New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! Possible 2002 SS Purchase.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help!! Possible 2002 SS Purchase.

Hi everybody,

Total SS newbie here. I've got an opportunity to purchase what looks like a pretty sweet 2002 MN6 SS, but I'm not real sure how to put value to the car as it's fairly modded. Here's the specs:

2002 Camaro SS - NBM, Tan Leather, 6-SPD, Hurst, T-Tops, ASR
SLP Options: Dual-Dual Exhaust, High Flow Air Lid, SLP SS Grill

Currently installed extras:

Performance: SLP Cold Air, Shaner TB (S2), TB bypass, NGK TR6 (.050), Grot headers w/ 3" Y-pipe and Random cats, O2 sims, cut-out, Magnaflow muffler, ASP Crank Pulley, 160 thermostat, cam (224/224 .581/.581 112LSA), 918's, titanium retainers, cromoly pushrods, SLP double-roller chain, ARE oil pump

Suspension: LG G2 Springs, LG poly/rod-end adj LCAs, LG poly/rod-end adj panhard, LG SFC, LG torque arm, Koni S/A front/Bilstein rear shocks, BMR STB, front (32mm) and rear (21mm) sway bar, poly trans mount, Spohn LCA brackets

What should I expect to pay for the above? The car is in nice, but not perfect condition (has a couple scratches, some wear on the interior, etc). It has 43k miles and is owned by a good friend of mine. Most of the mods were done by LG Motorsports. It currently needs brakes and apparently the 1-2 syncho is failing (I couldn't tell though, it's still way better than the MN6 in my vette!). Other than this, it's all ready to go!

Any suggestions/opinions will be very much appreciated.

98PaceCar
Old 03-07-2005, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im not sure how much to offer. normally i would say lowball them, but i see you said its your friend. mu suggestion is go to nadaguide.com and find the value there and give him something around that number.

i wouldnt give him more because typically you cant get the extra money out of the mods you spent on the car.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by luvmeZ28
im not sure how much to offer. normally i would say lowball them, but i see you said its your friend. mu suggestion is go to nadaguide.com and find the value there and give him something around that number.

i wouldnt give him more because typically you cant get the extra money out of the mods you spent on the car.
Well, I don't want this to sound bad, but I'm not going to pay a premium for the car just because he's a friend. If I can get a fair deal on it, I will probably go for it, but it would end up just being a toy (4th car at the moment), so it's by no means a necessary purchase.

That said, I do have a greater level of trust in the car and purchase as I know what he's done to and with the car so I think I have a better chance of not being surprised after the purchase!

I pulled nadaguides.com and it came back quite a bit higher than I expected. From what I can tell by looking at ebay, autotrader, and the local papers, cars like this aren't selling too well at the moment. Is this an incorrect assumption?
Old 03-07-2005, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98PaceCar
Well, I don't want this to sound bad, but I'm not going to pay a premium for the car just because he's a friend. If I can get a fair deal on it, I will probably go for it, but it would end up just being a toy (4th car at the moment), so it's by no means a necessary purchase.

That said, I do have a greater level of trust in the car and purchase as I know what he's done to and with the car so I think I have a better chance of not being surprised after the purchase!

I pulled nadaguides.com and it came back quite a bit higher than I expected. From what I can tell by looking at ebay, autotrader, and the local papers, cars like this aren't selling too well at the moment. Is this an incorrect assumption?
your assumption is right.

now that i know where you stand, offer him somewhere around what you see the others going for. the market is poor on f-bodies right now and the prices are dropping everyday. i havent seen anyone lately get what its actually worht when selling their car. i ALMOST wish i had waited about a year to get mine. i got what was a deal(16k) on my Z but now i could get the same thing for around 12k.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by luvmeZ28
your assumption is right.

now that i know where you stand, offer him somewhere around what you see the others going for. the market is poor on f-bodies right now and the prices are dropping everyday. i havent seen anyone lately get what its actually worht when selling their car. i ALMOST wish i had waited about a year to get mine. i got what was a deal(16k) on my Z but now i could get the same thing for around 12k.
That's too bad to hear. These are killer cars, but I guess it's great for buyers!!

