New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought high milage LS1. Questions. *HELP*

Old 05-09-2005, 02:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought high milage LS1. Questions. *HELP*

Just got back from my trip to the DFW area were I purchased a 2000 Black m6 Trans Am with over 110K mi on the odo.

We inspected her top to bottem, took her on two 1hr test drives, put her up on stands, and generally beat the crap out of it to make sure she stood up.

Only issue that we ran into was a tranny grind while being down shifted into third... and only third. There were no other pops, grinds, or clanks. She never popped out of gear. There was no slippage. Shifting was always easy and there was never a struggle putting it into any gear. I am thinking either the tranny fluid needs to be replaced or is low, or the 3rd gear synchro's are on there way out. Opinions?

Now, I'll be heading down this weekend to pick up the car and drive it home. Home is 2000mi's away (EDIT: 1468.73 miles according to Mapquest ). What do you guys think are some necessary precautions to take in order to make sure she makes the trip? I am thinking...

- oil change and filter
- tranny fluid change (maybe)
- rear end fluid change (maybe)

Any opinions or suggestions on this?

Thanks a lot for any help... I really can't wait to get the car up here and cruise around.

Last edited by jinxedz; 05-09-2005 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not ship it man thats a longgg trip ???
Old 05-09-2005, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

i would not drive 2000 miles...you are crazy!
Old 05-09-2005, 02:23 PM
11 Second Club

2k miles shouldn't be a problem for a car in decent shape. Problem is that you are a new owner and who knows what condition the car is really in.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:24 PM
12 Second Club

The trip itself is nothing... I road trip all the time.

The way I see it, I can pay $900 for a shipping company to take care of it and I'll get the car in a week... or, I can drive it up myself, spending only $150-200 in gas, see the country, and get it up here in a day (there will be two of us driving, taking turns).

For me, the choice is obvious.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jinxedz

The way I see it, I can pay $900 for a shipping company to take care of it and I'll get the car in a week... or, I can drive it up myself, spending only $150-200 in gas, see the country, and get it up here in a day (there will be two of us driving, taking turns).

I'd probably be driving too.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just got back from my trip to the DFW area were I purchased a 2000 Black m6 Trans Am with over 110K mi on the odo.

We inspected her top to bottem, took her on two 1hr test drives, put her up on stands, and generally beat the crap out of it to make sure she stood up.

Only issue that we ran into was a tranny grind while being down shifted into third... and only third. There were no other pops, grinds, or clanks. She never popped out of gear. There was no slippage. Shifting was always easy and there was never a struggle putting it into any gear. I am thinking either the tranny fluid needs to be replaced or is low, or the 3rd gear synchro's are on there way out. Opinions?

Now, I'll be heading down this weekend to pick up the car and drive it home. Home is 2000mi's away. What do you guys think are some necessary precautions to take in order to make sure she makes the trip? I am thinking...

- oil change and filter
- tranny fluid change (maybe)
- rear end fluid change (maybe)

Any opinions or suggestions on this?

Thanks a lot for any help... I really can't wait to get the car up here and cruise around.
i sure hope you got one hell of a deal considering i dont think the pickin's are that slim.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

true true, didnt think of it like that , I just see it as unneccasary miles on my car
Old 05-09-2005, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

except it already has 110k... another 2k aint gunna matter much
Old 05-09-2005, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought my WS6 with 81000 on it. When I got it I noticed that I was missing gears and grinding more than any manual I had ever driven. I told my wife, "I've never ground the gears or missed them this bad!" about 5 months later the tranny and the clutch went. I was upset at first, but now I have a superbly rebuilt LS1Speed Street T56 that shifts like a dream!
Old 05-09-2005, 07:51 PM
TECH Regular

That grinding into third may only need the "drill mod". I rebuilt my tranny for that reason and found nothing really wrong with it. I did the drill mod when I rebuilt it and have had no problems since.

