Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions from a new LS1 owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 10:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions from a new LS1 owner

I bought my first LS1 (B4C) camaro. I've owned 9 9C1 cars, but this is my first camaro. I have 2 newbie questions.
First, I bought the car from GA, and drove it to AZ. I noticed at about 65 mph the car had a feeling like a tire was slightly off balance. I brought it to a chevy dealer in New Orleans. They said I had a cupped tire. I replaced all 4 wheels and tires when I got back to AZ (Z06) style and I drove it on the hwy. Same issue, at about 65 and the faster you go from there it gets a weird shakey feeling, like a choppy feeling in the petals, and seat. Any ideas whats wrong? The car drives straight, and seems fine under 65. I don't notice the problem on rough roads only when its smooth. It gets worse and worse as I go faster, remember it has 4 brand new wheels and balanced tires.
2nd this is my first automatic LS1. I stomped on the gas at about 75 to check my tires out and the RPMs went zipping up fast and the rev limiter kicked on at about 90. Do you need to drive a LS1 different then a LT-1? I was shocked to see after a short sprint the Rev Limiter started spuddering the car at such slow speeds. Any help would be very much appreciated!
Thanks Michael
AZ
Old 05-08-2005, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tire cupping sounds like a worn shock, might be time to replace them (being a B4C, I would suspect its been driven really hard in its life) Take a look and see if you see anything obvious like leaks (tho the dealer should have noticed when they changed the tires) it just might be time to change them anyway
Can't help on the tranny mines an M6
Old 05-08-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Balljoints? Alignment? It could also be the rearend, but its usually obvious when its the tires making the noise versus the rear differential/driveshaft.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would get a good alignment and then see how it runs. use the search in the handling section for settings for alignment.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the more important of the 2 things you asked about was the "rev limiter"
what do you mean you hit the rev limiter at 90 mph?
in an auto car you should not hit the rev limiter, when it reaches its preset shift point, it should shift.... if it is not shifting then somethings wronge...
there is a very good chance that your tranny is on its last leg...
Old 05-10-2005, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

not meaning to change the subject but whats B4C?
Old 05-10-2005, 07:55 AM
TECH Junkie

cop car
Old 05-10-2005, 08:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Swang
not meaning to change the subject but whats B4C?
Cop car package. Though some people could have bought one new with the B4C option. It's a Z-28 without the badging.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:44 PM
Launching!

I'm taking the car into the alignment shop, their going to check the driveline tomarrow. They are a very good shop and this type of work is all they do. As far as the trans not shifting, thats exactly what it did, I had the car in overdrive slammed on the gas rocketed forward, then the RPMs went to redline the car started to spudder, and I had to slow down. This sounds as if the tranny is shot??
Old 05-10-2005, 02:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by radio626active
I'm taking the car into the alignment shop, their going to check the driveline tomarrow. They are a very good shop and this type of work is all they do. As far as the trans not shifting, thats exactly what it did, I had the car in overdrive slammed on the gas rocketed forward, then the RPMs went to redline the car started to spudder, and I had to slow down. This sounds as if the tranny is shot??
When your car was suppose to shift do you know if your tires were spinning during the shift? if so your tranny may not be going out, but if they are semi sticking then your tranny is probably about dead, which just means time for a converter
Old 05-10-2005, 06:00 PM
Launching!

I called AZ AutoMasters today, they agree it sounds like the tranny maybe needing service. Ive got it scheduled for friday. Im getting headers, and a ORY installed too. I was going to get a cam, but if the tranny needs service I'll put the cam money there. They said the drive shaft maybe out of balance causing a vibration, so maybe they'll solve everything at once. I love ex-police cars, owned 9 of them so far, this is the first with issues, but who cares its a LS1 Camaro, Ill get over it fast!
Old 05-10-2005, 06:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98NBM_TransAm
When your car was suppose to shift do you know if your tires were spinning during the shift? if so your tranny may not be going out, but if they are semi sticking then your tranny is probably about dead, which just means time for a converter
Im not sure everthing seemed fine. The car rocketed forward, then once it redlines it spuddered. I made a appt. at AZ Atuomasters, they'll fix it. I just hope I don't need a loan to get it back! lol
Old 05-10-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

that car sounds awesome, i just fear what kind of idle hours are on that thing.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another thing that the vibration could be is warped rotors.They'll cause the same symptoms that you described and is usually over looked.My car did the same thing,but at any speed above 50 mph.I went thru all the checking and replaced alot of stuff for nothing,including front wheel hubs.

Also make sure that all your rims are torqued properly (100 ft lb's).If not that will eventually warp your rotors as well.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought one, a black 2000 B4C for my wife.The car had 89k miles on it and we(I) put a new trans, a shift kit, and a 3500 converter with a trans cooler in it.We also put the Super max headers and a Whisper cat back on while it was down.With a few other bolt ons, its a great "sleeper" car. Good Luck!!
Old 05-10-2005, 08:17 PM
Launching!

I know not everyone thinks cop cars are the best to buy. But I like them alot. If you are really careful you can get a very well maintained car, plus its a conversation piece. So I appreciate the info on the B4C you bought.
As far as the rotors, my mechanic says they look good. But I'll ask them on friday to check it out.
I installed 18" Z06 (275/35/18) all round, i torqued them 100 lbs myself. The vibration thing happened on both my old set of wheels, and my new ones. Again Ill have AZ automasters check into the rotors. They mentioned it maybe the driveshaft out of balance. But they haven't looked at it yet.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:03 AM
11 Second Club

b4 you take it to the tranny shop i would sudgest one more test for your tranny...
put the car in 3rd(instead of OD)... and run WOT thru the gears, does it do the same thing?
i'm willing to bet it shifts just fine, if that is the case then you have clutchs going bad in your tranny and it definatly needs overhauled, but i would warn you against having the same weak OEM parts back in,------------------------->
there are a few sponcers here that can sell you GOOD parts for it (or even build you a good tranny) for what you will probably pay for a trabby overhaul with stock parts...
good luck
Old 05-11-2005, 01:54 AM
Launching!

The place Im going to is AZ Automasters. They specialize in Camaros and Vettes. They've got a good rep. To be honest im no mechanic, but love to buy awesome cars. You guys gave me tons of good advise. I'm going to take it to the pros. They won't rebuild the tranny if it doesn't need it. I'll take the advise however, if I do have to get it rebuilt Ill have them beef it up instead of using OEM parts. Does beefing up the tranny make much difference during daily driving?
Old 05-12-2005, 01:12 AM
11 Second Club

nope... it will be every bit as streetable.. no adverse side effects...
Old 05-19-2005, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Well, I called the mechanic shop today, it seems that the RPMs went skyhigh because my trans was shot inbetween 3/4 So $1500 later, their rebuilding it, and upgrading it too.....sounds like a decent deal installed?