I'm thinking I'll offer $15,500. His asking is $17,000. Even if my offer isn't high enough right now, I may still end up with it if it doesn't sell.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm thinking I'll offer $15,500. His asking is $17,000. Even if my offer isn't high enough right now, I may still end up with it if it doesn't sell.
I got mine for $13,000 - bone stock, supposedly a GM Certified Used Car(arguing with the dealer on some claim issues....another story, though) with 53k miles. With mods like he has, and knowing the owner well like you do, $15,500 seems reasonable - but I don't think I'd go ANY higher unless the car is really a gem.

Or you could just put a whole bunch more money into your other cars!
Old 03-08-2005, 10:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01ArcticSS
I got mine for $13,000 - bone stock, supposedly a GM Certified Used Car(arguing with the dealer on some claim issues....another story, though) with 53k miles. With mods like he has, and knowing the owner well like you do, $15,500 seems reasonable - but I don't think I'd go ANY higher unless the car is really a gem.

Or you could just put a whole bunch more money into your other cars!
Sweet deal on your car! White would be my preferred color!!

I'd love to dump some money into my other toys, but I just can't bring myself to mod my Vette. It's a 98 Pace Car that I've owned since it rolled off the line (picked it up with 6 miles on the clock). I figure something like that is worth keeping stock. My truck (a 2001 Dakota R/T) is in the process of being hopped up as we speak. I should have the new ignition and headers on it this time next week. But even modded it won't be able to touch what a nicely done LS1 will do! It's my daily beater though, so no worries!!
Old 03-08-2005, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sweet deal on your car! White would be my preferred color!!
I'll sell you mine for $17,000!! I've got a 3 yr 36k mile warranty that'll transfer, too!!

I'd love to dump some money into my other toys, but I just can't bring myself to mod my Vette. It's a 98 Pace Car that I've owned since it rolled off the line (picked it up with 6 miles on the clock). I figure something like that is worth keeping stock.
That would be an awesome car to have - and I'd have to mostly agree with you on modding it - you can do a lot without really affecting the whole 98 Pace Car status of it - stick the "stock" parts in the garage, and just do things that aren't too hard to un-mod when you want to go back to pure stock.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:00 PM
Teching In

I'll sell you mine for $17,000!! I've got a 3 yr 36k mile warranty that'll transfer, too!!

That would be an awesome car to have - and I'd have to mostly agree with you on modding it - you can do a lot without really affecting the whole 98 Pace Car status of it - stick the "stock" parts in the garage, and just do things that aren't too hard to un-mod when you want to go back to pure stock.
Hmm, had you caught me a week or so earlier, I might have taken you up on that one!! But as it stands, I made an offer on the one here and he's accepted it! Sheesh, this means I will own 4 cars in the near future!!

I guess my biggest fear with the pace is having something major happen to it. I drove it as a daily driver for about 3 years and have racked up just under 75k on it. It's been backed into (lightly, but bad enough) once and has some rash from normal driving. It's turned into my baby now, so I don't do a whole lot with it other than wash it and drive it around when the weather is nice. Kinda scary, I'm turning into a waxer!!

I guess the SS will take care of that though!!

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm sure I'll be sticking around here for a while!
Old 03-09-2005, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

That SS sounds nice Congrats!
Old 03-09-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm, had you caught me a week or so earlier, I might have taken you up on that one!!

Anyone seen Austin Powers around? How about Bill & Ted?

Congrats on adding to the stable, though!!
Old 03-09-2005, 06:28 PM
CT Hotness

i'd say that would be a great price on the ss.. i wish i waited around a year since i paid a lot for my car, but my car is in absolute perfect condition (i've had shops say my 98 is the cleanest/in best shape car they've seen for as old as it is)... oh well, id go for it if i were u!
Old 03-09-2005, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Talking

You have two options:
#1 You don't wanna buy a modded car, you walk to dealship (or privat party)
and buy one. It might be a bone stock one and an idiot raced it with an ice cold engine. Or it seems bone stock but it was a badly beaten up track car and the owner put it back to stock. "Used cars don't talk."

