Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Cobra or 2002 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Cobra or 2002 Camaro SS

I am getting a car next May, and I need your help with deciding between the two. I could get an 03 Cobra, but I would have almost no money to put into it, because it would all go towards payments, or I could get a Camaro SS and mod it steadily. What would you do, and why?
Old 09-08-2004, 12:11 PM
Launching!

Here is my suggestion, since I am faced with the very same hard decision. Although it would be a really fun car, and relatively cheap to mod, the payments are way to high. Buy an 01 or 02 SS if you "have" to have a newer car. The lower payements as well as much lower insurance will reward you in the end. If you aren't car poor, it will save you from alot of heart aches. Trust me things come along that are much more important, like spring break, and you are gonna want to have money availible to go and party. I say find you a 99-00 F- Body, and mod it. Then save the rest of your money for larger mods, or stuff that might happen on down the road.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They should be both Nice cars 2003 Cobras have a lot potential with a bit of money. The Camaro is going to be a lot cheaper I think so you can get a smaller payment and start modding little by little with what you save. I just picked a 2000 Z28 for my wife for a bit over 14 with 8,000 miles. She is not going to modify it but we will put my intake boltons when I go turbo next year or so.

Last edited by Killer_Bluebird; 09-08-2004 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

See, thats what im leaning towards right now, I could get a H/C w/full bolt-ons and hang with some modded 03/04 Cobras, and I would have much more money to spend on my Camaro than I would on a Cobra on a monthly basis.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AllThrottleNoBottle
See, thats what im leaning towards right now, I could get a H/C w/full bolt-ons and hang with some modded 03/04 Cobras, and I would have much more money to spend on my Camaro than I would on a Cobra on a monthly basis.
Well if that's the case get the SS. Get yourself a good H/C package and nickle and dime all the bolt on's. Then for Christmas get a nitrous system and with a GOOD TUNE you can run with most modded Cobras (If you can drive ) . Both cars are great to drive.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

just get a 03 cobra. easy to mod, boost it, get tires, exhaust and yes it will be more money, but you have a warranty and not to mention the beautiful interior. if you are not a hell of a good driver then get a 03 cobra. it is much easier to rev all the way to 7k before shifting rather than shifting quick and trying to squeeze the juice out of a f body to keep up with a modded cobra. in the long run you will run alot faster with the cobra than you will with a h/c n/a f body. it takes alot of bolt ons, weight reduction to go 11s naturally aspirated on a fbody, but it doesnt take much to go 11s on a 03 cobra just boost it up, full exhaust and a good tune and you should be good.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Uh...Hang I think not. Most of the modded cobras running at the tracks near me run in the mid to high 12's. I have seen but a handful of Cobras that run in the 11's. That is not to say it isn't possible, but it is highly un likely you are gonna be just a slow little old SS. I have seen all to many SS's with bolt ons run in the 11's. But have not seen as many Cobras. Trust me when I say this, because I have wanted a 2003 since before they were even released back when I was Senior in HS(2002). You will be plesently surprised at how much faster the SS will feel, the more and more you mod. The torque of the motor is amazing. Not to mention the fact that most Cobra guys base their claims on HP alone. Then the other margine of Cobra guys only race from a role, so.....don't feel that with full bolt ons you are going to be sucking it. With a 100 shot, coupled with all the rest you will have at or around 430 hp, and 505 tq. Do a heads cam swap... and you are looking at 500-550 rwhp and tq. Build the motor into a stroker 408 or 427, and 700 plus is the norm.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

alot of members might disagree with me, but remember that you are already faster out of the factory that most f bodys out there. yes, you will find freak cars in here running elevens on stock internals, but with stripped vehicles, no a/c, etc but what are the chances of you going all out like that and feeling unconfortable to the point that you dont even want to drive that car everyday because it is unconfortable?
Old 09-08-2004, 12:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NA is fun. Get the SS
Old 09-08-2004, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

[QUOTE=whitecamaross]just get a 03 cobra. easy to mod, boost it, get tires, exhaust and yes it will be more money, but you have a warranty and not to mention the beautiful interior.... QUOTE]

Beautiful interior?! I guess it's a matter of opinion, and the fact that it's so cramped in a Stang, but personnally I think their interiors are cheap, ugly, and outdated. JMHO.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

alot better than an fbody interior thats for damn sure. better seats, no big hump on the floor board, and you are already supercharged, what else to ask for?
Old 09-08-2004, 01:15 PM
11 Second Club

If this was me i would buy an SS and put a supercharger on it and kick the cobras *** all day
Old 09-08-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by whitecamaross
alot better than an fbody interior thats for damn sure. better seats, no big hump on the floor board, and you are already supercharged, what else to ask for?
Better seats? Since when? How does the hump on the floor board effect the driver? You've got me on the supercharged thing, if that's what you're looking for, but I never made a comment on that. I'm not saying the Cobras aren't great cars, I'm just making a comment on the interior. Please don't try and put words into my mouth. Personally, I don't like to drive with my knees in my chest, and I don't like to feel like I'm driving a truck. I like to be down in the car, not on top, if you get what I'm saying. Once again, it's a personal preference. I'm not bashing the snakes at all. Just saying the interiors are not all that.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:28 PM
11 Second Club

theres no replacement for displacement, get the SS
Old 09-08-2004, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

These discussions get to the point where all you get are personal opinions.

