Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this sound like a scam?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 01:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Does this sound like a scam?

I was looking around on autotrader.com yesterday and i came upon a 99 hugger orange z28 with leather, 6 speed, t tops, and only 41k miles for 9k. It sounded pretty good, maybe too good to be true. I was going to call him, but the number posted on the site did not work, so i sent him an email. Here is what i sent him.

Hello, i was looking at your 99 Hugger Orange Camaro Z/28. It looks
very nice and exactly what i am looking for. I had a few questions
id like to ask you about it. How many miles? It says 41,000 but im
just double checking on that. Any Modifacations to the car? What
condition is the car in overall, like how is the interior, any rips
in the leather or anything like that? How is the exterior, any
dents or major scratches? Has the matinance been kept up well, like
changing the oil regularly, changed/checked all the fluids
regularly. What condition are the tires in? Any major problems with
the engine,transmission, or rear end? Transmission shift well?
Clutch in good condition? Any major work done on the car? Has it
been in any accidents, have a clean title?

Im very interested in this car and would like to check it out
sometime if it is not sold. I am located in Minnesota, and from the
site it says you are in Caramel, Indiana. So it is about 600 miles
from me. But we could set up a time or somthing sometime. If you
want to give me a call my cell number is -. Thanks again for your time!!

-Jakson

And here is his response, it sounds fishy to me about the whole "Its in an Auto Trader warehouse, and he is in UK, and then talking about a deposit, almost like a setup for a scam.

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in purchasing my car. The vehicle is in good condition, has no technical damage at all, no scratches or dents, no hidden defects, kept in our own garage, remaining warranty available. It is fun and robust to drive. My father, who died 1 month ago, was the first owner of the car. The car is an US model with US specs, technical inspection and emissions testing is passed and stamped as well. It has a US title of ownership, cleared of any obligations or fees and comes with all the documents you need to register the item. I must inform you that currently I am in UK. I did not bring it here with me because the car's steering wheel is on the left side, and so it is difficult driving it around the UK. The car is now located at the Auto Trader warehouse in Denver, Colorado. The car will be shipped and insured by Auto Trader. Auto Trader will act as a 3rd party for our transaction. You will not have to pay additional taxes for this. To be able to receive or pick up the car you will have to make a $2,900.00 deposit. After you inspect the car if anything seems wrong you will be able to receive a refund from Auto Trader. Please send me your full name and shipping address to forward them to Auto Trader. They will contact you with more details. Thanks for your interest, please feel free to email me any questions or concerns you may have.

Respectfully,

What do you guys think?
Old 11-25-2005, 01:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, youre going to be out of the deposit. DONT DO IT. Bastards keep your deposit and just dissapear, stay clear of those guys.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:54 AM
11 Second Club

That is easy. Call the Auto Trader and ask them if they do that. That will answer your question right away.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep shopping. This is a common type of scam and is difficult to find/prosecute the individuals who pull these types of scams (not to mention intercontinental law differences). You would likely be out your deposit. You know what they say, if it sounds too good to be true...... You'll find the one you're looking for, just not there.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:53 AM
Banned

i just saw this same scam on a 04 GTO on auto trader offered for sale for 10k....tried to call...phone no was NFG.Its crazy that anyone would send someone money just on someones promise.DON"T DO IT! If it sounds too good to be true...IT IS.I was scammed by a local guy offering a 89 formula for sale for 1500 dollars.Add in the local paper said car was like new ...needed money.I called and the guy brought the car here....1st thing i noticed was the person looked shady.He said he needed to sell the car today to pay court costs on a DUI.The car was perfect...low miles...new paint...ran perfect.I said no problem lets go transfer it.HERE IS WHEN THE SCAM STARTED.
Guy says the title won't be here until friday...it was monday.But he needs the cash for court on wed.I tell him ok call the title service and tell um i bought it and let the car here....won't do it.Says give me 1500 and i'll come back friday.I LAUGH AT HIM and tell him to hit the pike before i call the state police.DON"T GIVE ANYONE MONEY UNTIL YOU SEE A TITLE AND DO THE PAPER WORK YOURSELF...Even a dealer can fk you on paper work and run with your money...ALWAYS pay the taxes and fees yourself.....trust me on this...i was fkd twice over the years.One dealer in this state ran off with a 100 thous dollars in tax fees and guess who is responsible for the unpaid stolen tax money and fees...YEP YOU ARE!

