Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailwhip?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 09:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailwhip?

Has anyone ever been in an uncontrollable tailwhip b4? Where your car turns sideways and then you overcorrect and it just keeps happening...Side to side to side untill they can slow down enough to stop? I'm just asking bc im considering a nitrous setup and i don't want that to happend at 60mph. THX!
Old 01-27-2005, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

if you can drive a 13.12 quarter, I would think you could handle the tail coming out some. decent drving should get you out of something like that just fine
Old 01-27-2005, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

Im sure you will do better then this guy did...... https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedia-exchange/267543-lmao-whoops.html
Old 01-27-2005, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

That guy must have felt like a complete dumbass!!
I always skid my rear out...all the time just for fun but just on take-off, I'm a professional at that!! just not at 60mph. that's all i was asking. LOL
Old 01-27-2005, 11:03 AM
TECH Regular

I"ve had the rear end of my car whip out on me...don't know what speed exactly I was going at the time..I was paying more attention to try to keep her from going into the wall. After a couple of whips back and forth she eventually came under control. (I was at the track, she hit the rev limiter at the top of first, and from what we can figure, when she shifted into second it kicked the end out and sent the rear end sideways.)
Old 01-27-2005, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was on the highway once at ~60mph and turned to miss something in the road and it started going sideways...my friend behind me swore that i went almost completly sideways...anyhow somehow i didn't crash...i brought back straight (luckily)....
Old 01-27-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

I was goin up a curvy mountain road right after I got my car and decided to dump the clutch going into 2nd out of a turn. The road was a little wet and I obviously had no idea what kind of power I had (first car was a 4 banger) so I fishtailed up the road for about 50-75 yards til I could calm it down. Got out and there was mud on the front tires from always running off the road, but somehow I stayed on for the most part. Scared the hell out of me, but at the same time was kinda fun
Old 01-27-2005, 01:28 PM
10 Second Club

The day I test drove my car that happened to me from a low. I almost lost it in a ditch too. It's never really happened on the nitrous. I have had the rear of the car come out from under me at about the 1/8th mile marker but I caught it well before things got out of hand. If you know your car well you'll know when it's time to get out of the throttle before it get's out of shape.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

haha come to think of it one time my friend was going down the drag strip in his SS and right twards the end when he went to shift into 4th from 3rd he accidentally went in to 2nd at about what, 90mph or so or what ever the top of thrid is...yikes. The car got sideways for a second but he go it back right away, he got lucky things could of got ugly real quick.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:34 PM
TECH Veteran

It happens, so be prepared. I practice all the time!
Old 01-27-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JackZ28
It happens, so be prepared. I practice all the time!
I hear ya! It's half the fun of these cars letting the rear end get alittle loose.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vertigo
Has anyone ever been in an uncontrollable tailwhip b4? Where your car turns sideways and then you overcorrect and it just keeps happening...Side to side to side untill they can slow down enough to stop? I'm just asking bc im considering a nitrous setup and i don't want that to happend at 60mph. THX!

ive never had it before that i couldnt control it.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Yea ive had the rear of my Z28 come loose on me but unfortunately I couldnt get it under control and hit a jersey barrier going 70mph on the highway. Was switching lanes from the right lane to the middle lane the same time some ******* comes cutting out of the left hand lane going around 90+mph into the middle lane on a three lane highway to pass someone in front of him. We almost hit in the middle lane and I cut back and the rear of the car started spinning back and forth until I did a few 360's on the highway and spun into the left hand lane and smashed into the jersey barrier. Of course the guy who cut out of the left lane took off and left me there to have my insurance company pay for everything. Ah well, after being repaired it gives me all the more reason to mod the thing to hell!
Old 01-27-2005, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

pretty bald ET streets+rain+poor street drainage=uncontrolable whip. i thought forsure i was gonna hit something. came back around and kept going all the way down the street till i could stop. i went a little slower after that

i practice this in my truck all the time with the snow on the ground. little ranger weighs like nothing and i can throw it around like a toy. good practice for when something does go wrong.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:30 PM
Teching In

Just clutch and go up a gear or two...then thank God you came out of it, and laugh at the people around you who think you're nuckin' futs...
Old 01-27-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Happened to me this morning! My roomate and I were coming home from ROTC PT and it had just rained. I just got done showing my new car to my friend when after I left, I pulled out of the parking lot and the car went sideways. I instinctively recovered with no problem as if I did it on purpose...but I didn't. I was only mildly stepping on the gas and had TCS on. Scared the **** outa my roommate and my friend watching must have thought it was cool.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:59 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I lost control of my 94 Formula once giving it too much throttle on a right turn in the wet ... rear end came around and I basically did a 180, but it was right into a parking lot driveway. Wife was pissed though. Last time at the track, the 1-2 shift was hitting hard enough to kick the rear out. First time it surprised me, because my car doesn't usually do that, and I let off. Second time I stayed on it and steered through it ... ran my best time yet goin' sqiurrely down the track.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its all apart of the game. if you don't think you can control it just by instinct, then you prolly shouldn't be doing it. i've had the back end swing around taking up 2 full lanes before at about 105-110mph and again, its all in instinct. you just sweat and wipe ur palms off alot after that happens but while its going EVERYTHING is just in slow motion
Old 01-28-2005, 07:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

I feel like I screwed up a tail-out slide if the car wiggles as it returns to center.. PRACTICE makes perfect

BTW the GTO hangs the tail out nicely -- until the freakin differential unlocks and ends your fun
Old 01-28-2005, 07:34 AM
Chop-Foo Director

I did that in the snow once, but that's the only time

Quick Reply: Tailwhip?