Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 12:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat Question

Tried searching but couldn't really find much information on this. I'm wanting to get a Hypertech 160 stat but I've read a few posts of people saying that these are two cold for our engines depending where you live? I live in Indiana, but my car is up in the winters so really never gets driven unless it's above 50 degrees. Anyone heard of issues with a 160 or a 180 for that matter? I would think that the difference wouldn't be that great, it would just be more personal preference.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:09 PM
10 Second Club

no foking way it is too cold, i think gm should've had them fromt the factory- any 160* stat is the same so go with the cheapest- slp here with the fan switch.

i have driven my car in 0* weather, as long as you let it warm up you are fine. i see 170-185 coolant temps with the low fans on all of the time.

you NEED to either have the car tuned to turn the fans on earlier or buy that fan switch, otherwise it'll still get hot. factory fans turn on at like 210*.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:51 PM
Launching!

How do you run your fan? Did you find a diff. coolant temp sensor? Or do you run it on a toggle switch?
Old 03-13-2005, 04:07 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah I plan on getting it tuned to turn the fans on.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2kt/a
How do you run your fan? Did you find a diff. coolant temp sensor? Or do you run it on a toggle switch?
i bought the slp fan switch with the thermostat (btw these are the ONLY 2 things that are slp on my car- slp= too expensive if you don't already know). it plugs right inline and no hacking necessary.

that switch is NICE. you can turn the low or high fans on whenever you want. i then got hptuners and i made it so the fans are on at 160*, but i kept the switch so i can put the high fans on in the staging lanes at the track and so-forth.

i would guess if you were to search you could swap in a different thermo-time switch (the stock fan switch) or play with resistors inline or something, but i just got the switch to make it easy.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Thanks. This will make it easy for me to find. I don't think that anyone probably makes a resistor, so I figured I better ask while the thread is still alive.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sleeperstyle
no foking way it is too cold, i think gm should've had them fromt the factory- any 160* stat is the same so go with the cheapest- slp here with the fan switch.

i have driven my car in 0* weather, as long as you let it warm up you are fine. i see 170-185 coolant temps with the low fans on all of the time.

you NEED to either have the car tuned to turn the fans on earlier or buy that fan switch, otherwise it'll still get hot. factory fans turn on at like 210*.

Actually gas and other impuritys in your oil were designed to be burnt off once your oil reaches a certian temp. When you keep your engine really cold the oil will never reach that temp. Something to think about.

With that said I had one in my old camaro and I changed the oil ever 3k
Old 03-15-2005, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

I was planning on going with a 180. I've read that with mild bolt-ons that 160 is too cool and that 180 showed better results. But that is just what I've read on the board. I would like to see some one with proof either way jump in on this.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlkZ28LS6
I was planning on going with a 180. I've read that with mild bolt-ons that 160 is too cool and that 180 showed better results. But that is just what I've read on the board. I would like to see some one with proof either way jump in on this.
I have a 160* T state but my coolent temps run 185* to 195*.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Actually gas and other impuritys in your oil were designed to be burnt off once your oil reaches a certian temp. When you keep your engine really cold the oil will never reach that temp. Something to think about.

With that said I had one in my old camaro and I changed the oil ever 3k
i have this werid feeling that combustion camber temperatures are way higher than 210 degrees, hot enought to burn up those unwanted impuritys, besides, just because your coolant temp is 160, i dont think your oil temp is 160 as well
Old 03-16-2005, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

good point, liquidfire350, but guys one important thing to keep in mind is the fan situation. When your car is at a stop, i dont care when the t-stat opens, without air going through the raiator, it does no good. Definetly get the fans tuned to turn on low speed at the same time as the t-stat, and have the high speed fan setting activate within 5 or 10 degrees of your t-stat. But a good idea, in my opinion, is to keep the high speed fan activation point high enough to where it wont come on during normal operation. In my case this would be no where under 185. My car runs around 180 when cruising, and so therefore 185 would be a good setting, and the high speed fans would only come on at stops and stuff like that.

This way you wont be replacing fans because they were worn out from too much use. Im sure GM has its reasons for not having the fans on all the time, I may not know those reasons, but I think its important to keep that in mind! Goodluck to all!