New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to look for when buying a Trans Am?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What to look for when buying a Trans Am?

i know there is another thread somewhere where something like this is mentioned but i cannot find it...so...any inputs on what to look for when test driving or just looking at a trans am...i don't want to buy something that won't last.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mybe a carfax report.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

just like any other car. look it over really well. ASK QUESTIONS. alot of people are afraid to offend the seller with q's, but if its my money i dont care! and im personally a little weary of cars that are already modded.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

me too...i don't want it to be modded..the one im looking at has stripes down the hood...and it is a ws6 with 38,xxx miles....carfax's imo suck...my dad is a dealer and there has been cars (quite a few) that have been wrecked and the carfax doesn't show it...the only carfax is good at is if it DOES show something...any question i can ask now before i drive 2 hours to look at and test drive it?
Old 08-26-2004, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

If you have polarized sunglasses they help truly. This is a no-**** thing, if you look at the vehicle and it's been at ALL redone the glasses make stand out as if it were still primered. Also if the interior is leather and it has been freshly baby oiled RUN, this person is trying to get one over on ya, plus it's awful for leather. If the engine bay is clean good, if it is TOO clean and just dripping with 'wet look' stuff BAD. Check throttle response and then braking, most of the rotors warped by about 20K because factory version sucked. Check underneath for the regular leaks too, ask about differential services too and if it's A4 make sure the tranny service was done as well. That's about it for short notice, you will know if it's the ONE when you get there. Besides if anything IS dicked up on it you know where to come for the answers!
Old 08-26-2004, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, plenty of ways around carfax. what i liked about it was the milage history. i figured out that the car i bought was driven around for 20,xxx miles then traded in, and sat at the lot for 8 months! the milage difference was like 5 miles, or something like that. its exactly what i wanted, unmodded and untouched. is it on a lot? i made the dealership tell me if it had ever had any warranty work done to it. thats a pretty good question. as far as driving a long ways, ive been burned on that one, but thats an entirely different post.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

its an m-6...but thanks so far for the help...im thinking about going down there saturday or so IF the questions i asked are answered like i want...i just asked if it had any modification and if the stripes on the hood were painted on or if its vinyl...and then just the usual give me as much info as you can...i'll be pissed if i drive 2 hours there and 2 hours back for nothing...also what do you mean by differential services....like the fluids being changed
Old 08-26-2004, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

Yes fluids being changed, or if the pumpkin is seeping. 10 bolts grenade often as you can see on this board. You will find out what kind of owner the other person was if it had to be replaced, you don't want to inherit a bunch of problems I'm sure.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:06 PM
Staging Lane

Look at the bolts in the door jams / (hood hinge also?) to see if they've ever been turned, the paint will come off of them. Could be a sign the car was wrecked & repaired. I looked at a SS that had a door jam the size of the Grand Canyon...turns out it was totalled previously. My lesson from that was, ask the person face to face if the car has been wrecked b/c they won't offer the info right away.

Pull the oil dipstick and look for any coolant in the oil. As said before, look for any leaks under the car. Engine, tranny, and differential.

Look at the quarter panels for ripples...could be a sign it was raced heavily. Not sure on that though.

Check T-top fitment.

Turn on the headlights and make sure they both come up. Check parking lamps & tailights.

Listen for any knocks & such in the engine...could be piston slap (normal) or it could be bent pushrods...or worse.

Drive it hard and see if the clutch feels good.

Best case is it is documented with any work done also.

Probably more, but hope this helps.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

thanks...i didn't think about the headlights yet...my friend just bought one and his light wouldnt come up..i believe that is and often problem with the pop-up lights
Old 08-26-2004, 01:26 PM
12 Second Club

Make sure all of the body panels are evenly spaced. Pinches or unnevenness should be a red flag. Make sure all paint matches. If it has new tires in the back, it only means that they got fried off.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by baddogz28
Make sure all of the body panels are evenly spaced. Pinches or unnevenness should be a red flag. Make sure all paint matches. If it has new tires in the back, it only means that they got fried off.
im sure everyone will chime in on this one, but baddog, did that MAF help you out any? also,can i get the "fernco bellows" LMFAO at home depot? im gonna get lid ,filter, and all that crap after the cat back, just wanted to know about the MAF.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

those bellows should be at any department store...maf gains are something i know nothing about
Old 08-26-2004, 02:23 PM
TECH Regular

i'd look for any missing paint on any body bolts/hardware not just the door jambs. look under the front to see if the person who owned it took it nice and slow up driveways and speedbumps. look underneath behind the front fenders to see if the fendertabs have been bent. (dealership bent mine the first time i brought it to them for a service...)

get up to about 60 or so and give the brakes a firm push, see if the steering wheel shakes or it darts to one side. check that the spare and the jack is there, and locate the wheel lock key. (someting i didnt do...) look for curb rash on the wheels. look under the floormats for worn carpet.

when you check the oil, wipe some on your fingetip and see if you can see any small metallic particles in it.

test out the radio, but dont have it on when you test drive. listen for wierd noises instead.

thats about all i can rattle off the top of my head atm.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

i have a pic...how do you post a pic
Old 08-26-2004, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

mkay nevermind

what do ya'll think?
Attached Thumbnails What to look for when buying a Trans Am?-ta.jpg  

Quick Reply: What to look for when buying a Trans Am?