Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The new guy!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The new guy!

Hey everybody. This is a great site y'all have. I'm looking forward to my future on here!

Anyways, I'll be looking to buy a car in the next 6 months or so. My requirements are a manual, rear drive, preferrably American, sporty car that I can find for about $15k in decent condition. The first candidates that came to my mind were used F-bodys. Our family is GM loyal, so it's only fitting that I look into them. What struck my interest in the F-bodys is their practicality to be a daily driver while still having the oomph to have fun with on weekends. I live about 45 minutes from Road Atlanta, so I'd like to participate in some open track days every now and then. No street racing for me.

So I need some help from you guys. What should I expect to find for $15k? Are there any known differences quality-wise between the Camaro and Firebird?

Also, what's the norm here when it comes to sublte mods? I will probably allow myself $5k or so to equip one properly for the track days I would like to go to.

That's about it. Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I'm really happy to be here!

Take care.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Porkanbeans
Also, what's the norm here when it comes to sublte mods? I will probably allow myself $5k or so to equip one properly for the track days I would like to go to.
Search button is your friend - look at almost any post by Jerami (JRP - Search Button Director).

You can get a lot for $15k or less - I got mine for $13k - auto, though.

Some options were different between the Pontiac/Chevy - again, look Jerami's posts - the Super FAQ has most of your answers. Not as fun as chatting with fellow go faster nuts, but there are TONS of tips in this site, all found with the search!
Old 03-08-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good luck on your purchase. There are no quality differences between the Camaro and the Bird. Most people choose between the two based on styling. For what it's worth a Z28 can usually be had for less money then a Trans Am though. As far as what you can get for $15k, you're probably looking at a '99-'01 LS1 F-body with around 20k-50k miles. You might get lucky and find something with low miles for $15k though. I picked up a '00 Formula with 8,800 miles for $15,500 but the windshield was cracked. I don't know if the previous owner knew it or not but the windshield was able to be repaired. You have to keep your eyes out for good deals. Check autotrader.com a lot. If your requirements are a sporty RWD American car for $15k I'd also suggest looking into C4 Corvettes and '99+ Mustangs. Since you're looking to road race the C4 Corvette would be a good option. Mustangs can be bought for cheap and if you're looking for a near showroom clean car you might be able to score a '99+ Mustang GT in excellent condition with low miles for $15k. The '99/'01 Mustang Cobras have an independent rear which guys like for handling. They aren't as quick as LS1's though...and the seating position is questionable for a performance car. Still a good car though, many people are happy with them...they just don't have the power an LS1 has. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:58 AM
TECH Junkie

If you are patient and willing to travel you can get a very nice f body for less than 15K.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

while looking, check the clasified section here... you can get ALOT for 15k...
5k in mods will definatly get you on your way....
but setting a limit.... good luck...
hp is as addictive as crack....
between both my birds i have spent about 25,000 in mods over the last 5 years... and there is no end in site.... (hey should we start a hpaa[hp addicts anonomouse] 12 step program for this?)
Old 03-09-2005, 06:10 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys. I read most of Jerami's threads and they have been very helpful. I now know what kind of financial hole I'll be digging myself come time to mod.

Thanks again everybody!
Old 03-09-2005, 07:17 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i'd probably pick up a high mileage 98-99 in decent condition and spend the rest in mods. freshen up the motor or throw a new one in (forged 347 will run 2500 for a shortblock), upgrade the suspension, brakes, clutch and hydraulics.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

man there is a huge f-body presence in ATL. You need to hit the southern section and make some friends...we get together all the time and you'd learn alot from talking around...

Ben