New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some newbie ?'s (continuation from tb coolant by pass thread)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some newbie ?'s (continuation from tb coolant by pass thread)

(Might as well get as many opinions as possible!)
Car came with following mods (car is very clean, and seems to be well taken care of)
B&M Shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, 3.73 Gear Ratio, SLP Bilstein Shocks, SLP Eibach Springs, SLP Upgraded Sway Bars, BMR Subframe Connectors, BMR Shock Tower Brace, Polyurethane Engine Mounts, Whisper Air Intake Lid, Hypertech Power Programmer, Flowmaster Exhaust.

Personally from previous experience with the Hypertech it seems to either not make enough of a difference or throw things off too much, we set back to factory settings (just through the programmer, am going to try re-setting through battery disconnect tomorrow)
->-> first off shifter seems to pop back out of third gear on a frequent basis (clutch is always in fully) only seems to happen in third)
Just wanted to get some opinions on that.

->-> Next,....Kay this is gonna seem really freakin strange thing to ask, but it has happened with two different Gm vehicle (other was a 99 Jimmy). Basically in Alberta, on our way from work, every damn time we passed this one intersection our car gauges, revving, electrical, and air/fuel seemed to go berserk. The car would like either rev up (even if it was on cruise) or the gauges would go crazy, the car would lag and speed up randomly. It would only be for a moment, but every FREAKIN time! Now this car is doing the same thing at the International Speedway/Nova intersection in Daytona Beach. It went nuts!!! today we were waiting at a light, and in neutral, and it just revved it self, and than when we went to go into first the car had stalled!!!! and the other day same intersection while turning on an advance green, it starting almost lagging and sputtering and jerking! There a cop in the opposite lane and I am surprised he didn't pull us over considering how weird it looked!!!!
Anyway neither cars had any sort or problems like that previously at all, ........I know this sounds like a freak thing or some coincidence but it is getting to be like a little more than that!

Also wondering on advice for any other changes or next steps to take to continue to build it (we have already ordered Headers, ram air cowl hood) If alot of these mods were done about 2 years ago, and not knowing how the person drove it how long do you think these mods are good for, or when to start looking to replace/upgrade/repair these, like the rear end for instance, or when to rebuild the tranny and what upgrades to do, etc,......

So basically I would really appreciate some advice/experience/guidance since it has been about 2 years since owing a 96 camaro (which was a p.o.s with 2 blown cylinders!)
Your advice and time reading this is greatly appreciated!!
P.S. If all this crap is in the wrong forum, just redirect me the right one!
Cheers,
Kel
Old 04-20-2005, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

An exhaust leak can occur on the header gaskets, not sure how long it would take for this to occur or not. I don't see any problems from having a ram air hood, but I may be wrong. You can check the external engine fourm, you may get more answers.

As for the gauges acting up.....I would check the fuses and check for any lose wires. The stumble, revving, you can try fuel injecter cleaner or have the injecters cleaned, check the spark plugs and wires, make sure the wires are seated on the boot correctly. Good luck.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the advice 98boxer
Old 04-25-2005, 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, maybe that pos hpp3 did a # on your cars brain. I would look into that.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your transmission needs to be rebuilt if it is popping out of 3rd...that's either a bad synchro assy. or a bent 3-4 shift fork...
Old 04-25-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would get rid of that hyper crap programmer asap. they are designed for cars that are STOCK. with mods a hypertech is worthless and will cause logic conflicts with the cars ECU as it is only programmed to work within a certain mode of operation. whereas the un-tuned ecu has a farther range of compensating for mods.
my .02

i have a hypertech but i only use it for speedo calibration and cooling fan operating range. with the tune on my mostly stock car it runs like total **** and feels down on power.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the advice,.....
02transhawk - are you referring to the hypertech programming, when you say 'pos hpp3'????

I actually already reset it back to stock the same day we changed the battery so the hypertech is not on right now (I did hear some bad things about it, so decided to ditch it)
Also 777 - if the synchronizers and 3-4 shirt fork are back can't I just replace these, as apposed to rebuilding the whole tranny, as the rest of it does seem fine?
Old 04-25-2005, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

They will need to tear down the traqnny to get to the synchros. They may not have to "rebuild" it though all the tolerances will need to be checked as they reassemble and anything too worn will be replaced (basically a rebuild I suppose). I haven't done this myself though the 2nd gear syncro went out on my car at 35,000... rather than screw with it, the GM dealer replaced the entire tranny under warrantee. Same symptoms as you described- popping out of gear. I've now got 96,000 and still running strong.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

okay, well does anyone know or can anyone suggest a shop or person who is good with the T56, and who won't try to rip me off when I bring it in and tell me this, that and the other thing needs to be replaced when it doesn't??

I would be more than happy for me and Lucky to try the work ourselves but I just moved, don't have and ramps, tools, etc,.. and the car is in the condo parking lot right now, and I don't know anyone around here with a garage to use, (usually in Canada I would just take it to a family members garage and work on it there) I am just worried that when they pull it off I won't be able to verify what does need replacing and what doesn't (obliviously some shops are bigger a#@ holes than others and will try to make more $$ off you)

I recently moved into the Daytona beach area, and I have no problem knowing where to go for good work to be done on a Harley, but can anyone suggest somewhere for the tranny work, or anyone interested in making a little cash to come here and check it out for me??

Cheers