Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help w/ deciding... Z28 vs. TA

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 11:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help w/ deciding... Z28 vs. TA

Ive been looking around for a little bit lately and I've narrowed it down to 2 cars here locally.... a non-ram air '99 TA and a very clean 2000 Z28. Im at a cross roads as to which one to purchase, so im hoping you guys w/ your experience can help me decide. I like both cars alot, im not really favoring one over the other just yet. Heres a little rundown on both of them.

And both cars are within a few hundred dollars of each other, so thats not swaying me either.

1999 Trans Am (t-tops):
62k miles
A4 tranny
Black w/ tan leather
aftermarket cd player
stock appearing (only thing that sounds different is exhaust note, not very loud though)
small oil leak and check engine light is on.
Interior is in good condition

2000 Z28 (t-tops):
65k miles
A4 tranny
power everything
Maroon w/ gray cloth seats
Stock stereo system
Mechanically sound, FACTORY STOCK down to the paper filter element.
Female driven, owned by my best friend
Car is near immaculate w/ the exception of a very small area on the back bumper where the clear coat is cracked, very unnoticable though.

My buddy is asking payoff for the camaro (around 11,800) and the lot where the TA is, is wanting around 11,500. I will be picking up the TA in the morning to keep for the day and also take to my mechanic for a diagnostic and general overall inspection. There are a few things that need to be fixed on it, but isnt looking major at the moment. I know nothing of previous owners on this car, i believe it was purchased through auction by this dealer.

The Z is as i described, sound as a church mouse. Ive driven it and it feels very healthy and a surprisingly comfy ride.

I like the looks of the TA, but love the cleanliness of the Z. If you were in my shoes, which one would you consider more?

I am a cash buyer if that matters for your opinions.

I am very new to this site, and also to LS1's. I've owned 9 mustangs in the past 5 years, and decided i wanted something new. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Jay
Old 03-30-2005, 12:43 AM
TECH Regular

if i were u id go with the camaro cause it seems like its in better shape and its a little newer. but go with wat u really like cause ur gonna be the one driving it. and a ls1 is a ls1 hope that helps
Old 03-30-2005, 12:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am a die hard Firebird fan but I'd have a hard time buying the TA you described over the Z28 you described for a few reasons. One, you know the owner of the Z28 and you know it's history. Two, the Z28 is stone stock and that's a huge plus in my book. And three, there are some minor issues with the TA. Even though it's just an oil leak and whatever is throwing the chack engine light it would still be a turn off to me. I'd rather have a stock, well cared for, adult driven car over a car with an unknown history that has a few quirks. Pop the door on the Z28 and look at the RPO codes. If one of them is "GU5" it has the optional 3.23 gears. If I were you and the Z28 had the 3.23's as opposed to the standard 2.73's that would be a huge selling point to me...possibly the deal maker. Also the 2000's had improved exhaust manifolds. I'd go with the Z28 even though I think the Firebirds look a whole lot better inside and out. That maroon color is fairly rare and I think it looks great so I could live with it if it was me. By the way I'm a Mustang guy myself.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:25 AM
Teching In

Default thanks guys

I am leaning a little towards the camaro the more i think about it. Once i get the TA inspected tomorrow will give me a bigger yay or nay on it. My buddy is the second owner of the camaro and has ALL documentation on it including a carfax and the like.

We'll see how the TA acts tomorrow. The dealer isnt wanting to be too negotiable on it, which is also another negative to the TA. Thanks for the responses.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:31 AM
Staging Lane

Diehard Trans am fan! I have a 2001 cammed WS6, and i love it , 6 speed. Good luck with it, at least both are F-Bodies!
Old 03-30-2005, 08:38 AM
On The Tree

When I got rid of my 94 Z28, I was looking for a Trans Am, and would not settle for a camaro,b ut if those were my two choices, I'd go for the Z28. I dont like the "details" ont he TA, it could mean trouble.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not because I have one... But the Camaro sounds like the best deal. Just my .02 worth.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Martingale summed it up for me,you know the history and owner of the stock z28.I'm with you on the Pontiac looks,but if that Z is extra clean,I'd go for it.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:52 PM
Teching In

I do believe im going to take the '00 Z. The more i see it the more i want it. The car is very clean, and id love to own it. If all goes as it should it will be mine within a couple weeks.

