Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Some Help Here

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 09:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some Help Here

Hey everyone, new to the site. I just bought a stock 2000 Z28. I want it to be loud and I was tinking about mybe some glasspacks. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do????
Old 08-31-2004, 09:42 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look into SLP "Loudmouth" cat back. Don't know for sure if they make it for the Z, but I have that on my 98 Trans AM and it is loud. I also found this after I installed the SLP. www.texas-speed.com/duals.asp Looks like a nice setup. Wish I had another LS-1 to put this on!
Old 08-31-2004, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

also look into a cut-out. they come cheap and then all you have to do is save the money to weld it in yourself or go to a shop and have it done. Non-electric are the cheapest, but there are ups and downs on them. Do a search about them, and check ls1sounds.com they have a whole section dedicated to it. If you want cheap sound its the way to go. This is a lot cheaper than a loudmoth but it depends on what your wanting to do to the car, and how soon you will do it. Good luck.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:46 AM
Teching In

loudmouth is good for a stock car. if your going to add longtube headers and an offroad y-pipe than stay away from it. though it also depends if you like that sound, some people do some people dont, its personal preference. if you search about it youll find that almost everyone has complained about the rasp and drone. some have solved it by switching the mufflers to either a dynomax bullit or a borla xr1 which helps, plus if your running cats it will take care of some of the rasp. gmmg makes a great sounding exhaust and as 99% of this board would agree, its one of the best (esp with lt's). the downside is the price of $700 or $850 with the oval tips, but also consider that you pay for the quality you get, and its definitly worth the money. TSP has come out with their line of true duals with 18'' bullit mufflers dumped before the axle which everyone has seemed to love as well, but you would want lt's before you would buy the setup, but the sound is unbelievable. other popular choices are hooker and magnaflow catbacks. loud is only defined by personal prefence, your going to get a whole bunch of different opinions, (ie: if i owned a hooker catback i would say go with that, same with gmmg, lm and every other system) so the best way is to listen to as many as you can in person. go to www.ls1sounds.com and you should be able to find what you lookin for, also remember to appreciate the exhaust sounds more, you should listen to as many as you can in person. also use the search, theirs tons of info floating around this board by people who have been in the same situation you are in (i was one of them also).
Old 08-31-2004, 11:09 AM
Launching!

if you want it loud and aren't planning on going with long tubes in the next year, i would go witht the loudmouth. it was my first exhaust and i loved it. i was hesitant to go with it since there was an issue with rasp and drone. it had some rasp and drone at certain rpm's, but what do you expect from a loud exhaust. if you're definitely set on going loud then i would recommend it- stainless steel, mean as hell, and can be purchased for around $300. good luck with whatever you go with.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

I ran the Loudmouth on my old '02 SS with exhaust manifolds and stock cats, and it sounded alright. Then I replaced the manifolds with SLP LT's, and the stock cats with the SLP high-flow cats, then had a custom 3" y-pipe fabricated. It's the best F-body exhaust I've ever heard before.

The Loudmouth is PERFECT with LT's and some sort of catalytic converters. It actually sounded slightly meaner than the "stock" loudmouth below 3,000rpm, but above 4,000rpm, she lets loose, and it sounds like a trumpet-like scream. The exhaust actually changes pitch through the rpm range, instead of different volumes of the same sound.

Good luck with your decision, but I'm sure if you get LT's, high-flow cats (or just cats) and the LM, you won't be disappointed. Nobody who ever heard my old car was.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by marinemike1234
Hey everyone, new to the site. I just bought a stock 2000 Z28. I want it to be loud and I was tinking about mybe some glasspacks. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do????
you want loud then i got twwwwwooooooo wwwwwwooooorrrrrdddssss fffooorrr yaaaaaaaa TRUE DUALS.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:42 PM
Teching In

OK True Duals then. The best ones what are they?
Old 08-31-2004, 04:37 PM
Launching!

