Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crashed the 02 WS6--> UPDATE w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Crashed the 02 WS6--> UPDATE w/ pics

So I was coming around a corner at a good pace and ran into a patch of gravel/salt left over from the winter ( ) and spun the car around into a guard rail.

x 10,000

I don't have pics yet, but the driver's front hit pretty hard, spun around, then hit the driver's rear. Things that I can see that need to be replaced:
- front bumper
- both front fenders
- hood
- air box was pushed up
- both headlights (pushed into radiator support)
- rear bumper
- rear driver's 1/4 pannel
- tail lights

Now this is just stuff that's obvious. I couldn't even get the hood open more than 6 inches, so I couldn't tell what else was touched. I'm pretty sure the drivetrain is intact.

Any thoughts guys? Oh, its a 2002 WS6 w/ 12,500 miles.

Last edited by IrateTA; 04-06-2005 at 09:56 AM. Reason: just posted pics - wanted to change the title
Old 03-27-2005, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Bad Very Bad, I Hope she forgives you................

but seriously, sorry to hear that man, dont know what to tell you, in addition to an excuse to go extremly mod crazy, youll feel much pride bringing her back to life and hearing that familer ROAR!!!!!!!!.........................
Old 03-27-2005, 08:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That just sucks. That would make me want to
Old 03-27-2005, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dam 12k miles you just broke that thing in. but im sure she will forgive you
Old 03-27-2005, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it's totalled and you buy the car back I'll buy your engine off of you

-Sly
Old 03-27-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your car isnt totaled. If your insurance company wants to total it, buy it back from them with the money they give you. WIth the payoff from your car from insurance you could definitely have it back in perfect condition.

I say this because I just finished rebuilding my 02 WS6. When I bought it it had been crashed pretty hard on the driver/front side of the car. I had to get a new bumper and headlights, hood, fender, and engine cradle.

I bought the car for $6600, in that condition, and now i'm in it for 11k. Check my CarDomain site in my link for pictures, I dont really have any pictures of the damage on the site so PM me if youd like to see it.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:49 PM
CT Hotness

I'm sure it won't be totalled unless you did some other serious damage to it. I'm really sorry to hear, these roads in the northeast suck. i've even ran into trouble with the sandy/salty roads with my 91 v6 camaro that i drive (even when im going slow). Good luck and let us know how it goes..
Old 03-27-2005, 09:19 PM
10 Second Club

I wrecked my 01, with 16000 on the clock. Original estimate was 12000ish, they didn't total it, but the total bill wound up being almost 17K so they should have totaled it. No structure damadge, but EVERYTHING was replaced EXCEPT for the driver door, pass 1/4 panal, and hatch. New everything else. Good luck!!!!
Old 03-27-2005, 09:25 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by '02 WS/6
Your car isnt totaled. If your insurance company wants to total it, buy it back from them with the money they give you. WIth the payoff from your car from insurance you could definitely have it back in perfect condition.

I say this because I just finished rebuilding my 02 WS6. When I bought it it had been crashed pretty hard on the driver/front side of the car. I had to get a new bumper and headlights, hood, fender, and engine cradle.

I bought the car for $6600, in that condition, and now i'm in it for 11k. Check my CarDomain site in my link for pictures, I dont really have any pictures of the damage on the site so PM me if youd like to see it.

How do you know this? Our cars are notorious for bending the frame on crashes exactly like this. I know of two friends personally who have had very similiar crashes and both were tottaled out. Don't let the car though man, i hops it's worth it to you, cause the first time you start her up after fixing it, it'll make you smile!!
Old 03-27-2005, 10:30 PM
12 Second Club

I'm a licensed auto damage appraiser and do this stuff for a living. Send me some pics and I'd be more than happy to help you out/give opinions
Old 03-27-2005, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Frosty
I'm a licensed auto damage appraiser and do this stuff for a living. Send me some pics and I'd be more than happy to help you out/give opinions
Ok - I'd appreciate the insight. I didn't get a chance to take pictures yesterday before I left to come back to school (I couldn't bring myself to look at my baby again in its condition). I'll be returning home next weekend to get things straightened out, so I'll try to snap some pics then.

