New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing A/C compressor difficult?

Old 03-21-2005, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing A/C compressor difficult?

How difficult is it? Can't look at the car right now, but if I remember glancing at it awhile back it's going to be a PITA. Is it worth paying dealership $250 in labor?
I've already got the new one, and a buddy (tech @ non GM dealership) is gonna evacuate and re-charge the system for free.

Anybody know of any write-ups or links on it?

Thanks,
Dennis
Old 03-21-2005, 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

umm i'd try ls1howto.com and look in the heads/cam swap and see if you can use pieces of that...i don't think it would be that hard...
Old 03-21-2005, 09:43 AM
That's what she said...

its not that bad, i would do it myself i was you. there are 4 bolts holding it on, and 1 bolt holding the suction/discharge lines into the back.

there looks to be 4 bolts on the top, but 2 of those are for bolting the bracket to the motor and dont need to be removed, they are the two that dont stick out as far.

make sure you oil the compressor before you bolt it in, then have it pulled down and charged asap. alot of compressor oils like to absorb moisture and this is not wanted. also make sure and change the orifice tube in the liquid line going into the firewall (liquid line has a bolt up by the firewall and another by the top of the condenser). you dont really need to change the accumulator/dryer unless you are getting a warranty and HAVE to buy the accumulator/dryer with it, i think its like 80$ extra.

take off your EGR system (and throw it away ) for the job, makes life alot easier on you. unplugging the heater hoses from the water pump might also make things more accessable.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

just get under the car and youll see what needs to be done! very simple.

like he said 4 bolts

good luck
Old 03-22-2005, 03:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup as said... very simple... 30 mins tops if you smoke a cig mid way
Old 03-22-2005, 08:58 AM
That's what she said...

first time took me 5 hours , i was kinda shooting in the dark, it was a long time ago.

i dont know what the hell took so long haha, i pulled my motor apart to where nothing but the head bolts were holding them on in about an hour a few weeks ago

edit - i remember now, i had to build my AWESOME 2x6 wooden ramps (stacked up) then i had to find a jack that actually worked and some jackstands (that i probably shouldnt have been using). i did it at work (A/C shop) and diddnt have all my tools and stuff.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info/advise guys! Looks like I'll be doing it myself and save the money!

Search this Thread