OK True Duals then. The best ones what are they?
TSP sells the only kit...$420 i think. i believe they are only made to go with long tubes (don't know about mid-lengths, somebody else could chime in with that one). the also dump before the axle, so you wont have exhaust tips. i dont know where you live, but you might want to make sure they are not strict and you will pass emissions. if you want true duals over the axle w/ tips, you'll will have to have them customly made. that will cost $$$. it cost me $600 to go from the x-pipe back over the axle. with out my cam, the loudmouth was just a tiny bit quieter and higher pitched w/ a little rasp than my LT's, !cats, and true duals with the 12" dynomax bullets. the question you have to ask yourself is, "am i going to be getting headers soon." if no, then i say go witht the loudmouth. if yes, then save up for true duals. JMHO
Old 09-01-2004, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Hey thanks for all of your help. I think right now I'm going to go with the loudmouth.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:12 AM
Teching In

I just found a sweeet deal on a complete exhaust system. l/t headers, true duals and cats that are converted from glasspacs. and the best part is.... it will pass a smog test, all for the low low low price of $160.00
Old 09-02-2004, 09:33 AM
TECH Resident

How do you know it will pass smog, where are you stationed or more over where is the car registered? What kind of LTs, don't be cheap and get the wrong stuff just to have it now and then rebuy in two years. I'm going with LT Kooks and catted Y with the GMMG cat-back. Will never have to repurchase anything and will flow just great to grow with my build. LTs WILL NOT pass visual in CA unless you know a shop. A broom handle cat is not a great idea either, you are thinking of doing the redneck racer thing. How can all that be only $160 either? Doesn't sound like a deal when you have to get new stuff 6 months to a yr later. Just my .02 though.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:38 AM
Teching In

Myself im up in Quantico right now. And the reason that its so cheap is becasue i have a hookup that gets everything at a dealer discount them sells it to me for what he gets it at. An as far as passing those tests i know someone that works at the auto shop on base that said the he would hook me up for an extra 20 spot. An d no im not trying to do the redneck racing thing just trying to get a nice loud sound to it.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:41 AM
TECH Resident

Even at cost that seems too cheap for all of that a set of headers will run $300-400 a catted Y (legal way of doing things) is $400 and GMMG cat back $700, or if you want true duals go ahead with TSP for $420. Trust me all of the things you do after getting rid of the stock manifolds and muffler will improve sound. It's always the RASP you have to stay away from. What do you do up there? Armorer?
Old 09-02-2004, 09:44 AM
Teching In

no, im not an armorer im in the amtrak field but right now im a barracks manager for the lt going through tbs. what do you do down in lejeune?
Old 09-02-2004, 09:57 AM
TECH Resident

I sweat and get pissed about location here in Lejeune. How fun you get to play with butter bars all day... I am in track as well, TANKS as a mech. Are you a crewman or mech? 18xx or 2147?
Old 09-02-2004, 10:00 AM
Teching In

no im definately not a mech im an 1833 and the best part of my job is telling the lt's that they cant leave tbs becasue their rooms are dirty
Old 09-02-2004, 10:06 AM
TECH Resident

OK so if you are a crewman I really think you should yield to the mechs on this one. If you want just get coated Jet Hots, they make a good set now based off Hooker's design but slightly improved. Get ORY or catted and then get a real deal cat back not some ghetto rigged cherry bombs or glasspacks. This car isn't a truck and it isn't an old first gen muscle car. Do right by this car and it will be great for you, try to cut corners and it will sound like crap. It will also make your ears bleed and wife complain when in the car. This is my first LS1 but I also have a LT1 and had two other fourth gens before that. The LT1 is a different tone because of the block...different metal gives different resonating tones. Did you ever serve in Pendleton? I had a friend in recruiting that was part of the Yat Yas there, Ryerson.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:48 AM
Teching In

yeah the only time i was in pendleton was in school. so what exactlt would you reccomend to get a nice deep growl?
Old 09-02-2004, 11:20 AM
Launching!

all for the low low low price of $160.00
just remember...you get what you pay for. maybe it will work out and be decent. i hope it works out that way for you. good luck