New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What "extras" are worth it at a dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 08:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What "extras" are worth it at a dealer?

I finally struck a deal on an LS1 that I should be picking up today. What are worthwhile extras to add on at the dealer? My family insists I should add life, gap and disability insurance so the burden is not on them to pay it off if something happens. They also think that "A car like this probably got beat on so you should just buy the $1700 extended warranty". I think it's all a ripoff. Also, has anyone had good luck with any particular companies that offer these services third party without the dealer profit? Thanks.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I financed my ext warranty in my loan so my monthly payment actually onky went up like 25 bucks. Other than gap insurance I've never heard of disability and life from the dealer...wtf?
Old 02-28-2005, 08:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, they offered insurance that if I die the car is paid off. My dad insists if I die it will ruin his credit since he cosigned. He says "Oh it's only $10 a month. My peace of mind isn't worth $10 to you after I cosigned". But $600 tossed out the window, and my feeling is I'm a 23 year old guy. If I die in the next 5 years it's gonna be in that car and my insurance will pay it anyway.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

GAP insurance is insurance that covers the difference in what you owe on the car vs how much the car is worth. If your putting a large dp I would not get it.

I think the warranty is a rip off but I work on my own cars. If you do decided to get it, make sure that the deductable is not $$$$ each time.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:37 AM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

remember, if you get that warranty, forget about doing major mods to your car. even puny ones have been known to void it at some dealerships (airlids, catbacks, etc.)

i think you will hate yourself for getting the warranty, you will wish you could throw on a set of headers and a cam in about a month, then kick yourself for buying the warranty. its all up to you though
Old 02-28-2005, 08:45 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
remember, if you get that warranty, forget about doing major mods to your car. even puny ones have been known to void it at some dealerships (airlids, catbacks, etc.)

i think you will hate yourself for getting the warranty, you will wish you could throw on a set of headers and a cam in about a month, then kick yourself for buying the warranty. its all up to you though
Old 02-28-2005, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GoldenBird
Yeah, they offered insurance that if I die the car is paid off. My dad insists if I die it will ruin his credit since he cosigned. He says "Oh it's only $10 a month. My peace of mind isn't worth $10 to you after I cosigned". But $600 tossed out the window, and my feeling is I'm a 23 year old guy. If I die in the next 5 years it's gonna be in that car and my insurance will pay it anyway.
Damn your Dad is 1 helluva nice guy..."lets make damn sure that if my son dies..Im not left with his GD debt and bad credit"

sounds like a great relationship...let me guess...he totally agrees with you getting this car right??

sure
Old 02-28-2005, 09:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lnuxhakr
Damn your Dad is 1 helluva nice guy..."lets make damn sure that if my son dies..Im not left with his GD debt and bad credit"

sounds like a great relationship...let me guess...he totally agrees with you getting this car right??

sure
Ironically, he thinks the car is great idea. He knows I love F-bodies, and despite not being a car guy himself, he wants me to have a reliable car because he knows I work and go to school full time so it's important. He tried to talk me into a "practical" car, or thinks I'd be happy in a truck like his, but he's really not giving me a hard time at all about the actual car. He test drove it with me yesterday and was really impressed with how nice it is inside and out and how it performed when we took it out on the highway. He just wants the peace of mind of not having anything to worry about. My interpretation is that most of these services are available elsewhere at better rates anyway, the warranty will be voided even with a lid and a nice exhaust. They say gap ins. is because the car depreciates- but what's left on the loan depreciates too. If someone else totals it I feel like you could pursue them for everything you're out, and right now I'm getting it under book anyways. Same with the life insurance. I think for the same money a 23-yo could get probably a $20-$50,000 policy.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:58 AM
Staging Lane

I always get that GAP insurance. I think its only $400 or something. Plus if you ever get tired of the car, you can wreck it puposely, and owe nothing on it. Then you may get you something better, such as a Z06 or what have you...
Old 02-28-2005, 10:03 AM
Staging Lane