by the way if a dealer refuses to let you pay the taxes and send in the paper work...RUN! I got fkd just this way
Old 11-25-2005, 07:04 AM
9 Second Club

It amazes me how many people fall for these scams... The old saying almost always holds true... "If it sounds too good to be true... it prob is!" You did the right thing by asking questions, but the sad thing is, there are people out there who would just send their hard earned money and never hear another word... I wish I had a virus I could attach to an e-mail... I would tell them I was sending them a photo of my credit card and when the scumbags open it up...... goes their computer....
Old 11-25-2005, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Everytime I see scams, I think of this: http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/
Old 11-25-2005, 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Zymosis

LOL thats funny..

Don't do it man sounds fake.

Actually I have some friends in Carmel you should see if they can take a look at it.

Last edited by CashMoney; 11-25-2005 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:23 AM
9 Second Club

That is priceless! I would love to see the look on that guys face when he opened the package and realized he'd been scammed!
Old 11-25-2005, 10:49 AM
Banned

Funny notebook thing...That guy had it coming!
Old 11-25-2005, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would call the (REAL) Autotrader anyway just to find out if they take deposites just for the hell of it,Even if they did, I Probably still wouldnt do it. BTW I was getting E-mail's from seveal people saying they want to but my music equipment. I was only selling the equipment for $500.00 but one of the pesons E-mailing me said they were a musical equipment dealer in the UK and that they will intrust with me $5,000.00, And out of that money I can take my share of money for the musical equipment of $500.00 and an extra $300.00 for my troubles if I were to put this money in my account and then send the rest in a check to one of their clients in the US . I sent an E-Mail saying that I was not interested of course. Then a Month later this freak E-Mailed me back again and said he was a banker in the UK but this time with a total new peposal, I guess he didnt remember me , I told him to stop E-Mailing me and to go F!$K himself.

Last edited by Oatmeal; 11-25-2005 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pricless.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:47 AM
Teching In

Sounds like a scam to me, I spent a lot of time shoppin around for my f-body before I bought one about amonth ago. I was worried about what I got, but it was a steal...98 blue Z28 a4 w/80K miles on it for 5G's. It needs new shocks and rotors, but other than that, not bad! Putting my buddies old SS suspension on (only 14k miles on that and a donated set of rotors for someone who upgraded theirs. Hopefully some LT's and duals in the near future...cam in the spring...
Old 11-26-2005, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, good to hear he did in the scammer. But, I really wonder what happend to the guy who did in the scammer.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Ummm...One SIMPLE fact some folks need to learn.

Autotrader has NO warehouse.

To go one step further....E Bay has no warehouse.
No one is holding a vehicle anywhere for either of these selling services.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 10.5AWD
Ummm...One SIMPLE fact some folks need to learn.

Autotrader has NO warehouse.

To go one step further....E Bay has no warehouse.
No one is holding a vehicle anywhere for either of these selling services.

EXACTLY... go to autotrader.com and read there FAQ or tips to avoid scams, one of the topics clearly states that autotrader DOES NOT have a warehouse containing cars for sale, and is in no way affiliated with the sale of vehicles. ive encountered this PLENTY of times, with people buying from me, and me buying from people.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

you should mess with this guy and tell him you have friends that live close to wherever he said the warehouse is, and they want to go look at it for you. see if he actually gives you an addy, then look it up.even if this is a scam(99.9% sure it is) have some fun with this guy!