, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I see an m6 that is in the 14's I immediatly think one of three things. Crappy driver, bad weather, or high altitude....most of the time its a comibination of the three. My mods and time are in my sig and I am almost stock, although the times were run at about 800 feet or less. I would just do a complete once over on the car. If you plan on modding it, then what it runs now dosnt really matter.

Fry
Old 08-23-2004, 06:30 PM
Launching!

I won't be able to afford modding it for a while. : (

True, I don't know the conditions, or the guy who did the 1/4 run. The current owner just said it was taken up to the track a few times, and it ran in the 14's. I asked if that was corrected, and he said yes. (I thought it seemed low)

So you don't think it's worth worrying about? The car did seem to have some good power, but it's been a while since I got to drive a friends 02' SS. (He's on vacation right now, figures...)
Old 08-23-2004, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would, like I said before, just have the car completely checked if your that worried. Compression/leakdown, tranny checked out, maybe pull a plug or two to see how they are, check the air filter, rear end (which is probably leaking, dont worry its a 10 bolt thing), brakes, steering componets.....I mean check everything. Maybe wait till your buddy gets back from vacation and take them both for a spin, one right after another. If the car seems funny to you, or dosnt seem to perform to great, then dont get it and keep looking. Just remember the 02 will be faster than the 99, so keep that in mind. It isnt mind shattering faster, but you will notice it.

Fry
Old 08-23-2004, 09:51 PM
8 Second Club

deff check ont he ET maybee a 13.2
Old 08-24-2004, 04:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if you live near augusta,ga they have a gorgeous black m6 ss all slp options 19k miles for $19 at bob richards chevrolet on gordon hwy its flawless and rides nice i rode with a friend who test drove it but he wants a A4
Old 08-24-2004, 06:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Christos
I won't be able to afford modding it for a while. : (

True, I don't know the conditions, or the guy who did the 1/4 run. The current owner just said it was taken up to the track a few times, and it ran in the 14's. I asked if that was corrected, and he said yes. (I thought it seemed low)

So you don't think it's worth worrying about? The car did seem to have some good power, but it's been a while since I got to drive a friends 02' SS. (He's on vacation right now, figures...)
IMO, If you can't afford to mod it for a while, You probably can't afford to fix it if it breaks either. My advice would be to either have a good mechanic check it out for you first or look around for something a little newer.
If you 'think' the car may have problems - Keep looking...
There are a lot of nice f-body's out there, but really good deals take patience and a little luck...
Old 08-25-2004, 01:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

i think a compression test costs around $70, but on an LS1 where the passenger side spark plugs is so difficult to get to, it's probably higher.