#2 You buy it couse you wanna have a modded car (if you get a stock one sooner or later you will start modding it save some time researching how to what to do etc. and it will be much cheaper for you too)
If you know the guy who is selling it you know if it was badly abused daily or not.
Those mods are sweet (lots of money in it) and you will love the aftermarket shocks on it.Do a search how much money it would cost you to build up a car like that and how much time.

Price wise...no clue man every state has it's own prices. (I consider it a steal depend it to the Las Vegas prices but try to get it as cheap as you can)

You mentioned some scratches- easy fix don't worry about them.

Well personally I would go for it.
And BTW the car with the above mentioned mods has around 400rwhp
I would avoid a car what was sprayed or boosted.
I hope this helps to make up your mind.

Last edited by TheHun; 03-09-2005 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Anyone seen Austin Powers around? How about Bill & Ted?

Congrats on adding to the stable, though!!
Are you really trying to sell your car? If so, good luck with it!

Thanks! I'm pretty stoked to have it!! Time for some real fun now!!!
Old 03-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TheHun
You have two options:
#1 You don't wanna buy a modded car, you walk to dealship (or privat party)
and buy one. It might be a bone stock one and an idiot raced it with an ice cold engine. Or it seems bone stock but it was a badly beaten up track car and the owner put it back to stock. "Used cars don't talk."

#2 You buy it couse you wanna have a modded car (if you get a stock one sooner or later you will start modding it save some time researching how to what to do etc. and it will be much cheaper for you too)
If you know the guy who is selling it you know if it was badly abused daily or not.
Those mods are sweet (lots of money in it) and you will love the aftermarket shocks on it.Do a search how much money it would cost you to build up a car like that and how much time.

Price wise...no clue man every state has it's own prices. (I consider it a steal depend it to the Las Vegas prices but try to get it as cheap as you can)

You mentioned some scratches- easy fix don't worry about them.

Well personally I would go for it.
And BTW the car with the above mentioned mods has around 400rwhp
I would avoid a car what was sprayed or boosted.
I hope this helps to make up your mind.
Thanks for the advice!! I'm pretty fortunate in that I've been friends with the owner for about 9 years now and I've got a real good idea of what the car's been through. It has been raced a bit, but he takes great care of it and always raced it the right way. It's never had any forced induction or nitrous on it either. I figure it's a great deal since all of the mods are done and all the bugs have been worked out already. I'll probably add a set of heads and a dyno tune and be done with it. I'll have a killer car for a whole lot less money, like you said!

You must really know these cars! I've got the last dyno sheet on it and it is putting 398 to the rear wheels! Your 400hp estimate is dead on!! I guess I did pick the right place to come for advice!!

Thanks!!
Old 03-09-2005, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lilstephsls1
i'd say that would be a great price on the ss.. i wish i waited around a year since i paid a lot for my car, but my car is in absolute perfect condition (i've had shops say my 98 is the cleanest/in best shape car they've seen for as old as it is)... oh well, id go for it if i were u!
You can never compare prices you paid on a car. It kills me to think what I paid for my pace new compared to what I could get one for now. But, I figure all the good times I've had with it more than make up that difference!! Hopefully you feel the same way about yours!!

As soon as I get the money from the bank, it's MINE!!!!
Old 03-10-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you really trying to sell your car? If so, good luck with it!
No, not trying to sell it at all - but I had mentioned I only paid $13k for it - however I'm pretty sure that if someone were to offer me $17k I'd take it.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:57 PM
Teching In

No, not trying to sell it at all - but I had mentioned I only paid $13k for it - however I'm pretty sure that if someone were to offer me $17k I'd take it.
Good point. I suppose if someone offered me 4k over what I paid for mine I'd do the same!!