^^^^ insurance fraud and insurance rates, much!! /ace ventura
Old 02-28-2005, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

yeah it's not easy to get away with insurance fraud...and it's quite a big penalty
Old 02-28-2005, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BigBirdWS6
I always get that GAP insurance. I think its only $400 or something. Plus if you ever get tired of the car, you can wreck it puposely, and owe nothing on it. Then you may get you something better, such as a Z06 or what have you...
Never get GAP insurance. If you are paying enough that you need GAP insurance on a car like that you are paying too much. Basically, you don't need any of that extra crap, unless you can get an optional warranty on the powertrain from GM. Otherwise you are better off saving your dough for in case you do have a problem.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:31 AM
Launching!

I bought my 2002 z28 3 weeks ago with only 7300 original miles on it still under original warranty. It got the extended 4/48 warranty through GM for $1350. For me its peace of mind to have the warranty, especially if the car has been around a while.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dsz28
I bought my 2002 z28 3 weeks ago with only 7300 original miles on it still under original warranty. It got the extended 4/48 warranty through GM for $1350. For me its peace of mind to have the warranty, especially if the car has been around a while.
That's awesome. Have fun! At least you do not have to be as worried about breaking something.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

On the EXTENDED WARRANTY for my 2 cents.

I say get it and drive the **** out of it the first few months (before mods) and if she is driving like a gem then cancel the extended warranty and get a prorated amount back.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you do buy an extended warranty get it through GM and not a third party. Third parties are notorious for coming up with any excuse not to pay claims. With a GM extended they are pretty easy to work with. I also agree with "Another User", if you need GAP insurance on an LS1 you're paying way too much for the thing.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:24 PM
Restricted User

Third party warranties are worthless. I have yet to see one actually pay for any repair of any kind. If you can get a GM warranty, go for it. Otherwise don't bother...you'd just be handing some worthless up-start company hundreds or maybe thousands of dollars.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:39 PM
12 Second Club

Get the extended warranty. Its well worth it. Just a window motor on these cars are 500 bucks at the dealership.
I paid 2400 for a 0 deductible, 60,000 mile 5 year and so far they have paid for:

2 transmissions $5600
Two window motors $1100
A/C compressor $1300
new rear end $1800
Front seal $500
Drivers side lifters $1900

and about 10 days of rentals.
Get the warranty, You never know what may happen. And if you are here you are probably going to mod it a little
Old 02-28-2005, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01blufrmla
Get the extended warranty. Its well worth it. Just a window motor on these cars are 500 bucks at the dealership.
I paid 2400 for a 0 deductible, 60,000 mile 5 year and so far they have paid for:

2 transmissions $5600
Two window motors $1100
A/C compressor $1300
new rear end $1800
Front seal $500
Drivers side lifters $1900

and about 10 days of rentals.
Get the warranty, You never know what may happen. And if you are here you are probably going to mod it a little
i think your prices are a little exagerated. $1100 for window motors??????
I think i paid 50 bucks for mine.

Your kooks LT's voided your warrenty. I couldnt wait for my warrenty to end so i could throw in some LT's.

Oh yeah, I bought my mom a car and got the extended warrenty. 1200 bucks for nothing. never had one problem.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by KrazyDan
i think your prices are a little exagerated. $1100 for window motors??????
I think i paid 50 bucks for mine.
$50 for a piece of crap from discount auto huh?

This was GM OEM parts, and a lot of that was labor. Labor I didn't have to spend time or money on.

359 dollars for each motor from GM. $200 in labor each time. =$1100

Your kooks LT's voided your warrenty. I couldnt wait for my warrenty to end so i could throw in some LT's.
Sorry, I don't know who the hell told you that, but you got shafted.
Intake and exhaust modifications do not void warranty. Actually, law says that a dealer must prove that the modification made to the car were the cause of the problem. I had the lifters replaced at the same dealership that installed the headers. I even got a new tranny after installing a TC.