New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How bad is it to activate traction control?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 01:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How bad is it to activate traction control?

Well....
Old 01-16-2005, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tcarswell
Well....
Traction control is activated automatically when you turn your car on. It is particularly helpful in limited-traction conditions like snow and rain. Clicking the button turns it off. Some people even use it at the track to prevent wheelspin. That is all.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pretty much always turn it off, even when it's raining. If you get sideways and it kicks in i think it could cause you to lose control of the car.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:58 PM
Launching!

Its not bad, its good in certain situations, and depending on how experienced or how well of a driver you are. Sometimes you may be in situation where it is slippery (snow/ice) and the traction control is engaging like crazy but you need the wheels to spin in order to get out so you turn it off and let the wheels spin to get out. On the other hand its perfect for those rainy days with a high powered car, when your in a turning lane or decide to get on it a little off a stop light it will keep you at bay letting you know that it is in fact slippery as a ****. All in all turn it off when its dry and on when its wet, icy, snowy, to your discretion. Its like the same thing with guys that dont like abs and some do. I personally didnt like abs because all the cars I drove before my Z28 didnt have it. Now that I am experienced with how it feels and what it does on the rode I think its pretty awesome how you can go barreling into a turn at about sixty miles an hour and be able to get out of it without skidding onto a field and maintaing pretty close to the same speed when you do gain control and accelerate out. Good Luck
Old 01-16-2005, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have disabled traction control in every car I've owned that had it. IMO, it's dangerous. I control my vehicle 100%...not some computer.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:12 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like it. Maybe because I'd prefer the computer to drive at times. ha.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:18 PM
TECH Junkie

ive never had it....and i dont think id use it if i did
Old 01-16-2005, 03:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think the guy might be asking how bad is it for your car, like are you hurting anything if you activate the traction control while driving hard.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:16 PM
Launching!

Yeah I know the function and mines a bit intrusive. Takes my pedal away in first gear hehe. Anyways i was wondering how bad it may be for the drivetrain.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

It is not dependable. I have lost traction many times with it on. And it kicks in just in time to screw you. It was designed for people who are unable to control the accelerator pedal.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

anybody that relies on traction control in any situation can't drive for crap. I don't care how much it snows, traction control can only make things worse/harder for you if you have any idea how to drive a car
Old 01-16-2005, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Another_User
I have lost traction many times with it on. And it kicks in just in time to screw you.
Absolutely. I was in the middle of an intersection with a semi coming at me when it kicked in.

If you're questioning if traction control is bad on the drivetrain or on the car itself, I'd say no.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All traction control does is decrease timing and close the throttle so no, it doesn't hurt your car.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:09 PM
Teching In

The only reason my traction control stays on is so i dont have to look at the light that says its off.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
ive never had it....and i dont think id use it if i did
Originally Posted by unit213
I control my vehicle 100%...not some computer.

either I control it, or nothing does. don't trust a computer to save my life.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:15 PM
TECH Junkie

for those of you that bought your car brand new from the dealer, and ordered options and what not...why did you get tcs if you never use it?
Old 01-16-2005, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

my WS-6 came with it.... i wanted a silver one..and it had it on there..so anyhow i ALWAYS turn it off when im driving and i think itz worthless
Old 01-16-2005, 07:36 PM
12 Second Club

Poeple on this board do not use it but there are plenty of people that do. Their are so many people that do not know how to drive our cars so they rely on it. It makes your car a lot slower though.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:42 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I must be a "bad" driver then. I seriously don't mind it one bit. I always know when I need to turn it off, so I'm never pissed about it. It's definitly good when someone else drives your car that isn't very experienced with that much power. My g/f would probably have a bunch of problems if the thing didn't kick her foot off the pedal.

And actually, since it's so cold here in PA, the drag radials are more worthless than regular tires, and I've actually found that if I leave the traction control on when I race, it's actually quicker because it allows just the right amount of spin. Other wise I'd be in and out of the gas so much it'd be worthless to pound on it.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:55 PM
Launching!

Another group of haters thats all it is just like the abs guys which I once was. I guess you guys must not like the ls1 at all since a so called computer is in control of the entire thing, except your driving techniques and tendencies. They must obiviously not know how to drive if the traction control is kicking in all of the time. Its meant to be used as a safe guard not an actual system that keeps you on the road no matter what. You must have really hated cruise control when you found out it actually drives your car when set.

Let's say you're at a stoplight on wet pavement. The light turns green and you press too firmly on the accelerator pedal. There is slick asphalt under your tires and the wheels begin to spin. The traction control system instantaneously kicks in, sensing that the wheels have begun to slip. Within a fraction of a second, this data is fed back to the control unit, which adjusts throttle input and applies braking force to slow the wheels (some older systems also retarded engine spark). The wheels are thus prevented from spinning and a signal should be sent to your brain saying its bad conditions retard slow down.. If you guys are having that much trouble either your system is jacked up or your foot is too heavy. A lot of people also confuse certain systems like stability control, traction control, acceleration slip regulation, its pretty much all the same crap but it all depends on how much the manufacturer wants to dump on the systems, Germans being number #1, oh yeah they also invented too. You think GM is gonna waste money to put a highly advanced traction control unit into a Camaro, highly unlikely since most guys are looking to do burnouts in it anyway, modify it, and so on. Not looking to push any buttons, everyone is entitled to there opinion, likes and dislikes. Thanks