New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing driver side window motor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 06:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing driver side window motor?

MY power window on my drive side only won't really move, if I wait about 5 mins and try to move it, it will only move a little bit and with every day passing, it gets shorter until now it barely moves after driving for nearly 30 mins! I was told it is probably my window motor, so I got a new one and I took my door panel off and saw how hard the job was. It's inside the door frame, I took my speaker out, and tried to find out how it was bolted up, it seemed like it was riveted almost? Is there any tricks to replacing the motor? Is it really riveted in? Anyone know of a good write up on how to replace it or any info that caould help, thanks in advance.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is a write up in this site you may want to use the search button. Not sure if its in this fourm, you may also want to check the apperance fourm, you may find the answer there. I havn't had to replace my window motors yet. But have read, the original window motor come with rivets and you have to drill them out, then replace them with the bolts that come with the new motors.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check out this thread. Post #49 will get you 2 links for install directions.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...9&page=2&pp=30

BTW, it's real easy.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used those write up to do mine. Made it very easy. you can get a replacement motor at autozone
Old 04-11-2005, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just paid a shop $40 to replace mine (i gave them the autozone motor to replace with)

$40 not to have a headache sounded like a good deal to me
Old 04-11-2005, 09:46 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by firechicken2k
I just paid a shop $40 to replace mine (i gave them the autozone motor to replace with)

$40 not to have a headache sounded like a good deal to me
What headache?
30min of easy work.

Here is another thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=motor
(one of many)
Old 04-11-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VIP1
What headache?
30min of easy work.
It's definitely not as hard as it seems. It took me 1 1/2 hours the first time but I know I could do it much faster the second (or third, or forth) time. I have 2 Camaros and I know I'll be doing this again.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:19 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for all the great reviews and replies guys. Doesn't sound too difficult then, my only problem is when I got the new motor, it came with screws, but they seem to be little sheet metal screws, not nuts and bolts type. What size screws did you guys use, anyone know? I got the part from my brother, he works at a shop and got it for cost, mostlikely from a local parts store.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Red91vette
Thanks for all the great reviews and replies guys. Doesn't sound too difficult then, my only problem is when I got the new motor, it came with screws, but they seem to be little sheet metal screws, not nuts and bolts type. What size screws did you guys use, anyone know? I got the part from my brother, he works at a shop and got it for cost, mostlikely from a local parts store.
I actually drilled out the rivets, and matched them with some nuts and bolts of the same diameter at the hardware store. That way if i ever have to replace the motor again i wont have to drill again. It is so much easier...
Old 04-12-2005, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

I just had my window fixed but now my radio does not shut off when I open the door???? Anyone know what they screwed up???
Old 04-12-2005, 10:51 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Red91vette
my only problem is when I got the new motor, it came with screws, but they seem to be little sheet metal screws, not nuts and bolts type. What size screws did you guys use, anyone know?
The Seimans motor I bought from AutoZone came with nuts and bolts. Since thats not what you have, just go down to HomeDepot and get some small nuts and bolts. Tust make sure you use some lock nuts or lock washers or double nut them so that they dont get loose.