Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Next Mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 11:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Next Mod

I'm new to the board and i need some opinions for my next mod. I have a 99 SS w/ a SLP CAI and LS6 intake. I just ordered my Loudmouth after hearing so many good things about it and was wondering what my next move should be. A friend advised me to tune after ,but i was wondering is the anything else to do b4 because i wont be adding any performance for a while after this.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

hmm...is it an a4 or m6? are you looking for bolt-ons or serious mods? if you're an auto, you definitely need a stall convertor. if you have a stick, get a pro 5.0 shifter. one of my fav mods i've done to my car. very nice crisp shifts now. try and pick up a used lid if you don't have one. tsp seem to be the choice pick lately. i wouldn't know, i have a FIPK.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
hmm...is it an a4 or m6? are you looking for bolt-ons or serious mods? if you're an auto, you definitely need a stall convertor. if you have a stick, get a pro 5.0 shifter. one of my fav mods i've done to my car. very nice crisp shifts now. try and pick up a used lid if you don't have one. tsp seem to be the choice pick lately. i wouldn't know, i have a FIPK.

Pretty much sums it up right there. I would look into some Sub-frame connectors, too.

But get a Lid, some Long tube headers, port your TB then do a tune. If you plan on doing H/C do the LT's and the H/C at the same time if you want to save money on the tune.

Oh and about the lid, you can get any lid.

If JRP comes here, he has some of the best mod guides ever made, I would recommend reading those. Also, if you are new here, one of the best resorces on this site is the search button to get some in depth detail on mods since most of the basics have been debated many times.

-Todd
Old 08-31-2004, 07:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

if you do get lt headers, by all means keep your cats, with the lm exhaust it will sound like **** if you go with a ORY(off road y-pipe), rasp and drone will be horrible
Old 08-31-2004, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
if you do get lt headers, by all means keep your cats, with the lm exhaust it will sound like **** if you go with a ORY(off road y-pipe), rasp and drone will be horrible
It certianly does.

Speaking of comparing exhaust notes...

www.ls1sounds.com is a GREAT resource!
Old 08-31-2004, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

www.ls1sounds.com is a GREAT resource!
I'll second that one, LS1sounds is a great source. You can see some set-ups with loudmouths that sounds like crap if they arent careful on how they mod them. I kind of like how they have so many different set-ups that you can hear what your car might sound like if you go a certain direction
Old 08-31-2004, 08:11 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 08-31-2004, 09:58 PM
Launching!

I have a A4 and right now im still in the bolt-on stage. I did my SLP Lid,LS6 Intake, SLP Cold air induction and just ordered my Loudmouth. I dont plan on doing anything internal so it looks like i'll be leaning towards a Stall. What would ya'll recommend for a nice Stall for someone who knows the value of a dollar Also, how noticeable are the gains from SFC's or Ported Throttle Bodies
Old 08-31-2004, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bee-stro
I have a A4 and right now im still in the bolt-on stage. I did my SLP Lid,LS6 Intake, SLP Cold air induction and just ordered my Loudmouth. I dont plan on doing anything internal so it looks like i'll be leaning towards a Stall. What would ya'll recommend for a nice Stall for someone who knows the value of a dollar Also, how noticeable are the gains from SFC's or Ported Throttle Bodies
A ported throttle body will probably net you a 3-5 RWHP. Sub-frame connectors are an excellent mod to do. They completly change the charactor of the car. I HIGHLY recommend getting those.

-Todd
Old 08-31-2004, 11:40 PM
Launching!

Good SFC's + where =
Old 09-01-2004, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good SFC's + where =
I'm sorry, I don't understand the math equation

Clarify a little and maybe I can help some more
Old 09-01-2004, 12:43 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good SFC's + where =
check the suspension and handling forum and see what the general consensus is concerning SFC's and the differences between boxed and tubular. then when you find the right one for you check with the sponsors; TR, TSP, ect.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lots of GP's and sales from sponsers come through here also. I picked up my SFC's and a STB from ThunderRacing.com for something like $230 bucks. (don't remember exact price, but it was killer) Right now there are drilled / slotted rotors on sale in the handling section for $300 dollars. Good till the 9th I believe.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:13 AM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
A ported throttle body will probably net you a 3-5 RWHP. Sub-frame connectors are an excellent mod to do. They completly change the charactor of the car. I HIGHLY recommend getting those.

