New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turning off automatic headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me explain a little. The light sensor is what's called a photoresistor. It's like a variable resisitor.
When light is present, resistance is low to nill.
When it DOESN'T see light, the resistance gets higher to the point the headlight circuit is turned on.
By shorting out the 2 wires together, the DRL module thinks it is daytime 24 hours a day. Therefore the headlights will not come on and the DRL's will work just as they always have in the daytime. Make sense?

In order to make the DRL's go off, you have to short 2 circuit board points inside the DRL module. This bypasses the DRL module without any negative side effects. Since the DRL module also controls the autoheadlights circuit, when you deactivate the DRL circuit it also deactivates the autoheadlights. That's why you can't have the autoheadlights working, but DRL's off. You CAN have it the other way around ,though, with DRL's working, but no autoheadlights.

Hope that helps, if not, just PM me.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z-6Speed
Yes, I removed the box completely. He gives a warning on that site that it may take out your dash brake light, and it did. He also said for some people it made their hatch button stop working, but it did not affect mine.
The wiring diagrams (2000 F-Platform) show that when you have a manual transmission, ground for the rear compartment lid release relay comes from the parking brake switch. This ground circuit traverses the DRL module on connector C2. So if you have a manual and disconnect C2 it should be impossible to engage the hatch solenoid. And it looks like disconnecting C1 will disable the front turn signal lights (oops!)
Old 03-13-2005, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info. It really helped. Now all I need is time off work so I can do this.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Time off? Took me like 30 mins to pull the DRL module out, solder some wires to it, stick it back in and then add the toggle.

To add a jumper to the light sensor is even quicker.

Just busting your chops.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Question

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Time off?
Haha, yeah! Bring a butt connector and crimpers to work, and do it on your break. Seriously, you can take a 15 minute break, do this, and still have about 10-12 minutes left (depending how handy you are with the crimpers!)...

Old 03-14-2005, 07:54 AM
Launching!

go to a dealership and ask them, when mine went out, they said there was some kind of switch connected to the E brake, if u notice the lights don't go on until u put the E brake down, and when mine went out the was no problem with any blinkersor anything else.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leres
The wiring diagrams (2000 F-Platform) show that when you have a manual transmission, ground for the rear compartment lid release relay comes from the parking brake switch. This ground circuit traverses the DRL module on connector C2. So if you have a manual and disconnect C2 it should be impossible to engage the hatch solenoid. And it looks like disconnecting C1 will disable the front turn signal lights (oops!)

I disconnected C2, I have no DRLs, no auto headlights, and no e brake dash light. But my trunk release still works.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98Z-6Speed
I disconnected C2, I have no DRLs, no auto headlights, and no e brake dash light. But my trunk release still works.
That sure is a mystery!
Old 04-05-2005, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

if you want to turn off your automatic headlights and only have to turn them on by using the light switch, then there is a black box right behind the radio. just pull out the radio and there is a black box with two lines going to it pull out the one to the left i think it is, and if your turn signals dont work just pull the other wire and plug the other one back in. cover it with electrical tape and your good to go. worked for me, since i have halos i had to do it.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Much easier to short the wires on the light sensor. No side effects either. That's what the factory recommends. That's how it's done on all the US spec TA's.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
This is the mod I used. Worked great.

I hate DRLs and auto headlights.

After seeing a lot of people driving in rain/fog and near darkness without any lights whatsoever, I'm glad vehicles are equipped with DRL's. Besides, the headlamps only come on when they need to anyway..no big deal..
Old 04-06-2005, 08:58 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by leres
in your instructions, you say to soder a wire between A and B, what kind of wire did you use, could i just cut a paper clip really small and use that?
Old 04-06-2005, 09:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LiquidFire350
in your instructions, you say to soder a wire between A and B, what kind of wire did you use, could i just cut a paper clip really small and use that?
Like this.
http://www.xse.com/leres/ss/images/drl6.jpg
You could probably tin a small piece of paper clip and use that. Or run wires from there to a toggle switch to have control over it.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PewterZ28SS
After seeing a lot of people driving in rain/fog and near darkness without any lights whatsoever, I'm glad vehicles are equipped with DRL's. Besides, the headlamps only come on when they need to anyway..no big deal..

Ya, between those and onstar, we should all be safe forever

How did people get by before?
Old 04-06-2005, 11:19 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by PewterZ28SS
i just dont like how i lost control over my headlights, they gave me a switch want to use it

Quick Reply: Turning off automatic headlights