Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

common exhaust setups

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default common exhaust setups

i've gone to ls1sounds.com and listened to a lot of the sounds, about 2 hours worth, man it was fun! but anyway, my question is: what do you guys think of getting long tubes, mating them to the qtp eletric cutouts, then running the stock exhaust?
some guys tell me running open headers like that may hurt the motor over a long period of time, which is how it would be. i see a lot of you guys run off road y's, do you just swap back to the original stuff when inspection comes around? i did that on my mustang, had an h-pipe and the stock cat-pipe and swapped back and forth but it seems like it would be a waste of time since the electric cutouts are available (i just recently discovered them) i want it to be *****-out-loud-as-h*ll ( however not sounding like a cheap piece of sh*t) but when i take out the girlfriend i want it corked

last question - does running open headers sound like sh*t on an ls1?
Old 01-20-2005, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

firstly, DONT RUN OPEN HEADERS!!! I did it for 3 days, and it is just so unpleasent. And yes, sounds like complete ****!!!! I live in lubock texas, and just had ls1 edit done to erase the check engine light. I run kooks LT's, and a true dual system over the axel. Sounds good but is damn expensive. LTs and a loudmouth sound good.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're stock internals, don't go open headers....sounds goofy, However, a H/C or built Ls1 sounds Wicked open headers
Old 01-20-2005, 02:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by landonew
firstly, DONT RUN OPEN HEADERS!!! I did it for 3 days, and it is just so unpleasent. And yes, sounds like complete ****!!!! I live in lubock texas, and just had ls1 edit done to erase the check engine light. I run kooks LT's, and a true dual system over the axel. Sounds good but is damn expensive. LTs and a loudmouth sound good.
from what ive read here, LTs and LM is really loud, raspy, and drones...ive never heard it in person yet to tell if its as bad as everyone makes it out to be
Old 01-20-2005, 06:46 PM
Launching!

I whole-heartedly recommend the hooker cat-back, but if money is no object go for the GMMG. I run an ORY with my hooker catback and I have no drone or rasp.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn right, GMMG if u got the cash. hooker is good but quiet. i have some gmmg clips on there with LT's and ORY i have more too
Old 01-22-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

honestly... even H/C 346s have no need to run open headers... the sound is pretty dirty but for performance reasons you unload way too much backpressure and dump out much need engine vacuum for combustion. Not to mention the need to retain heat in you exhaust system, one for scavenging, and two for o2 functioning.. Closed loop operation is very sketchy when running open headers.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

if you look on qtp's website you will hear clips of two cutouts right after the headers....crazy loud....but when he caps them he runs it to an SLP DD and it's quieter than stock.