New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

00 LS1 SS pulley sqeek??? Maybe???

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 LS1 SS pulley sqeek??? Maybe???

My car recently hit 75,000, I took my 2000 camaro ss in before my warrantee had expired and my cat was going out, it was replaced. I drove for about 700 more miles and then this noise from the front of my car came out of no where, around the pulley started to squeek when you turn the car on. It was very quiet at first, but now its horrible As you drive it goes away, but when you start up it sounds like a mouse is running your engine!!! My friend told me to go get a gator back belt, which will reduce slippage and I bought my car at 30,000. To my knowledge, I have never replaced this belt, does this sound like the problemand the solution to you??? What do you think??? LS1 world help me out, I want horse power, not mouse power!!!
Old 03-08-2005, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Mine does that too. My car has less than 30K on it. It started about six months ago. I've heard the tensioners on these cars go bad. My squeaking seems to go away after about five minutes. I should take it in and have it replaced while still under warranty, but I've been too busy.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

I hope that its just the belt streching and not the same issue you are having, don't neglect the problem especially if you are under warrantee still, keep me posted because it sounds to be the same issue. Is the noise loud and gets quiet, and then just goes away as you drive??? Keep me posted on this issue
Old 03-08-2005, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

anyone having this issue also????
Old 03-08-2005, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My squeeked after i brought it out of my garage after it hadn't ran for awhile. Hasn't done it since. Car has 36k on it.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's more than likely the belt tensioner. Mine squeaks for a minute or so after I start the car. I'm about to try to get mine replaced through the GM Certified Used Car warranty.

This is almost off topic, but not quite:

I'm fighting the dealer on some Certified Used warranty items and I had the car inspected by another shop. The guy pointed out to me that someone squirted a bunch of lube on the backside (towards the rear of the car) of the tensioner - whoever did it used the shotgun method - it's kind of a mess. Tensioners only get lubed like this when someone is trying to hide a problem - like bearings failing. Tensioners don't normally need to be lubed, especially like that.

Another issue with the tensioner is, well, the tensioner. It's a spring. They wear out. When they do they don't put enough tension on your belt and your belt will slip.

To find your squeak (if it isn't ridiculously loud) have someone else start your car for you in the morning (or whenever it's been shut down long enough for it to squeak) while you look under the hood. You should be able to tell if it's the tensioner.

Looking at your belt WITH THE ENGINE OFF you can tell it has been slipping because it will be shiny on one side or the other (when it slips it sort of gets polished). Also check for cracking.

Everyone should know already, but just in case there's a rookie reading..

NOTE: Keep your fingers, hair, jewelry, loose clothing out of the engine compartment when the engine is running
Old 03-08-2005, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

I had the same problem with my car, i found my squeak comming from the drive belt idler pulley, so far 7,000 miles and no more squeaking, check out www.installuniversity.com they have a good howto for replacement, hope it helps
Old 03-08-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get a gm belt, not an auto parts store generic brand belt. I bought 2 auto parts belts -$25,$30- then tried gm belt -$60- squeak gone. The belt tensioner wont give you a squeak sound but more of a tap sound, at least that's the type of noise my belt tensioner gave when it went bad.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my engine was squeeking like a bitch 2 months ago. I replaced both belts, and now it's perfect.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:12 AM
Staging Lane

which two belts???
Old 03-09-2005, 03:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The main serpentine belt, and the A/C. The main belt drives the Alternator, WP, and PS. Then there is a second belt that goes straight from the crank pulley to A/C compressor.

I'm sure it was main one, but since I was doing it I did the A/C since it looked old too. It's super easy.

Quick Reply: 00 LS1 SS pulley sqeek??? Maybe???