New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

List of planned mods for my LS1...yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default List of planned mods for my LS1...yay or nay?

I posted this in the truck forum but id like the opinion of the car guys too.....basically think of it as a "overweight" f-body

Ive got an 89 chevy scsb fullsize truck, 4 link, lowered to the ground and I have a 70k 98 camaro ls1/4l60e thats getting dropped in. Id like to do all my mods at once before it gets dropped in for good. Here is what i have planned:

-its already got the corvette single in/single out fuel system from s&p installed with new injectors
-emisions and egr removed
-01-02 f-body manifolds(due to clearance issues), 2.5" pipes, no cats, h-pipe then right back into some magnaflows
-walbro fuel pump(part #???) in a fuel cell
-asp underdrive pulley
-totally custom ram air with k&Ns
-ls6 intake
-possibly a cam? recomendations??? what about price/ease of install?
-computer tune on 89

how does that sound? Im just throwing stuff out there so if im off somewhere let me know
thanks alot
Old 09-02-2004, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimmyp
I posted this in the truck forum but id like the opinion of the car guys too.....basically think of it as a "overweight" f-body

Ive got an 89 chevy scsb fullsize truck, 4 link, lowered to the ground and I have a 70k 98 camaro ls1/4l60e thats getting dropped in. Id like to do all my mods at once before it gets dropped in for good. Here is what i have planned:

-its already got the corvette single in/single out fuel system from s&p installed with new injectors
-emisions and egr removed
-01-02 f-body manifolds(due to clearance issues), 2.5" pipes, no cats, h-pipe then right back into some magnaflows
-walbro fuel pump(part #???) in a fuel cell
-asp underdrive pulley
-totally custom ram air with k&Ns
-ls6 intake
-possibly a cam? recomendations??? what about price/ease of install?
-computer tune on 89

how does that sound? Im just throwing stuff out there so if im off somewhere let me know
thanks alot
For the exhaust, you may want to look at some mid-legnths if ground clearance is an issue.

All the other mods seem solid except for the manifolds. Installing a cam when it is out of the car is not all that car (Well, you know what I mean..not hard relative to other cars). It comes out pretty easy and if you know how to set lifters and install pushrods, you should be in good shape. A 3200 stall converter, trans cooler and shift kit will also be a great mod depending on your gears. What are the gears you are running?

Choosing a cam is pretty tough. Are you worried about emmisions? What kind of power do you want to make? Will you be running stock heads? If you stick with the manifolds, you can't go with a big cam or heads

Give us some more details and we can help you out!

-Todd
Old 09-02-2004, 10:15 AM
TECH Resident

I think he meant that the problem with clearance was on the side of the engine to bay and that's why he kept manifolds. At least that's what I took from it, I could be wrong. I aggree though 285 (way over estimate) or a 218 cam, we can't help unless you tell us what you want it to be.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
For the exhaust, you may want to look at some mid-legnths if ground clearance is an issue.

All the other mods seem solid except for the manifolds. Installing a cam when it is out of the car is not all that car (Well, you know what I mean..not hard relative to other cars). It comes out pretty easy and if you know how to set lifters and install pushrods, you should be in good shape. A 3200 stall converter, trans cooler and shift kit will also be a great mod depending on your gears. What are the gears you are running?

Choosing a cam is pretty tough. Are you worried about emmisions? What kind of power do you want to make? Will you be running stock heads? If you stick with the manifolds, you can't go with a big cam or heads

Give us some more details and we can help you out!

-Todd
thanks for the help so far. Its not ground clearance thats the issue its my a-arms and firewall that pretty much screw up a chance at running any headers. I might look at experimenting or making my own down the road but not now. I thought i heard the 01-02 manifolds were pretty good for flow?

i currently have 3.42s but i might do 3.73s and i need to get posi still.

Not worried about emissions at all, as for power as much as i can on a budget. The trucks mostly for show and a weekend warrior...possibly making to the track a few times a year. is 350hp (maybe 400hp?) at the rears that hard to do? How much power is available without doing cam and heads?