-Todd
You would be very happy with the gains that a 3200 stall could give you.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:23 AM
12 Second Club

If you don't have too much cash, I'd get a Whisper Lid from Thunder, and a Fernco hi-flow toilet bellow from home depot for 6 bucks. I installed the Fernco last week- flows better, fits better, and looks better than most bellows. And the price is right.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What would ya'll recommend for a nice Stall for someone who knows the value of a dollar
TCI Super Street Fighter 3500
If you look to go with a converter, you will want drag radials to put it to any use in first gear. The only one that works best with regular street tires is the SY3500 because of it's low STR (~1.7). The SSF3500, Vig3200, SY3500, SS3600.......all good converters. Just pick the one that is right (with right price) for you. Problem is that a converter is not a very cheap mod. You have to buy the converter ($480 min for a new one), a shift kit (the transgo is ~$100), and a cooler (B&M 24k ~$25). Then you have to install it all or have someone install it. A lot of people get a basic (~$150) tune or use a hand held programmer to adjust shift points, but it's not required. Also, as stated, you WILL want drag radials. A converter is the single best mod for an A4 though. Typical gains are a half second in the 1/4 and you lose the dead spots. It REALLY helps at oh, say, 30-45 mph when you get on it.

If you aren't looking to spend that much yet, the best yet more affordable mods for you to look into, IMO, would be:

Ported Throttle Body (small gain, won't feel diff)
Underdrive pullies (same as above, except you'll notice it revs more freely)
Subframe connectors (preferably weld in, boxed, will feel this mod)
Fernco/baker/hump hose mod (won't feel, won't do much, but cheap and every little bit helps)

My words of advice to a noob. FWIW:
-Do NOT get less than a 3500 (or vig 3200) stall.
-SEARCH before you ask.
-Do not run the loudmouth without cats unless you hear it in person first, from inside and OUTSIDE the car. It rasps

Edit: Don't get SLP headers For $$ headers, get QTP, Kooks, or FLP. Middle road, get Hooker or Jet-Hot. Cheap, get pacesetters.

And in case you were wondering (and I know you were ) here is the link for the "hump hose". Just ordered one myself, this thread (and the fact that I just ordered a TSP ported TB) reminded me I didn't have one.

http://shop.airflowonline.com/Mercha...tegory_Code=HH

Last edited by blkZ28spt; 09-01-2004 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

SLP has a good set of SFCs that doesn't kill clearance either.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
And in case you were wondering (and I know you were ) here is the link for the "hump hose". Just ordered one myself, this thread (and the fact that I just ordered a TSP ported TB) reminded me I didn't have one.

http://shop.airflowonline.com/Mercha...tegory_Code=HH
Would you recommend that over the $2-$5 Fernco 3"x3" coupling (smooth bellows)? The Fernco does NOT have the hump in the middle, so I'm not sure if it would need it or not to be effective in the engine. Anyone wanna give advice?
Old 09-01-2004, 01:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
I'm sorry, I don't understand the math equation

Clarify a little and maybe I can help some more
I'm sorry, where would I go to get some good SFC's and what brand. I usually order from Speed Inc. and I'm pretty familiar with the other sites/sponsors.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:54 PM
Launching!

If you aren't looking to spend that much yet, the best yet more affordable mods for you to look into, IMO, would be:

Ported Throttle Body (small gain, won't feel diff)
Underdrive pullies (same as above, except you'll notice it revs more freely)
Subframe connectors (preferably weld in, boxed, will feel this mod)
Fernco/baker/hump hose mod (won't feel, won't do much, but cheap and every little bit helps

Pulleys, forgot about those. Are ASP recommended or the new SLP, also which pulley to get because aren't there different ones like crank, alt, etc.