Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Warranty Issues

Do bolt ons seriously effect a persons warranty on the car through GM? I.E. Headers/ORY/Catback/Lid/gears?
Old 02-14-2005, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I wanna know too, what about a Lou's short stick?
Old 02-14-2005, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Seems like a easily answered question since most of you guys have modfications on vehicles that should be under warranty still.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by C.J.
Seems like a easily answered question since most of you guys have modfications on vehicles that should be under warranty still.
There are maybe a handful of f bodies that are still under warranty.

Technically a mod would only void the warranty on the part it modified. I.E. headers wouldn't void the warranty on your AC, but they would void the warranty on your exhaust.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BlueSix
There are maybe a handful of f bodies that are still under warranty.

Technically a mod would only void the warranty on the part it modified. I.E. headers wouldn't void the warranty on your AC, but they would void the warranty on your exhaust.
Technically, if you have headers you could end up voiding the warranty on the entire powertrain because anything that increases power increases stress on all powertrain parts. I had a GM dealer tell me to remove my lid before they would do any warranty work on my old '00 Formula. Some dealers will let their customers get away with a lot though. I've talked to people that have had rear ends replaced under warranty with aftermarket stalls in their A4. But unless you're confident that your dealer is modification friendly you're always running the risk of voiding the warranty on your powertrain by doing any modifications.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:23 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by Martingale
Technically, if you have headers you could end up voiding the warranty on the entire powertrain because anything that increases power increases stress on all powertrain parts. I had a GM dealer tell me to remove my lid before they would do any warranty work on my old '00 Formula. Some dealers will let their customers get away with a lot though. I've talked to people that have had rear ends replaced under warranty with aftermarket stalls in their A4. But unless you're confident that your dealer is modification friendly you're always running the risk of voiding the warranty on your powertrain by doing any modifications.
Yep, it really all depends on the dealers. Even in the same town it can vary greatly from dealer to dealer.

If one dealer won't work with you, move on to the next.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

My friends SS has a clear air lid, SFC's, and flowmaster exhaust and he hasent had a problem with bringing his car to the dealer...
Old 02-14-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NBM2k2SS
My friends SS has a clear air lid, SFC's, and flowmaster exhaust and he hasent had a problem with bringing his car to the dealer...
It all depends on your dealer and their service department.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So if they tell you the warranty is void. Is it done for good? LOL, i mean can i take it to a different dealer or is it posted under the VIN number as a vehicle which no longer is warranty applicable?
Old 02-14-2005, 11:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

my dealer always fixed my ws6 but always went to the same service lady i broke my rear end and they fixed even though i had a stall same goes for my tranny
Old 02-15-2005, 07:18 AM
Teching In

It depends on the dealer. But they DO get paid for Warranty work. I think as long as you treat them properly............
Old 02-16-2005, 12:41 AM
On The Tree

Ask at the dealer before you put any mods on to see what they say. If they say it voids the warranty move on to another dealer and see what they say.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

warranty