Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got an 00 slp z28

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got an 00 slp z28

Purchased and 00 slp z28 today, pretty happy with it. The only thing i really noticed wrong is that sometimes when i start going in first gear the rear end will make a little bit of noise. Im assuming this isnt normal and i may need to get it serviced. Any idea what it could be?
Old 04-18-2005, 09:39 PM
Launching!

SLP never made any Z28's. They modified Z28's into SS's.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i own one
Old 04-18-2005, 10:18 PM
Teching In

my z-28 is an slp, my cousin has one as well. It adds slp cat back and a hurst shifter.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:26 PM
Teching In

pic:

Last edited by shouup; 04-18-2005 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:33 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone can buy stickers and parts from SLP. There is no such thing as a SLP Z28. If you are so convinced you have one, then call SLP with your VIN and they will tell you the same - and then tell us what they said so we can "told you so"

I feel bad for some of you guys who might have actually paid more because someone selling the car to you filled your head with crap.

SLP catback and hurst shifter? Hurst shifter was a GM option, not SLP. If the car has vacuum cleaner tips, it's a GM catback as well. If it does have a SLP exhaust, then someone else put it on there.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
Anyone can buy stickers and parts from SLP. There is no such thing as a SLP Z28. If you are so convinced you have one, then call SLP with your VIN and they will tell you the same - and then tell us what they said so we can "told you so"

I feel bad for some of you guys who might have actually paid more because someone selling the car to you filled your head with crap.

SLP catback and hurst shifter? Hurst shifter was a GM option, not SLP. If the car has vacuum cleaner tips, it's a GM catback as well. If it does have a SLP exhaust, then someone else put it on there.
the man speaks the truth
Old 04-19-2005, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

yah there is no original slp z28, only SS's
Old 04-19-2005, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shouup
Purchased and 00 slp z28 today, pretty happy with it. The only thing i really noticed wrong is that sometimes when i start going in first gear the rear end will make a little bit of noise. Im assuming this isnt normal and i may need to get it serviced. Any idea what it could be?
ok, now that thats cleared up...to business...how many miles are on your car, you might try changing the rear end fluid.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:58 AM
Launching!

My car squeeked when I bought it due to sitting still for a while. Grease solved the annoyance.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=DMNSPD]
QUOTE]

Nah, he didn't get ripped.Bought it for a good price with the miles it has on it, so no big deal that SLP didn't do these. Any chance it could have been a dealorship package from where the original owner bought it?
Old 04-19-2005, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shouup
Cool, man. Welcome aboard.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:15 AM
11 Second Club

All emissions legal SLP parts are a dealer option. It costs more because of the added parts and labor. But they are not numbered or serialized. Just added options anyone can buy at the dealer or any other speed shop. The only difference is the dealer will warranty anything SLP they install. But you will not find these options in the Camaro catalog.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought my car for 10k with a forged bottom end, Cam, exhaust, intake, full suspension. So i didnt really get ripped.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:13 AM
11 Second Club

Sounds like a good deal to me. Especially if it is forged. Do you have the papers to prove it?
Old 04-19-2005, 12:30 PM
Teching In

i know its not an official slp car, i just had the dealer option...thats all i really meant by that. I paid 12k for it also, it blue booked from 12-15k depending on who blue books it. I did look at the service record and the rear diff fluid has been changed. it passed the shops inspection so i guess im in the clear...but im tucking away some cash just incase!

-Sean-
Old 04-19-2005, 01:35 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by Spenser309
I bought my car for 10k with a forged bottom end, Cam, exhaust, intake, full suspension. So i didnt really get ripped.
if you paid $30,000 for an "SLP z28" you would be getting ripped, this was the point he was making. but saying you have an SLP z28 is like me saying i have a Texas Speed and Performance, TSP z28

shouup - i used to have those wheels on my car in 16"x8" (not sure what those are), they are called Eagle Alloy 077's if you were wondering, i have some torque thrust II's now

and as for that noise you are hearing, the first thing i would check is the tranny mount, easy to take off and check. 4 15mm bolts to get the crossmember loose, then 1 18mm deep socket to remove the big nut on the mount itself. then 2 more 14 or 15mm bolts to remove the mount from the trans. takes 3 minutes to get it off. make sure you TAKE IT OFF to check it. it can look totally fine while its still installed. make SURE to support the trans w/ a jack or you will be eating it

poly units can be found at autozone for cheap (energy suspension), but most report some increased noise and rattle with them. the OEM trans mount works great for reducing vibrations etc. , but they are +70$

^^^ i just posted that in another thread yesterday ^^^
Old 04-19-2005, 01:37 PM
That's what she said...

ps - i thought my posi unit was going out when my tranny mount was screwed up. it would really make alot of noise when i would gas it turning RIGHT
Old 04-19-2005, 04:01 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
if you paid $30,000 for an "SLP z28" you would be getting ripped, this was the point he was making. but saying you have an SLP z28 is like me saying i have a Texas Speed and Performance, TSP z28
Good analogy. That's pretty much what I was saying. I'm sure there are plenty of people that buy these so called "SLP Z28s" thinking they are true and will pay more.

SLP has an Ultra Z package that comes with a different hood and wing, but you buy it from SLP performance - which is all SLP is anymore. SLP Engineering is gone AFAIK. With the death of the f-body and bomb of the Ranger Thunderbolt, they just make OEM SS/Firehawk parts and all the SLP Performance aftermarket stuff. You can't get SLP stuff through the dealership of GMPP, only through SLP themselves.

Dealerships often make up "packages" to give the buyer something they can buy to make their new car purchase "unique" while still retaining a factory warranty. These sorts of things happen with every make and model, and only a few ever get recognition and are made in decent numbers (the Carl Black Pontiac Blackbird for example).
Old 04-19-2005, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn, c'mon cut the guy some slack, so he made a slip. Everyone has to admit thats a damn sweet lookin' ride, with some nice starter parts on it.