Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whine from engine bay, please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 09:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whine from engine bay, please help

I did searches on this and the other site and found a few things, but was wondering if you guys can help me pin point it. I would have the car at the shop, but being so close to new years, my guys are busy. First off, without dressing my belt squeeks. when i put dressing it goes away, i dont think its the belt because the noise started suddenly. and is way to consistant with engine rpm to be a belt squeel. The sound is very similar to the sound when the engine starts up. It has more of an elctrical sound. I narrowed the sound down to the idler puller/alternator/power steering area. Its very consistant with the rpms and sounds like a small turbo or blower. I have not felt any decrease in performance as i just finished driving her hard and she was pretty ghost. Any suggestions on what to look out for would help, thank you. Oh and please remember its not at all squeal, it sounds more like when you have a system and something is grounded wrong, and you get that constant whine as the rpms go up. Its driving me nuts Thanks.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:47 AM
Launching!

My 04 gto had a bad power pump that make noise,have heard of others also.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do not use belt dressing it is not a good thing to do. I dont know what year your car is M6 or A4, or how many miles are on it. I had the same problem a few days ago and i traced it dont to that same area. Get a flashlight and check your belt for any small cracks on the underside. If you see them, they will be very small get a new belt. That was my problem, it came up suddenly and not gradually, my guess is that the cracks just kept getting worse and the belt stretched a little, causing the powersteering pump pulley to squeek because it wasnt tight enough. Trust me this will fix it, and i dont think a belt is more than 15 bucks. Just make sure to check your tensioner pulley also, ls1's escpecially A4's are notorious for weak tensioner's after alot of miles, i should know 2 days after the new belt was on it slipped off. I put on a new tensioner pulley the other day and its running really well, no squeeks. try it. you'll be suprised
Old 12-30-2004, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check the level in your power steering pump, I had a whine (sounded just like the superchargers on the new Cobras as a matter of fact) a while back and that was the only thing it needed.

New belt is about $30, at the local parts stores here anyway, and I wouldn't use dressing either, if I'm not mistaken, it shortens the life of the belt considerably. That's what I've been told anyway, I could be wrong.

Best of luck!
Taco

Last edited by Taco; 12-30-2004 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 12-30-2004, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, check power steering reservoir. If it's bone dry, it'll whine like a ****.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

I know a lot of people have problems with their idler pulleys squeeling. I'm pretty sure there was some type of service bulletin on this, and a replacement part was made. Might want to check that.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Resident

you aren't even supposed to use belt dressing on these type of belts anyway. Says it right on the package. Its for v-belts only.

I'm about to replace my whole tensioner or pulley here pretty soon. Its been squeaking for awhile now.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5POINT7
Yeah, check power steering reservoir. If it's bone dry, it'll whine like a ****.
I wish mine were that easy. Mine's been whining ever since I installed my cam. Starts at about 1800 and increases with RPMs until the exhaust drowns it out. I even dropped all the belts and ran it for a few seconds 'belt-less'. Still whined. And this is definitely a whine, not a squeal. Nothing I can't live with- but very curious...
Old 01-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Launching!

That happend on my TA. Ended up being a bad tensioner idler pulley. It was like $75, and not that hard to install.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Pull the belt off and spin some of the pulleys. I had a bad bearing my alternator (with less than 30k miles on the car). You could tell when you spun it with the belt off. You should check that one and the idler pulley, and the tensioner, at the very least.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Its probably the power steering pump. Mine is starting to whine, and have talked to several other people that have had to replace theirs also.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Black Z/28
I wish mine were that easy. Mine's been whining ever since I installed my cam. Starts at about 1800 and increases with RPMs until the exhaust drowns it out. I even dropped all the belts and ran it for a few seconds 'belt-less'. Still whined. And this is definitely a whine, not a squeal. Nothing I can't live with- but very curious...
Sounds like yours may be in the balancer or timing set, since those are the only things that spin when the belts are off. I guess it's possible it could be coming from inside the motor, like a pushrod rubbing or a bad rocker arm???

Just some ideas...

My balancer make a sort of rattly, "shink shink shink" noise since the stroker was put together. At first I thought I had an exhaust leak, but I listened with the hood up and it was coming from the bottom of the front of the motor. Any ideas on a fix for this (new balancer???)

Take care!
Taco
Old 01-03-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Taco
Sounds like yours may be in the balancer or timing set, since those are the only things that spin when the belts are off. I guess it's possible it could be coming from inside the motor, like a pushrod rubbing or a bad rocker arm???...
Taco, thanks for the feedback. It does sould like it's coming from the timing set/pulley area. I put the stock pulley back on after the cam install so can't imagine that being the problem. But the timing set sound interesting... I think I'll try to localize the sound some more. Thanks again for the response.

-Jay

Quick Reply: Whine from engine bay, please help