Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A possible LT1 owner..

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A possible LT1 owner..

What's up guys, I've been looking at this 95 Camaro, 5.7L LT1 and hopefully this weekend, it will be sitting in my driveway.

Auto
71K miles on it
Charcoal interior
Flowmasters
Shiftkit

It pretty much has everything done to it that I would like to have, so I think it's best to buy something where you won't have to buy much more. Just ran a carfax on it and it's clean, only 2 owners and the first one had it for 5 years and only put 30K miles on it. Let's hope no one steals this from me through the week. I've been driving an 84 El Camino, 305 and I'm just looking for something a little new, and with some power.

What do you guys think, a good buy? He's asking 7500/obo.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

no way man, overpriced. i would be looking in the range of at least 5k and under with the early 4th gens. NOTE: this is where i live, dont know the availability of cheap lt1's where you are
Old 04-09-2005, 03:02 PM
Launching!

definately try to get the price down, shouldn't be paying more than 5k.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by negativeONE
What's up guys, I've been looking at this 95 Camaro, 5.7L LT1 and hopefully this weekend, it will be sitting in my driveway.

Auto
71K miles on it
Charcoal interior
Flowmasters
Shiftkit

It pretty much has everything done to it that I would like to have, so I think it's best to buy something where you won't have to buy much more. Just ran a carfax on it and it's clean, only 2 owners and the first one had it for 5 years and only put 30K miles on it. Let's hope no one steals this from me through the week. I've been driving an 84 El Camino, 305 and I'm just looking for something a little new, and with some power.

What do you guys think, a good buy? He's asking 7500/obo.

If the car is in good shape..thats a decent buy. Its hard to find one of these cars in real good shape with decent miles these days. Make sure it doesn't surge at idle, and it has some good power when you put the pedal to the metal. I bought my 96 6sp lt1 trans am for 8K with 71K miles. Was pretty much the lowest mileage 6 sp around. If you want to search all over the country, then listen to the other guys as you can probably find one for a bit cheaper. but from the photo, the car looks good. if it drives good, offer the guy $6,000 and work from there.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Iagree..
Old 04-09-2005, 03:46 PM
Teching In

If the car is in good shape..thats a decent buy. Its hard to find one of these cars in real good shape with decent miles these days. Make sure it doesn't surge at idle, and it has some good power when you put the pedal to the metal. I bought my 96 6sp lt1 trans am for 8K with 71K miles. Was pretty much the lowest mileage 6 sp around. If you want to search all over the country, then listen to the other guys as you can probably find one for a bit cheaper. but from the photo, the car looks good. if it drives good, offer the guy $6,000 and work from there.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:50 PM
Teching In

Well I definitely agree with you guys about the price, but... Every other camaro within 100miles of me either has 100K+ miles on it and is asking around 6, or it has under 100 and they are asking above 7, which yes I know is rediculous. I was actually going to buy a 96 Mustang the other day and as I searched through the classifieds again I found this. I'm 19 and my dad is actaully buying this for me because I'm just starting college and I need a more reliable car, but I want something with power also. We're going to try and push for 6, but I doubt the guy will go that low, I'd probably be happy walking about with 6500.

Another aspect I'm also looking at is, I love black, it's already black, already has tint, already has exhaust on it, I won't have to spend about 2 grand getting it painted, and putting exhaust on it... but I definitely see where you guys are coming from.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:57 PM
11 Second Club

Hell no.

I sold my 94 Z28 Covertible with 500+ hp 396 stroker for $8500 about a year ago.

Mike
Old 04-09-2005, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Well, sometime within the week I'm going to go look at it, and if it's immaculate inside and out, I hope he'll take 6 for it.

If anyone knows where I can check for LT1's within the PA, DE area, please let me know, at least 75 miles within the 19061 area code. But so far, this is the best one I've came across.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:58 PM
Banned

i bought a 96 Z28 with 30000 miles on it in excellent condition and only paid 8700 for it
Old 04-09-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

I can show you an LS1 camaro for $7500.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Teching In

Well, what about this, I've showed my dad this one, and he says for the miles it has on it, it's too far away, it's about 75 miles from where I live.

It's a 99 Z28 with 96,000 miles on it. Asking $6,999, probably get it for 6500 or even 6.

Do the 98 and up have LS1's in them, or is that only the SS's? If I go look at this black 95 and think it's not in the best condition for what it's worth, I'll see if I can convince my dad into getting this 99. It also says it was a police car, so I'm not sure if this thing has been beat or what...
Old 04-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FairwayGreenVette
I can show you an LS1 camaro for $7500.
Where?, What year?, How many miles? Hit me up.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Well, what about this, I've showed my dad this one, and he says for the miles it has on it, it's too far away, it's about 75 miles from where I live.

It's a 99 Z28 with 96,000 miles on it. Asking $6,999, probably get it for 6500 or even 6.

