New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep warranty or mod?

Old 04-04-2005, 05:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Keep warranty or mod?

I would appreciate some advice. I have an 02 z28 w/ 11k miles & an extended warranty of 4/48. I paid $1400 for the warranty. I really cannot modify the engine at all or I'll void the warranty. In your opinion, is the warranty worth it, or would the money be put to better use by getting some mods?
Please help.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

modify everything you can without voiding the warranty...then just save your money...when it runs out go big...
Old 04-04-2005, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what he said. When i took my car to the dealer to have the alternator replaced and the power windows, i had the cam and cutout and even tho those wouldnt void the warranty for the above items, they still didnt say a word about them.Do as much as you can without voiding the warranty
Old 04-04-2005, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

My factory warranty ran out at the end of August 2004 and I had the option to get an extended warranty for $1000. I decided not to and to this date the only thing that has broken is the flimsy *** manual driver side mirror. My passenger side mirror isn't even adjustable, so I don't forsee anything else breaking.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:19 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

whats a "warranty"

LOL
Old 04-04-2005, 06:21 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

oh yeah...and they have to prove that your parts caused something to break in order to void your warranty....IF they cant directly say your cam caused your power steering pump to fail..they its still warranty...
Old 04-04-2005, 06:29 PM
Launching!

So its not a clear cut issue then? That is good news. I already have a lid & cat-back. What do you think should be next?
Old 04-04-2005, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dsz28
I would appreciate some advice. I have an 02 z28 w/ 11k miles & an extended warranty... In your opinion, is the warranty worth it, or would the money be put to better use by getting some mods?
Same here, i've got an '02 Z28 w/ 10,600 miles now. I've been moding since I bought it new. I figure since I don't drive it that much (I only drive it when the weather is nice) I'll never put on the kind of miles that would necessitate a trip to the shop. I know it's a gamble but I'm having too much fun (I do all my own work). I'm not saying you should necesarily do the same- Just my story.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:38 PM
11 Second Club

if you are paranoid about voiding the warranty than you obviously want the warranty. but like stated above do what you can without voiding the warranty, or talk to the service manager about what you can do. now is the warranty through GM or an aftermarket warranty? mine is a 3/36 and it is an aftermarket warranty, hell i bought a chevy from a lincoln dealer. when i spoke to the service manager he was real lenient. hell they dont want to throw your work away, if the dont do it, they dont get paid for it. if u know what i mean
Old 04-05-2005, 08:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Humvee z28
if you are paranoid about voiding the warranty than you obviously want the warranty. but like stated above do what you can without voiding the warranty, or talk to the service manager about what you can do. now is the warranty through GM or an aftermarket warranty? mine is a 3/36 and it is an aftermarket warranty, hell i bought a chevy from a lincoln dealer. when i spoke to the service manager he was real lenient. hell they dont want to throw your work away, if the dont do it, they dont get paid for it. if u know what i mean
Good point. My warranty is through GM.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:59 AM
Banned

My cars at the dealership right now for minor electrical work. But its covered under warranty. Just mod around the warranty.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:15 AM
Launching!

Do what I did:

Keep it bolt-on during the warranty period. Pile up your cash. Search. And then, when the warranty is gone, modify everything at the same time.

Not only that you will have more budget, but you will be able to match everything (heads, cam, rear ratio, etc...). You will also gain priceless knowledge during that period.

Like JRP said in his cam guide, come up with a tangible plan. Use the time in your hands to search and determine exactly what you want.

Good Luck!
Old 04-05-2005, 02:03 PM
TECH Resident

all the fellas here are exactly right...mod around it...BUT i wouldnt go into the internals though..simply because if somthin goes wrong in there.....damn their liable to blame ur cam on everything....SHEEEESH!!!

Search this Thread