Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default air filter

i heard that stock (fram) paper air filter is better then the K&N or HOLLEY.. is this true??
Old 04-18-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

Ya see, it all depends on what side of the country you are standing on...j/k.

I have both. I use the paper when I am cleaning my K&N. I hear the paper filters more, but the K&N flows more.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldnt worry about it too much. There are plenty of guys who run paper, holly, and K&N. I dont think anyone has had an engine breakdown because of any of these filters. As far as air flow is concerned, no one can dispute that the K&N flow better, but when it comes down to it, 50 bucks for the added 1 hp that you cant even feel isnt worth it. If you are looking to improve induction I'd say get an intake lid off ebay for around 50 to 60 and that will make more of a difference.

If you already have a K&N use it, and dont worry too much, just keep it clean often. If you currently have a paper filter, just keep it and dont waste the money on a "high performance" filter. The money can definetly be better spent!
Old 04-18-2005, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

thank you..
Old 04-18-2005, 05:02 PM
Teching In

I agree with natronathon! I have a 99' ss and i had k&n then i put a paper wix filter...and it runs the same lol ide stay cheap there are better things to invest your money into!
Old 04-18-2005, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some member have had problems with oil air filters, causeing a little car hesitation caused by the oil from the air filter muding up the MAF. You may find more of this info on these doing a search. Just letting you know.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:05 PM
Teching In

EXACTLY BOXER i had that problem with k&n so i cleaned the maf and put wix =) and it runs fine
Old 04-18-2005, 05:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too had the oil on maf issues. If you don't over oil and let it soak in properly it shouldn't be an issue, however. K&N filter was the only non-stock part of my car when I bought it. I have since switched to paper.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:55 AM
Staging Lane

The intial purchase price of a K&N or Holley air filter may indeed seem high. HOWEVER, keep in mind the price you will be paying over and over again to replace your paper air filters. In time the K&N or Holley will pay for itself. They only issue people have is they complain about the oil from the filter getting in the MAF and messing it up. This only happens when people over oil their filter when servicing it. It's user error not product error. I have a K&N on my T/A and have not had any problems with it at all. In fact I have an extra one if someone wants to buy it. $25.00 plus shipping. I am in AZ by the way.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:18 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by QuickSilver T/A
The intial purchase price of a K&N or Holley air filter may indeed seem high. HOWEVER, keep in mind the price you will be paying over and over again to replace your paper air filters. In time the K&N or Holley will pay for itself.
How much is a replacement paper filter? How much is the K&N cleaning/oiling kit?
All that and the paper filter still filters better.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
How much is a replacement paper filter? How much is the K&N cleaning/oiling kit?
All that and the paper filter still filters better.
Paper filter was like $7-10 I think, K&N was $45, recharge kit for K&N $10.
Yes all that and the paper filter still filters better.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:57 AM
Staging Lane

I dont know about you guys/gals but I have gotten three cleanings and oilings out of of one K&N cleaner/oil kit. But it's whatever YOU are satisfied with and happy with plain and simple.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have holley powershot and its a pain in the *** to oil and the worry if its too much or too little oil. I bought it because i have a clear lid and liked the look
Old 04-20-2005, 11:44 AM
That's what she said...

i have always used k&n filters in my vehicals. i've seen them run at dirt tracks and be completly coated in mud/dirt with the inside clean as a whistle. i also ran one on my MX 4-wheeler with an open airbox, it was put thru the same (if not more) stress than our dirt cars did.

the oiling is the key, you should ONLY spray oil onto the side of the filter that is facing toward the ground when installed. let the airflow pull whatever excess oil you have INTO the fiber. these cars do not see baja conditions, so the filtration doesnt have much of a load on it at all.

a k&n filter can go quite a long time w/out recharging (cleaning and re-oiling). i like to buy the large cans of cleaner and oil from offroad places (rockymountainatv.com) or somthing similar. the large aerosol cans and the large spray bottle with the trigger (instead of the damn 1 finger plunger) works way better and lasts longer than the 10$ recharge kit.

PS - just a tip that i've discovered over the years. you after you take the filter out, hose it down with cleaner, and then wash it all out. you can place the filter on top of your A/C condensing unit outside your house for a quick dry. the warm air dries it out nicely
Old 04-20-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not a big fan of the K&N or Holley. But I have the BG Ram Air. The oils in the filter protects against any water coming into the engine vs a paper filter.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I ditched my K&N and got me a Paper filter. I'm gonna stick with paper.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:13 AM
On The Tree

I use an AC Delco filter.