Then i'll be back w/ all the typical newbie questions about modding it.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

go with the z28, sounds like a better deal.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:11 PM
Launching!

The camaro is obviously the better of the two, mechanically. If you're still preferring the looks of the TA, then keep waiting till you find the one that you love. It's no different than getting married - dont settle for one that you're luke warm about.

Haha, but then if I used that analogy, I'd probably tell you never to buy one. LOL.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After Black ZO6 motorsport wheels, you won't look back.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

if you want a firebird,look for another one-if u don't care,the z sounds like you know it-get it....
Old 04-05-2005, 02:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd take the ta, but im biased, have the dealer pull the code on the SES light and if it requires fixing see if they will deal with it and fix the oil leak, if not take the z if those are you only options.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:02 AM
Banned

Go with the Z!
Old 04-05-2005, 09:31 AM
11 Second Club

I'd say the Z since it seems to be in better shape.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the Z. When I was looking for a new car, I knew that I wanted an F-Body. I've always wanted a black TA, but all of the ones around here were either WAYYY to high on price or a clunker.

I stumbled upon my Z while I was going to get a haircut. I found that it was BONE stock, driven by an older (50's) gentleman, who had even followed the little maintainance guide in the back of the manual, he had reciepts and everything! I love the TA bodystyle, but I just couldn't turn down that deal. I've never regretted it, and I love my Z!

Just thought I'd give ya my story.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jet_black
Go with the Z. When I was looking for a new car, I knew that I wanted an F-Body. I've always wanted a black TA, but all of the ones around here were either WAYYY to high on price or a clunker.

I stumbled upon my Z while I was going to get a haircut. I found that it was BONE stock, driven by an older (50's) gentleman, who had even followed the little maintainance guide in the back of the manual, he had reciepts and everything! I love the TA bodystyle, but I just couldn't turn down that deal. I've never regretted it, and I love my Z!

Just thought I'd give ya my story.
Awsome story man. I do like the looks of the TA, but i came across the camaro long before i started looking into an f bod. The camaro was my first choice, but when i thought i couldnt swing the cash for it i started looking at used lots locally and happened across the TA. The car did catch my eye obviously, it was a nice clean car but started having too much wrong w/ it the more i looked it over. (knick in the front bumper, remote for alarm didnt work, oil leak, low coolant, C/E light, etc...).

I tried getting the dealer to come down on the price but felt like i was beating a dead horse. Any repairs to this car would have had to be made at my exspense, and im not going to pay 12k for a car i have to spend more money on just to get it where im happy. Beautiful car, but not what im going to buy.

Just as i was feeling in the dumps, my mother out of nowhere happens along and starts talking to me about the Z my friend owns. She had seen the car many times (my buddy had let me borrow it on more than one occasion to get a "feel" for it) and knew how badly i wanted it. She then told me she would loan me about 5.5k to make up the difference i was short to paying cash for it, as my credit will not allow for a loan on one.

If/when i get the Z, i wont feel as if i have "settled" for anything. I would proudly drive/modify it. I feel just as at home behind the wheel of the Z as i did the TA... as well as the 9 previous mustangs ive owned.

The Z also has more options that the TA does not, like the controls for the stereo on the wheel and the factory stereo. Only thing the TA has that the Z doesnt is tan leather seats (which the dealer told me were black before he showed me the car).

The TA's are getting a little scarce here, so my options are a little limited. Z's are a dime a dozen though, but same as where you are, they are ungodly overpriced and no where near as clean as the '00 for 11.8k (i.e- 2001 maroon 6 speed, 28k miles, talked him "down" to 16.9k- 2002 pewter Z, 32k miles, auto, talked him "down" to 15.5k)

I can already see the Z wearing a nice long tube exhaust system and a harwood hood. I think i know what im going with. Keep the feedback coming guys, if i can get some pics of both cars ill post them up for you to take a look.

Jay
Old 04-05-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get the Z28, the TA seems to come with too much trouble. I also second guessed my descion to buy my camaro, down to the last signature. But I have been happy with my camaro, simple mods gets these cars moving fast.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:09 PM
Staging Lane

Get the camaro if a newer ls1 is already having problems like oil leaks and stuff like that you have no idea how it was treated. I have my camaro modded a bit, and I have had no problems with it, maybe because I dont race it around or abuse it?