Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why does my car hate me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 08:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default why does my car hate me?

so i waqs driving around all day, and everything was fine. i come back, watch some tv and order a pizza. when i goto leave, im pulling away...and i thought i heard something make a 'clank'. i asked my friend and he said 'i dunno' and i went another few feet and it did it again, sounded like something was loose and hitting the ground...but not all the time. so i stopped and looked under the car, and nothing was wrong. figured it was a fluke, so i pulled away, and it started doing it again. i go back and park the car and climb underneath and check everything out...i was thinking it might be one of my pipes hanging too low, or on of the hangers came off. so i tugged on the duals...everything was fine...i had my friend get out while i drove in a slow circle to see if he could see anything....but he couldnt. im leaning toward a broken tq arm mount ot tranny mount. since i put in the cam, the car will lunge sometimes at low rpms. (like if its in 1st and i let off the gas and the rpms drop, it will start to lunge.) so before i parked it i made a few circles in the parking lot, and was going at a steady speed, and it doesnt do it, but when it starts to lunge a little...it clanks. if the rpms start to drop, and i push the clutch in before they get too low, it doesnt do it. i feel it in the seat of my pants, coming from the rear of the car. its not the rear either. what else is back there that would make it happen, besides tq arm mounts and tranny mounts going out?

thanks,
chris
Old 01-28-2005, 09:48 PM
Teching In

sounds like the tranny mounts to me but i cant be positive
Old 01-28-2005, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

possible U-joint problem check them out very well cause it could tear up all sorts of crap if it breaks under power.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Sounds like a U joint/driveline problem to me also. How many miles on it?
Old 01-28-2005, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driveline most likey; could be some play in the pinion gear when it starts surging at low rpm's.

Mike.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's most defiantley the drivetrain. That clanking is either a u-joint of a busted tranny mount. I would replace the tranny mount with a 1LE unit. That's what I have and it's stiffer now.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

rear might be going.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:11 AM
TECH Junkie

i dont think its the rear. im leaning towards a busted mount. how do i check the u-joints? just look at them? theres only 35k miles, 22k were driven by a 60 y/o women, and the others were by me.

a while ago when i was doing my duals, i had some issues that i thought was because of a busted tranny mount. and i looked at the mount and it looked cracked, but then the issues stopped...so i didnt do anything about it. can i get poly mounts at a parts store? i need to fix this today.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
so i waqs driving around all day, and everything was fine. i come back, watch some tv and order a pizza. when i goto leave, im pulling away...and i thought i heard something make a 'clank'. i asked my friend and he said 'i dunno' and i went another few feet and it did it again, sounded like something was loose and hitting the ground...but not all the time. so i stopped and looked under the car, and nothing was wrong. figured it was a fluke, so i pulled away, and it started doing it again. i go back and park the car and climb underneath and check everything out...i was thinking it might be one of my pipes hanging too low, or on of the hangers came off. so i tugged on the duals...everything was fine...i had my friend get out while i drove in a slow circle to see if he could see anything....but he couldnt. im leaning toward a broken tq arm mount ot tranny mount. since i put in the cam, the car will lunge sometimes at low rpms. (like if its in 1st and i let off the gas and the rpms drop, it will start to lunge.) so before i parked it i made a few circles in the parking lot, and was going at a steady speed, and it doesnt do it, but when it starts to lunge a little...it clanks. if the rpms start to drop, and i push the clutch in before they get too low, it doesnt do it. i feel it in the seat of my pants, coming from the rear of the car. its not the rear either. what else is back there that would make it happen, besides tq arm mounts and tranny mounts going out?

thanks,
chris
DUDE YOU JUST DESCRIBED WHAT MY CAR IS DOING DOWN TO A T!

When you say lunge do you mean you can let off the gas and the car lunges back and forth? I was snatching on my car pretty hard one day raing this other dude and when I pulled off the highway my car was popping just like you described. From the rear and I felt it in my seat of pants. I thought one of my pipes had fallen and was catching on the ground. I pulled into a gas station and it was popping like crazy. The 1st thing I looked for was my exhaust but it was fine. Later I pulled my rear end cover and found a few small pieces of my spider gears in the bottom. I cleaned it out and put fresh oil in it. It still pops on rare occasions and now my car feels loose.

It lunges like I described when letting off the gas and also it feels loose when I snap the steering wheel. I can be driving straight and quickly turn the wheel to either side and then after the car has responded and turned it keeps rocking back and forth for a second or 2. Its like something suspension related has broken but I dont know what.

Whatever is popping is under a heavy load because it feels like something binds and then pops and frees up.

I would really like to clear this up because I thought that maybe their was some slop in the posi unit since the spider gears are tore up a little bit making the car loose.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

If you have a manual, you can usually feel when the tranny mount has broke, you can also feel it hit the bottom of the car, when you take off at the right speeds. If the mount looks cracked then it is broke most likely, because it is pushed up under stress, and it will look just cracked, but when you take the support off it. The mount will just come apart. You can get the mounts, from autozone/autotire, basically any store like that, but you would not be able to get the 1LE mount, you would have to get the standard mount. On the 4th gens they used a different mount than you store will have, but if the guy you talk is smart he will get you a different mount that works just as well. The new mounts have an extra 2 bolts, and a tab to hold the mount from completely falling off when you break them.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:03 AM
TECH Junkie

well, my car lunges at low rpms cause of the cam...like if im doing like 5 mph in a parking lot, and let off the gas...the rpms will drop slowly, and when they get to a certain point, it will start to buck back and forth, and i have to give it gas to make it stop. and that it the only time ive noticed it making the clanking noise. it did feel like one of my pipes was loose and caught on the ground or something, but then it kept doing it. im hoping its the tranny mount of the tq arm bushing. which does make a lil sense to me.

if the tranny mounts were gone, then when the motor started to buck, the tailshaft of the tranny would move since the mounts were gone. and make the noise.

ill have the car on a lift here soon and check it all out.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Junkie

well, its all fixed. there was some support or something above the crossmember for the tranny that a bolt vibrated out of so the tranny was just flopping around. everytime i hit a bump, it would bang on the car. alls good now though thanks for the help guys.