Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Rally Package ground effects

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 07:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Rally Package ground effects

Hello, I found a decent Z on the autotrader but it has the rally package ground effects

Is it easy to remove them or are they molded to the body panels?
Old 03-01-2005, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate those BTW.

I think you can take em off, but it leaves holes or something.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:12 PM
10 Second Club

Very simple and easy to take off but it will leave rivet holes behind. You'll have to have them filled and painted unless you want to live with the holes. The RS wing will also leave holes behind.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been living with the holes for about 2 years now. I scraped everything with those stupid things. When I get back, I'm gonna have the sides welded and painted. The front and back aren't too bad, so I'll probably just leave them.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ugh.... Some people just don't know what a good thing is. It took me 3 months to find a Z28 WITH the RS body package.

Oh yeah, your question.... 's
Old 03-01-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I like those RS ground effects. If I had a Camaro I wouldn't mind having those things on it, especially on a dark colored car.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, take it all off....that's weight. Have they posted what the RS package weighs in the Drag section?
Old 03-01-2005, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

They dont weigh much at all, maybe 25lbs, but I guess every little bit counts at the track.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:46 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tore mine off within a few weeks of owning the car. as stated the sideskirts and rear valence are held by rivets and they leave holes. thee spoiler is tape and i believe its bolted. leaves 3 holes in the quarter panel and a couple on the deck lid.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mr2turbo18
rally package ground effects
Barf?
For real barf?
Barf, are you serious?
I mean come on man, barf?

The sport appearance package is the one of the reasons I own a Camaro. I like it and I like the LT1 style RS's only they dont have the LT1, which sucks.

IMO, if your against it that much just keep looking. You'll find the one you want.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:29 AM
Teching In

yeah, i'll probably just keep looking. Kinda surprised so many people like the ground effects. I just think they completely destroy the lines on the car. thanks for the feedback
Old 03-02-2005, 07:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mr2turbo18
yeah, i'll probably just keep looking. Kinda surprised so many people like the ground effects. I just think they completely destroy the lines on the car. thanks for the feedback
Yeah, this is a 'love it' or 'hate it' thing. My problem is that I'm old enough to remember when GM came out with these 'ground effects' packages. When they couldn't sell you a car based on real power they would bolt on these 'sports appearance' packages (stripes, decals, spoilers, skirts) and call it a performance car. They're telling you everything with the name- 'Sports Appearing' not 'Sports Actual' package. I mean they put these packages on everything from their crappiest 4 cylinder cars to their 'high performance' (160hp Z28) cars. This was all to distract you from the fact that these cars were 'butt slow'.

Those were some dismal days.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I'm definately on the "Love it" team. I like the SS look better, but just BARELY.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

I would have never bought an RS. I will save my comments on how a I feel about the look. All I will say is that it is weight worth getting rid of.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:05 AM
Teching In

if anyone has em for sale, send a pm my way
Old 03-14-2005, 12:15 AM
10 Second Club

Keep looking for a car without them! No point in getting them if you don't want them
Old 03-16-2005, 02:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't understand this whole gfx-hating phenomonon. I think they look absolutely great. I actually didn't realize it was an option that most of them didn't have, and was shopping for an LS1 leaning *heavily* towards a Bird. When I saw mine in a showroom at a Chevy dealer, I said "Damn! Something about this one looks way sleeker than the Camaros I've looked at so far". I left to think about it and look at some others, and still didn't put two and two together until I was at home comparing all the pictures on the sites of the dealers I had been to. I definitely would have gone Pontiac had it not been for the gfx.

I can't imagine people hating them so much they'd rather deal with the holes than have the gfx. Only about 1 in 10 have them. Why have even bought the car in the first place? It was a pretty expensive option (~$1300) for something you don't even like. What's even weirder is I used to have an '87 base model Camaro, but with the same 305 that had been coming in the Z28 for years. I was constantly hearing it from friends with '83-'86 Z's and later people on thirdgen message boards about how much better the gfx made the car look and that I should put them on because Camaros look stupid w/o them.

I haven't had any scraping problems yet either. I have years of experience driving a 2nd and 3rd gens so you learn first not to pull up too close to curbs, hit speed bumps too fast, and how to pull onto hills at just the right angle that you don't scrape.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

Talking

Originally Posted by GoldenBird
I don't understand this whole gfx-hating phenomonon. I think they look absolutely great. I actually didn't realize it was an option that most of them didn't have, and was shopping for an LS1 leaning *heavily* towards a Bird. When I saw mine in a showroom at a Chevy dealer, I said "Damn! Something about this one looks way sleeker than the Camaros I've looked at so far". I left to think about it and look at some others, and still didn't put two and two together until I was at home comparing all the pictures on the sites of the dealers I had been to. I definitely would have gone Pontiac had it not been for the gfx.

I can't imagine people hating them so much they'd rather deal with the holes than have the gfx. Only about 1 in 10 have them. Why have even bought the car in the first place? It was a pretty expensive option (~$1300) for something you don't even like. What's even weirder is I used to have an '87 base model Camaro, but with the same 305 that had been coming in the Z28 for years. I was constantly hearing it from friends with '83-'86 Z's and later people on thirdgen message boards about how much better the gfx made the car look and that I should put them on because Camaros look stupid w/o them.

I haven't had any scraping problems yet either. I have years of experience driving a 2nd and 3rd gens so you learn first not to pull up too close to curbs, hit speed bumps too fast, and how to pull onto hills at just the right angle that you don't scrape.

What he said!! .. I'd ONLY buy a Camaro LS1 with the RS Package.. They look so much sexier.. and, for some reason, lowered!
Old 03-16-2005, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good choice in removing them. Its not difficult just leaves holes (as previously stated)

Quick Reply: Removing Rally Package ground effects