Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 Trans Am Value Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Trans Am Value Opinions?

Hopefully I can get some enthusiast opinions on this. I found this '01 T/A on ebay last week.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

Anyway, I live in Ringgold, Georgia, just south of Chattanooga, Tennessee and the car is in Boone, North Carolina. (About a five hour drive.) The car looks pretty slick and only has 22k miles on it. It was at Mack Brown Chevrolet so I decided to go ahead and drive up there and check it out. (I would never buy a car off the internet.) So, I got my dad to ride up there with me this past Friday. Other than him getting a ticket in Knoxville for doin' 62 in a 55, (if we had've done 55 we would've been run down by everyone else, go figure) it was a pretty good trip.

So we got up there and looked the car over good, and I drove it. Mechanically it was flawless. The paint and body are almost perfect. It had a bunch of weird little problems though; the WS6 badge is missing from the back (complete with scratches where someone scratched it off), the floormats are gone, there was a streak of brown paint on the passenger seat, the passenger side coat hanger hook was missing, and the weirdest thing missing was the two studs that the back seat latches on to when the seat is sitting up. Meaning that the seat would just fall forward if you pushed it! They had just been taken out though, not torn out or anything. But, when I pointed all these things out, they acted like I was stupid for pointing it out and they hadn't even noticed any of it!!

Anyway, I realize this is a used car, but for a low-mileage, supposedly 1-owner car (it had been titled twice), they wanted too much dough for me. They were asking $23,000 and the salesman tried to tell us that they "had that much in it" and I said B.S. I've wanted to get one for around 18,000 but since this was a low mileage car, I made my offer of $19,000 and they guy said they couldn't take less than 20! He had the nerve to say that they would rather the car sit on the lot till christmas than to sell it for 19! Is it just me or is that not stupid? It might just be me, but for 20k, that thing better be mint condition. I guarantee you if you pulled up in that car and wanted to trade it in you'd be lucky to get 15k for it. I always thought that car dealers would rather move 10 cars at a lesser price than 1 at a higher price. Well, that concludes my drama story, let me know if I was in the wrong or not!

Thanks!
Chris
Old 09-28-2004, 12:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well, i noticed that it has 98-00 WS6 wheels on it. do a carfax report.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by black00TA
well, i noticed that it has 98-00 WS6 wheels on it. do a carfax report.
I have those same rims on my WS6. I would still do a carfax. And $20,000 is over book so I would say it is right on. However, if you kept looking you may find a 01' WS6 for less but it may not be in 'flawless' condition.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AxlFerry
He had the nerve to say that they would rather the car sit on the lot till christmas than to sell it for 19!
hell, let it sit up there till christmas, and then go pay 17k for it. i guess those morons dont realize that the longer it sits on the lot the less they are gonna get for it!

but seriously, did you give the jerk your phone number? because im willing to bet in a week or so when he really needs to sell a car to keep his job he will be calling willing to drop. samething happened to me on a 2002 Z28 up in dallas. i wasnt even trying to haggle with the guy, because i really loved the car. it had every factory option, including electric antenna! i had never seen a camaro with that. i NEEDED him to drop a measely $550 because my bank wouldny go any higher. he said they couldnt go any lower than their internet price, whatever that was. a week later, after getting a good deal on another 02 in abeline, he calls saying he can get me closer to that price i wanted. ha!
Old 09-28-2004, 08:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

20k is way too much...
there are 02's going for 20k or less in the classified section
Old 09-28-2004, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Default Much Obliged!

Thanks for the support guys. I thought the 01 and 02 WS6 cars had those different style wheels too. There's an '01 here in chattanooga with 30,000 miles, identical to the NC car, except with an A4 but they wanted $24,000!!! I wanted a 6speed anyway. I refuse to give $5,000 extra for a car "just because it's from a dealer". I worked in a body shop for two years, went to college for an automotive program, and work on my own cars all the time so I don't need to pay more for a dealer to try and screw me. I just thought this would be a good chance at a low miles car. Yeah, I left my name and #, but I'm not driving 5 more hours up there for it. And, like I predicted, the car is tanking on ebay. I never see WS6 cars sell on ebay because everyone wants more than book value.

If anyone lives in the southeast and sees a low mileage '01 or '02 SOM WS6 6speed or a red one let me know! They are hard to come by down here!

BTW that car had a power antenna too, I thought that was cool.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would have been PISSED! There isn't anything in the eBay add that would lead you to believe there was ANYTHING wrong with the car. Just goes to show you can't trust anybody anymore. You did the right thing to walk away. Oh, and $15 on a trade in would be more than luck, it would be a freakin miracle! Guy out here honestly wanted to give me 9 thousand dollars for my car?!! Even though they had almost an identical car w/ 10k less miles going for $23,995. What a bunch of A-holes.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:00 AM
Launching!

Dude, I'm glad you let that one slide. I'm not even sure that I'd seriously consider that car even if they were practically giving it away, now. You can find a much better ride somewhere else! If I were you, I wouldnt just settle for whatever you find. Make sure it's what you want if you're going to spend $$K on it. You'll be thankful you did! Maybe it's just me, but that car just sounds too shady... beautiful, but shady.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

I live in Charlotte. About 5 months ago, I bought an 01' T/A with 27K miles. I got it from carmax for 18K. I'll tell you this, in N.C. (at least in the CLT area) F-Bodies are not easy to come by. At the time when I bought mine, I went to numerous dealers and no one had any. Some people said that I paid to much but since I've had mine, there were only a couple of minor problems, which Carmax took care off. The only major expense that I had to pay for was to replace the front passenger side light. Good luck. Here's some research advice that I picked up, the colder that it gets outside, the better chances you have for getting a lower price. But unfortunately thought, in N.C., F-bodies are rare and expensive.