New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can Traction control do this...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can Traction control do this...?

So there was some mustang GT at a light next to me and I didn't think the guy was gonna try to race me (b/c I don't care about stop light racing) but then I heard his tires spin so I floored my car. The guy got out ahead of me (big suprise) but I looked at the tach and it read like 6.5k so I backed off (at around 60mph I would guess). During this my low traction light went off b/c freakin traction control tries to engage every time the wheels spin. I really don't like my car hanging out above the redline and haven't ever seen it do that b4, but every other time I've gotten on the car I have had the traction control off. So can the traction control cause that or is it just inaccuracy of the stock tach? or both? (this is the WS6). Nothing bad happened to the car, just scared the hell out of me to see the RPMs up that high and the car not shifting. Drove fine after that.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Traction control should not hold your rpms at any point as long as your foot is off the gas pedal.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

foot was on the pedal. Shifted fine after that. Just annoying on an A4
Old 08-30-2004, 12:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rdavis93
foot was on the pedal. Shifted fine after that. Just annoying on an A4
Yeah, this has happened to me, as well. I havent noticed it at all if I've been running the car for a while, but shortly after I start it up and hit the road, it will occassionally do that when I mash the gas. Doesnt seem to matter if TC is on or off.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like a broken tach for a second. My tach is having all sorts of problems.

If I rev it when I am not moving and have it in neutral, the speedometer will move also....

The other day at the track...my tack got stuck at 5900 rpm. That made it a little bit harder to launch, let alone have consistent shifts.

-Todd
Old 08-30-2004, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

The tach works fine now. It might be inaccurate-but not broken. The car hadn't been running for that long so it's likely that it was not completely warmed up (ran for MAYBE 4-5 min max of slow driving). I'm mostly suprised that the car didn't hit the rev limiter-maybe it did.

what i kind of think is this: The TC engaged and prevented the car from shifting into third gear and I got up to the rev limiter (I'm not 100% sure where my rev limiter is set at).

Also when I got on the car after this, it went up to redline to shift to 2nd and the RPMs only dropped to about 5k, which is pretty weird with a 3200 stall-I'm suprised it stayed up THAT high (I haven't used slicks to determine the actual stall on it)

Thanks for replies
Old 08-30-2004, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would think that if the traction control had any control of gears, it would force you to upshift, not make you hold a gear.

Did you intall a shift kit in the car when you did the 3200 stall?

-Todd
Old 08-30-2004, 12:39 PM
STF Veteran

I wonder if you might have a transmission issue. Doesn't sound like TCS.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

no shift kit.

I'm pretty sure now of what it's doing-the shift from 2nd to 3rd is pretty slow and that was what happened. I did it just now and got better as the car was more warmed up.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:10 PM
TECH Junkie

the speedometer moving when you rev up is normal. its done it on both fbody's ive owned, and every other muscle car ive been in. ive attributed it to the power being put out vibrating the chassis and making the needle move (it was explained to me once, but i dont remember it all) thats how i took it though.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
the speedometer moving when you rev up is normal. its done it on both fbody's ive owned, and every other muscle car ive been in. ive attributed it to the power being put out vibrating the chassis and making the needle move (it was explained to me once, but i dont remember it all) thats how i took it though.
Hmm, thanks for the info!

-Todd

Quick Reply: Can Traction control do this...?