Ive never done any internal engine work but im eager to learn and ive done lots of other mechanical stuff (set up complete suspensions, built frames ...). Not sure if its something i should do or not on this motor since it puts out a decent amount in stock form.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Without LT's, I don't think you could get 350 at the wheels with just bolt-ons.

Damn it , those manifolds will hold you back. I think you could get really close to 400 with a h/c, but maybe not. Ever think of some forced induction, like the sts turbo kit?

-Todd
Old 09-02-2004, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Without LT's, I don't think you could get 350 at the wheels with just bolt-ons.

Damn it , those manifolds will hold you back. I think you could get really close to 400 with a h/c, but maybe not. Ever think of some forced induction, like the sts turbo kit?

-Todd
hmm i didnt realize the headers were so vital......tell ya what ill see if i can get some pics. Maybe yall can tell me if i have room for a certain header or not.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

hrm i had a 90 gmc fullsize 1500 with a 350v8 and i could sit in the engine bay to work on it, header swap was easy on it, trucks have like the biggest engine bays i cant see why you wouldnt be able to do longtubes.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hourang
hrm i had a 90 gmc fullsize 1500 with a 350v8 and i could sit in the engine bay to work on it, header swap was easy on it, trucks have like the biggest engine bays i cant see why you wouldnt be able to do longtubes.
i agree the engine bays are huge..however the body of my truck has been lowered 2.5" so the firewall sits that much further down now. Here are the pics..let me know.
Thanks!

Pass side...

drivers:
Old 09-02-2004, 12:43 PM
TECH Resident

I think you can get them in there, just find a set that you like for the price you are willing to spend. Hell, get the cheapest and then if you have to dent here or there it won't give you a heart attack. would say MAC but the 01-02 manifolds flow just about as well from what I hear. I do believe (but don't quote me) the 00 manifolds flow best though. Wow, I'm sure I'll get flamed for that comment. I think it can be done though. If not off the shelf maybe have Stainless Works or PPC fab you a set, they could make it as a swap set for others doing the same thing as you. Good luck! Keep us posted!
Old 09-02-2004, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah it might work , i mean there isnt really any more room in the fbodies either but they fit. i think it will totally depend on the brand.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey..is it just me..or do i see signs of oil leakeage..right above the manifolds??>>
Old 09-03-2004, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

go for a set of mac mid-lengths, and get the primary's ported. you'll only give up maybe a few horses to the lt's, and since you're not goin for a max effort motor anyway, it won't matter. Vince is sellin a set for $200 right now in the For Sale section.

I'd definitely go for a 224, with a 3200 stall. It will stay decently tight, especially with your 3.42's, and it will still let you take advantage of your cam. Swapping cams is easy enough while the motor is in the car...outside of the car, its a piece of cake.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

are you sure its gonna "drop" in?

its not made the same as non ls1 engines, especially the oil pan
Old 09-03-2004, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

MAC's will definatly outflow stock 00-02 manifolds. I think you were thinking about shortie headers

I think they will fit, but it will be a little tight. Is there any shops around your house that does F-body work? texas-speed? ls1speed.com? mti? etc?

-Todd
Old 09-04-2004, 02:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Full-Force
are you sure its gonna "drop" in?

its not made the same as non ls1 engines, especially the oil pan
well its sitting in there now isnt it! lol yea ive done my research on swaps and im pretty sure ive got it all covered now. Motor mount adapters, aftermarket wiring harness.....lots of work but the ls1 engines are alot better than the tbi 350 it replaced!!!
Old 09-04-2004, 02:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

MAC's will definatly outflow stock 00-02 manifolds. I think you were thinking about shortie headers

I think they will fit, but it will be a little tight. Is there any shops around your house that does F-body work? texas-speed? ls1speed.com? mti? etc?

-Todd
nope no speed shops in my area..so its going to have to be a trial and error thing. I dont know of anyone thats running headers with a truck swap, plus mines been bodydropped so that makes it even more rare.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimmyp
nope no speed shops in my area..so its going to have to be a trial and error thing. I dont know of anyone thats running headers with a truck swap, plus mines been bodydropped so that makes it even more rare.
Try the truck section here, maybe one of those guys would know?
Headers are too expensive to keep re-ordering them and such

-Todd