I would change the fluids for sure.

Good luck!!
Old 05-09-2005, 08:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't trust that clutch to be beating it all the time. Find out if the clutch has ever been changed. You might want to upgrade the hydro. in the car or have the fluid changed and re-bleed. That might solve the problem
Old 05-09-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you belive it to be in good condition, id drive it home. when i bought my car i drove it 1200 miles home. I was by myself. An awsome experience. drove from yakima,washington to san diego. i wouldnt trust a shipping company with my car.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by KrazyDan
i wouldnt trust a shipping company with my car.
I hardly trust anybody with my car. And the more modded it becomes, the more suspicious I am. I don't need some ******* revving the **** out of it on cold aftermarket valve springs or anything else retarded like that. The only place I've left it anytime over the past couple years is Speed Inc.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Where in canada do you live?
Old 05-09-2005, 10:10 PM
10 Second Club

Me & my wife drove 34.5 hrs. straight round trip to pick up my Formula. Houston, Tx. to Roanoke, Virginia. I pulled out of Houston @ 5 p.m. on a Friday with my diesel, car hauler, wife, and son. I made it back home @ 9:30 a.m. on Sunday morning. I was determined to get this car.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

I flew to Conneticut from North Carolina on a Sunday morning, got there, drove an hour to the guy's house, left CT at 12:45pm, and made it back to my house around 11:30pm. That's with 1 stop in NJ "just 'cause", 1 stop in Fredricksburg, VA for food/gas, and traffic in Jersey and DC. Got 31mpg on a 95k mile car. She drove fine the whole way home and has held up in the 4k miles I've put on her in the last 2 months.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:26 PM
12 Second Club

Wow, thanks a lot for the info./input so far guys.

I live in Toronto, Canada. 1500miles away from Texas... or about 2400 Kilometers. I have no doubts the car will make it up here... she runs very strong. I just want to take some precautionary and preventative measures to help me out along the way.

The way I've planned it, I should be back in Texas early saturday afternoon, which gives me 36hrs or so to get back into Canada. With two drivers taking 4-5hr shifts, that shouldn't be a problem.

If, by some unlucky occurance, everything goes totally wrong... I lose 3rd, theres a fuel line leak, the engine sets fire, a tire explodes, and I'm sent barrelling into oncoming at 80mph over a hwy median... well then hell, I'll just have it shipped from where I broke down.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
I hardly trust anybody with my car. And the more modded it becomes, the more suspicious I am. I don't need some ******* revving the **** out of it on cold aftermarket valve springs or anything else retarded like that. The only place I've left it anytime over the past couple years is Speed Inc.
I dont understand people. The one time i left my car was to get my stereo installed. when i picked it up, it had 32 mile more then when i dropped it off. I about killed someone. Had a talk with the manager and the install was cut in half.
About a month ago, i went to discount tire to have my nitto mounted. The guy was backing my car out of the stall and started reving. thinking i wasnt around. One of his co-workers started yelling at him. Emidiatly got 50 dollars back.
Some people dont respect other peoples property. Sorry if im a little off topic
Old 05-09-2005, 10:41 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by KrazyDan
I dont understand people. The one time i left my car was to get my stereo installed. when i picked it up, it had 32 mile more then when i dropped it off. I about killed someone. Had a talk with the manager and the install was cut in half.
About a month ago, i went to discount tire to have my nitto mounted. The guy was backing my car out of the stall and started reving. thinking i wasnt around. One of his co-workers started yelling at him. Emidiatly got 50 dollars back.
Some people dont respect other peoples property. Sorry if im a little off topic
Hey man, its cool.

I have the exact same worries. We took pictures of the odometer when I put the deposit down... the last thing I want to see is any extra milage when I pick the car up. Oh man would I be pissed... the last thing I need is some 16yr old 90lb punk to come along with his Daddy and grind the **** out of MY CARS TRANNY...

Search this Thread