Do the 98 and up have LS1's in them, or is that only the SS's? If I go look at this black 95 and think it's not in the best condition for what it's worth, I'll see if I can convince my dad into getting this 99. It also says it was a police car, so I'm not sure if this thing has been beat or what...
Yeah all 98 and up have the ls1. $6500 for a z28 Where is that car at. I'm a buy it myself if its a 6 speed. And everything checks out. Theres a red 98 ta with 100,000+ for $10,000.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:07 PM
Teching In

Well, sometime within the week I'm going to go look at it, and if it's immaculate inside and out, I hope he'll take 6 for it.

If anyone knows where I can check for LT1's within the PA, DE area, please let me know, at least 75 miles within the 19061 area code. But so far, this is the best one I've came across.
I am in NJ. I went through what your going through to find a good car in good condition in this area about a year ago. I had to go all the way to PA to find my 96. If its in really good shape, then see if you can ****** it up for $6500 or less. good luck.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like a solid car...but you should talk them down at least to 6 grand. The car is a good start, but you may want to add a few things afterwards.

I have driven a 94 TA...it was my first real power car...it belonged to a friend of mine...man, I was in heaven with it. You are gonna' blow a lot of pony cars off the road with it.

So, you were drivin' an 84 El Camino? Go for it...have some fun....
Old 04-10-2005, 12:09 AM
Teching In

Are you guys talking about the Red 99? I just got back home and talked to my dad about this one and the first thing he said "Too far away, find something closer" I told him it's a friggin 99 LS1 that's cheaper then then the 95 LT1. I think that it's worth it even if it has 20 more thousand miles, What do you guys think? Just ran a carfax on it and it's basically the same as the 95, has only had 2 owners and everything passed OK. Says it was driven 17K a year as apposed to the 15K a year as the average.

I think if I'm going to spend 6$ on either, I'd rather get the newer LS1 engine and I love the newer body style alot more too. I'll just have to save up for some nice exhaust and tint and extra goodies down the line.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:20 AM
TECH Regular

Default with the LT1...

with the LT1 expect ignition problems ..... LT1's are NOTORIOUS for ignition problems .... mind-scrambling ignition problems, expect to put about $1-2k into the ignition setup. Stock ignition setup on the LT1 is garbage (anyone who says otherwise is lying, it is ridiculously cumbersome), but with a Delteq or LTCC it is semi-manageable.

LS1's seem not to have such problems, though I'm sure they have their own problems. Also, if you get a LT1, GET COATED HEADERS ... or atleast some kind of wrap for your plugs/headers.... and check them at very least at every oil change (if you have headers). Headers are such a PITA mostly, they burn plug wires and can cause your motor to run ridiculously rich even with a tune, plus theyre hard to seal up with any kind of cat-back system.

My $.02 ... heavily rooted in fact (seeing that i own a LT1 z28, and most other people complain about the same/similar problems, just do a search for 'ignition problems') .... if you do get a LT1 though, just have patience, they can be a real torque monster and a blast to drive!

edit: also, if you plan on doing any of above mentioned items (ignition, headers etc.). You may want to have $1-3k on hand to finish the job semi-correctly unless you have someone on-hand who has been through the whole task and knows **PRECISELY** (and i do STRESS precisely) what to do.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:32 AM
Teching In

Wow, thank you very much for the tip. So do you think it would be better to go with the LS1 seeing how it's already priced $1500 lower then the 95 LT1 although it has 96,000 miles on it? I just did a NADA and Kelley blue book and they are saying around $10,000 for high retail and $8,000 for low, that's making me think that the Red 99 LS1 seems like a great deal, and traveling the extra 50 miles would be worth it.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pillagenburn
with the LT1 expect ignition problems ..... LT1's are NOTORIOUS for ignition problems .... mind-scrambling ignition problems, expect to put about $1-2k into the ignition setup. Stock ignition setup on the LT1 is garbage (anyone who says otherwise is lying, it is ridiculously cumbersome), but with a Delteq or LTCC it is semi-manageable.

LS1's seem not to have such problems, though I'm sure they have their own problems. Also, if you get a LT1, GET COATED HEADERS ... or atleast some kind of wrap for your plugs/headers.... and check them at very least at every oil change (if you have headers). Headers are such a PITA mostly, they burn plug wires and can cause your motor to run ridiculously rich even with a tune, plus theyre hard to seal up with any kind of cat-back system.

My $.02 ... heavily rooted in fact (seeing that i own a LT1 z28, and most other people complain about the same/similar problems, just do a search for 'ignition problems') .... if you do get a LT1 though, just have patience, they can be a real torque monster and a blast to drive!

edit: also, if you plan on doing any of above mentioned items (ignition, headers etc.). You may want to have $1-3k on hand to finish the job semi-correctly unless you have someone on-hand who has been through the whole task and knows **PRECISELY** (and i do STRESS precisely) what to do.

Niether of my lt1's have ignition problems? one has 86K miles, and the other 104K miles...both running like champs. from what i've seen, its hit or miss.