The only things that concern me right now:
- both driver's and passenger's doors creaked when you opened them after the crash
- I looked under the hood the best I could and could see that the driver's side of the radiator support was bent/affected.
- The hood is in one piece, but its not even close to aligned with the radiator support.
- The driver's front wheel's camber looks to be slightly off - I'm not sure how affected the suspension is though.

In a crash such as this, is it a standard procedure for them to check whether the frame is true or not?
Old 03-28-2005, 06:02 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by IrateTA

In a crash such as this, is it a standard procedure for them to check whether the frame is true or not?

Absolutely.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

my 94 z was totalled with a 25mph front end collision. as far as i could tell it only needed a hood, bumper both fenders and an airbag. they said they wouldnt have totaled it had it been for the airbag. im kicking myself for not buying it back but i had to use the money i got from AAA to pay off the car. i had like less than a month on a new transmission i wish i had some money back then i doubt they will total yours.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:15 PM
12 Second Club

Just to add, it's highly, highly unlikely they're total the car...granted the rad support sounds toasted but it's all mainly outter panels that are damaged. I wouldn't worry TOO much.

Is the car in Philly or where you live in NY?
Old 03-28-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Frosty
Just to add, it's highly, highly unlikely they're total the car...granted the rad support sounds toasted but it's all mainly outter panels that are damaged. I wouldn't worry TOO much.

Is the car in Philly or where you live in NY?
It happened in NY (where my permanent address is). Oh, another thing - the windsheild washer resevoir is toast also, so that probably means that most things in that area are done-for. Man, when I hit the guard rail, I saw blue fluid go everywhere...
Old 03-28-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Question

Sorry to hear about your car. THAT SUCKS!!! It's kinda hard to tell without photos. My bro crashed his 2001 Monte SS on the way to work on Patriot's day because the roads where REALLY crappy,(N.E. weather) and he totalled his car according to insurance. BUT, it all worked out well for him though. He got over 12 grand for that car he totalled and got himself a BRAND NEW 2004 leftover Supercharged SS which was sitting in the showroom floor. 10 grand right off the bat because the dealership had 2 and wanted VERY badly to get rid of them. So, he lucked out. What I am getting at is, his 2001 had a little over 64 grand on the clock and in very good condition. AND some cash for the brand new tires he put on a couple of months ago. If it's totalled, it'll all work out for ya. You can always buy another F-body or get a corvette and start your modding there. GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 03-28-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Just seeing this thread made my stomach turn. Man I feel for you! I felt sick just reading your post. I dont know what I would do if I wrecked mine. Hopefully I will die along with it! LMAO

Hope the best for you man, and kep us posted!
Neil
Old 03-28-2005, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alot of time they will total it with that kind of damage. You have to look at blue book of car and if it takes more to fix it than blue book they will total it. My guess it will cost 10,000 to 14,000 to fix. If it is bent it will cost more. If they want to tatal it make sure that u know want it is worth that is what u should get. They may tell u it costs alot less to replace that u think. Find listings of cars like yours to show them. Hope it all works out.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by YellowToy/A
Alot of time they will total it with that kind of damage. You have to look at blue book of car and if it takes more to fix it than blue book they will total it. My guess it will cost 10,000 to 14,000 to fix. If it is bent it will cost more. If they want to tatal it make sure that u know want it is worth that is what u should get. They may tell u it costs alot less to replace that u think. Find listings of cars like yours to show them. Hope it all works out.

It's hard to tell without photos.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

I put my old Camaro in a ditch. Ended up being like 6,500 in damage.

Replaced:

Front bumper
Driver side fender
BOTH rocker panels
Drivers side quarter panel
Rear bumper

Also had to blend paint in the hood, doors and other fender.

You'll be ok.

Quick Reply: Crashed the 02 WS6--> UPDATE w/ pics