Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb Newbie Car Jack/jack stand Q's

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 03:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb Newbie Car Jack/jack stand Q's

This just might be the dumbest of all questions that you guys have probably been asked but I am still gonna ask.

Since I am no longer living with the rents I no longer have access to my dads car jack and jack stands. While I was at autozone today, I noticed they had a 1 1/2 ton capacity car jack for 150.00 by 'Big Red' (I think). It looked decent for the most part but what really caught my eye was the fact that it looked like a low profile type which would slide under my car with no problems since I am on sportlines and have TD's. clearance is a big issue for me so I need something that will work for this.

Anyways, my question is how do I know which type will work for my car in terms of weight capacity. I know these cars are like 3500lbs or something so will a 1 1/2 ton work and be safe or should i look for a 3 ton capacity jack?? And with jack stands, should I look for 1 1/2 ton, 2 ton, 3 ton? or what?

are there any better companys to buy from over another? specific models? I dont want to spend top dollar on this unless i really have to or should.

TIA
Old 04-01-2005, 04:04 AM
Teching In

just noticed that Sears has a similar floor jack from Craftsman for $88.00. Identical to the autozone jack, same weight capacity, and way lower price! any suggestions???
Old 04-01-2005, 04:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your car weighs 3200-3500 ... that is true.... but if you are trying to jack the whole car up at the same time i would LOVE to see the video

but really... either of those is fine...
sears will back the warrenty much better
Old 04-01-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure on the "Big Red" and if that is just Autozone's brand, but I'd definately go with the Sears. Probably better quality, but I'd recommend a 3 ton. My dad has one that's almost 15 years old, and still works like a charm. Just make sure you get it positioned on the subframe and no where near the the joint where the inner fender and outer fender meet otherwise you'll be facing about a $3k mistake which I learned the hard way.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the bigger and stronger u can get the better. Or at least thats what I would want when Im working under a car.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nvrstsfd23
the bigger and stronger u can get the better. Or at least thats what I would want when Im working under a car.

don't take any chances, I'd get the strongest I could find. wouldn't wanna get OWNED by my own car
Old 04-03-2005, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nvrstsfd23
When tools for lifting are designed, they have a built in safety factor. And you will never be lifting 3000 pounds (1 1/2 tons) at once unless you're real good at balancing. The most you'll lift is maybe a thousand, so a 1 1/2 ton jack is way plenty.

You probably already know this, but when working under the car, never work with it just on the jack - use the jack stand, on LEVEL HARD surfaces.

A 5 ton jack for a 3500 pound car is overkill. You just don't need it.

Sears runs a special on theirs every now and again - 50% off with the jack stands for like $30 - that's how I got mine.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

i have a craftsman 3 ton jack with two, 3 ton jack stands. I also have two, 3 and a half ton jack stands.....even though a two ton set would prob do you good i just for the hell of it used the three and a halfs to hold the front up and the 3's to hold the back up. also if your f-body has that plastic guard in the front, rather then going threw the trouble of removing the thing you can just use the metal panel right behind it to jack and it will go up just fine. Also one thing to watch for is when you set your stands in place make sure if your car still is like an inch above the stands you let the jack down as light as possible or it can distribute pressure pretty close to the plastic parts on your body....it happened to me and bent up the bottom of my step panels a little bit
Old 04-26-2005, 05:23 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

well I got a 1 1/2 ton jack last weekend and some 6 ton stands. I know the stands are overkill but I like th wide base they have makes me feel safer spending the extra $10. However, the jack kinda scares me, I drove my car up on some 2x10's to get the clearence to my K member. I began jacking te car up. after I have jacked te jack up about 6 inches the wheels began to lift off the ground but I swear the jack began to slide off the K member, I almost **** a brick. I let the jack down and havent used it since. anyone have a similar experiance.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

i got a jack for you:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91039
$79, 3k lbs, lightweight alum.
gotta love harbor freight
Old 04-27-2005, 07:39 AM
Staging Lane

the jack didnt slide it moved because it is supposed to roll in under the car

i bought the one from autozone and have been using it for over a year and have never had problem one with it
Old 04-27-2005, 03:06 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

No i know that jacks are supposed to roll a little. The pad began to slide off the K member. when I look under it now there are two marks about 1 inch long from when it was slipping
Old 04-27-2005, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my shitty little 2 1/2 ton walmart jack slide all the time at my apartment complex. I also own a nice 3 1/2 ton jack from sears, along with a pair of three ton and a pair of 3 1/2 ton stand but I normally don't want to carry the damn thing down to the parking lot.

It slides because the asphalt in my shitty parking lot is so weak that the jack's wheels sink into it and refuse to slide.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 5 year old Craftsman 3 ton SUV jack that has been abused the whole time I've had it. I also have a set of the 3 ton highrise stands. ( I used to have a big truck ) It's served me well. I'd definitely buy Craftsman again. Like some of the other guys have said here, just wait until they have a sale.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yak
No i know that jacks are supposed to roll a little. The pad began to slide off the K member. when I look under it now there are two marks about 1 inch long from when it was slipping
That would scare the crap out of me too!

Which way was the jack pointing? I do my best to get it pointing straight under the car, pointing perpendicular to the driveshaft. When the car goes up it should roll in more towards the driveshaft.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:14 PM
12 Second Club

I use 6ton jack stands and nothing less
Old 04-28-2005, 10:09 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

you mean parellel to the driveshaft because that is how it was. I am begining to believe that it was caused in part by not being positions far back enough on the K member and because of the rubber pad that makes the dish completely flat