Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone else done this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone else done this?

I really like the way the SS and WS6 look but they are a few grand more than a regular TA and Z28. So do you guys think i could just get a TA or Z then buy the ws6 or SS hood. Has anyone done this and had it matched and looked good? Are there any other noticable differences in appearance with the 2 cars?
Old 03-22-2005, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, search... of all the forums i've been on , this site has the most similar topics.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:30 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just as long as you don't badge the Z28/TA as a SS or WS6, then you'll be good to go.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

What do you think my TA is? Some people really care about the tag "ws6" or "ss" If that's what you want, then go for it, but if you just like the way they look with the ram air hood, get a TA and put ramair on it. The hoods aren't cheap though.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Regular

The T/A would be easier than the Z/28 since the SS has a different rear spoiler than the Z, the T/A has the same as the WS6 as far as I know, and wheels will be different.

Please do not try to pass them off as the real thing though I alway's hated that.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

i wasnt planning on rebadging them just changing the hoods

btw i thought they all perform equally
Old 03-22-2005, 06:01 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by Slim 04 SRT-4
btw i thought they all perform equally
They do, but it makes those of us that paid an extra few grand for the real thing all whiney and *****-like.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:05 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they do all perform about equally, some SS's are faster than z28's and vice-versa, this issue has been beaten to death.

i dont believe in changing a z28's stuff to an ss hood/spoiler, its just not my cup-o-tea. i believe the z28 has a heritage as does the ss. i like the looks of the SS better, but i just think its a travesty to change those things about a z28. the WS6 hood on the other hand, i have no qualms with. i think he WS6 hood is one of the meanest things ever to be dreamed up for an f-body (besides the ls1 ) and a TA just doesnt look right without one. the ta's spoiler is way more aggressive than the regular hood. there are a few variations of the WS6 hood that look nice as well. (raptor hood, WS9 etc.).

not everyone will agree with this, but thats why not everyone does it. most people do, however, frown upon re-badging cars, ESPECIALLY the z28 -> SS. it has always felt to me like the z28 and the SS were 2 different cars, while the WS6 is more of an upgrade package from the ta.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:06 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
They do, but it makes those of us that paid an extra few grand for the real thing all whiney and *****-like.
self ownage!!!

Old 03-22-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
they do all perform about equally, some SS's are faster than z28's and vice-versa, this issue has been beaten to death.

i dont believe in changing a z28's stuff to an ss hood/spoiler, its just not my cup-o-tea. i believe the z28 has a heritage as does the ss. i like the looks of the SS better, but i just think its a travesty to change those things about a z28. the WS6 hood on the other hand, i have no qualms with. i think he WS6 hood is one of the meanest things ever to be dreamed up for an f-body (besides the ls1) and a TA just doesnt look right without one. the ta's spoiler is way more aggressive than the hood. there are a few variations of the WS6 hood that look nice as well. (raptor hood, WS9 etc.).

not everyone will agree with this, but thats why not everyone does it. most people do, however, frown upon re-badging cars, ESPECIALLY the z28 -> SS. it has always felt to me like the z28 and the SS were 2 different cars, while the WS6 is more of an upgrade package from the ta.
I have to agree 100%, if you plan to mod the car out the butt, get a TA and put the WS6 hood on but like I said, be warned, the hoods aren't cheap.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

where could i buy a ws6 or the raptor hood like the other guy said
Old 03-22-2005, 06:16 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Off the top of my head, I know Sun Coast Creations has them. I think American Sports Car Design does as well.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:17 PM
That's what she said...

suncoast *creations* makes the raptor hood i think, i've never really searched for them because they wouldnt look quite right on a z28

check out the appearance forum or do a search for somthing like "raptor hood pics"

fixed!
Old 03-22-2005, 06:18 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i've got a Z with an SS hood , my car is debadged. i've yet to get the spoiler as its not a priority but i'll eventually get one.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Regular

My original plan was to buy a Z / TA and make it look like an SS/WS6 but foundan SS for a great deal and jumped on it.

The reason I don't like people passing fakes off as real's stems from high school for me. A guy bought a 69 camaro, and told me it was an all original Z/28. When I looked at the car it was not hard to realize it wasn't anything but a poor attempt at faking an original. Nothing I showed the guy would convince him it wasnt a Z, even though it was an automatic, 327, and didnt have the Z28 codes on the firewall tag. But it did look exactly like one. (except for the auto)

I just view these people as ignorant, just a stereotype I have and my .02.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

I went with the Suncoast Creations SS Hood. It fit very well with little modification needed by the body shop and the hood actually looks slightly different than the real SS hood, the scoop looks a little bigger in my opinion (I may be totally wrong but thats what it looks like), which is a good thing. They send you SS badges to put on but I just went and sold them on ebay and left the Z28 badges on. If you want though throw them on because although it may **** other people off its your car so you can do what you want with it, just if people ask if it is a real SS I wouldnt say yes just that it was a Z28 converted into an SS. Stay away from the raptor hood in my opinion, Ive seen one Z28 with it on and I didnt like it. Its too flashy for the camaro. The trans am looks great with the WS6 hood because it was designed to have that look on it but stay with the SS style hood and go with Sun Coast Creations because they do top notch work. Good luck with your decision!
Old 03-22-2005, 07:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
hahahah!
Old 03-22-2005, 07:04 PM
10 Second Club

I found me a "ram air" hood that was all ready painted white. Also got the air assembly for it as well. Its a sun coast hood. I bought the hole set up for 600 bucks. It was a good deal so i jumped on. You might find the same if you are patient.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ALL the parts are interchangable...
you can find ANY hood for ANY car... i have seen ws6 hoods on z28's and ss hoods on t/a's
If you buy the car, then mod it as you see fit and who give a dam who likes it and who dont...

who cares if its a "real ws6" or not... few, VERY few people could tell any differance in a ws6 and ta that has the hood the badges and a rpo sticker from a junked ws6....
Old 03-23-2005, 07:54 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by jaberwaki
ALL the parts are interchangable...
you can find ANY hood for ANY car... i have seen ws6 hoods on z28's and ss hoods on t/a's
I'd like you to take a WS6 hood and throw it on a Camaro - or a SS hood and put it on a Firebird. Show us a picture of how it fits.