Ex. I love the style of my WS6 and would choose it over any other F-Body. Others like the SS or Formula or Cobra.

For all out power, stock to stock, I would go with the 03' Cobra though I do not like the body style and IRS.

The SS has a mean look and the LS1.

If it were me I would go with a 01' SS and try to find a 'Beaut'. The 01' is the same as the 02' but a bit cheaper. Then mod it.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok you talk as if buying a blower is just going to the atm and withdraw money and buy it. i think most of us in here cant fork out 6k dollars in one shot that easily so lets be real and think. what are the chances of someone buying an fbody and having money to supercharge it?? hmm may be 1 in every 50 people? specially him since he is still in school. another thing is if you race more on the streets or at the track? if you street race alot more than get the cobra no question about it. a fbody is a great vehicle, it has great potential to be faster than what it is, but with a good amount of bolt ons, good driver and good suspension mods. i am a fan of fbodys, but the truth is that it is long gone. it still performs super strong, but as more mods come out for those cobras it is only going to become much harder to keep up. alot of the aftermarket is gonna start focusing on the new ls2 block. soon enough the only way to keep up with a heavily modded ls2 will be by swapping your ls1 for a ls2 block. companys like mti,cartek, etc are still making aftermarket parts for ls1 until the c6 arrives, the ls2 gto, etc etc and then the ls1 will become what the lt1 is these days. yes of course they will still sell ls1 parts, but as people already see the potential of those new block running low elevens with some bolt ons and you have me or anyone else running low twelves or high elevens with a boat load of bolt ons thats when you are gonna have to give in and realize that technology moves on. my point is that the 03 cobra is just that: new technology waiting to be fully explored. i still dont think that we have seen the most out of 03 cobras, but we are indeed seeing the last steps in heavy mods for your ls1s. the 03 cobra is here to stay and be pioneered by the best aftermarket companys who know the potential of the beast.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:36 PM
Launching!

When it's all boiled down, you'll go faster for less money in the SS. Don't believe anyone that tells you you're going to have to mod the hell out of it, then wring it for all it's worth, and drive perfectly just to keep up with the snake. They make great numbers, and they are fast, but with minimal cost and effort, the SS will see better track times.

If the SS is stock, consider spraying 125. This will keep the stock snakes in your rearview, until you can afford a good H/C setup to go with your spray...then you can walk most of the modded ones.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:37 PM
11 Second Club

ATI procharger, intercooler, pipping, pulleys, mounting brackets, everything = $3500
Old 09-08-2004, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

it is much easier to rev all the way to 7k before shifting rather than shifting quick and trying to squeeze the juice out of a f body to keep up with a modded cobra.
From experience on a stock cobra the belt starts slipping at right around 5k so the boost drops off dramatically so those things really dont pull hard up top in stock form.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

the ls1 is an awesome machine, but it perhaps has reached its potential. its been in production for 7 years and now gm felt that there was a need for a new block. once a manufacturer does that then it rivals all of us with their older block. everyone starts getting behind. look at the website of most sponsors in here and see their inventory on lt1 parts?? it is probably half of what they carry for the ls1 and thats exactly what will happen when everyone starts demanding parts for the ls2. now you have a ls2 engine that can rival the z06 ls6 engine. thats how crazy and fast technology is moving. yes people can tell you to get a stroker kit, supercharge it, spray it etc but in reality how many of us want to spend 6k on a blower? or have to refill a bottle to go fast?? i woulndt be surprised if we soon see a h/c ls2 block putting out 500rwhp on stock bottom end. can u do this with the ls1?? yes you can, but stroking it or doing some sort of major work. what happens if you stroke the ls2?? may be 580rwhp?? insane, but it is a reality check and althought it sounds nice to have money for mods and buy a cheaper car in the end dont get upset if your next door neighbor buys a 03 -04 cobra mods it with half the money you spent and takes you out on the street. i see it almost everyday here in the streets of miami. we have a couple of strong fbodys that are n/a, but when you race a modded 03 with a good driver it isnt a joke. it can **** you off and there is nothing u can do but accept its potential.