Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fair Price on 02 WS6?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fair Price on 02 WS6?

Found another T/A, but in my area this time...only about a 15 minute drive. It's a 2002 T/A Ram Air 6 speed, the works..it has 19000 miles and the dealer's asking $23,xxx i think. Obviously it is a little high, it retails for $22,000. But the trade in and private party value is around 16-17. Would 18-19 be a fair offering price or will they laugh in my face? It's already been on their lot for over a month, which makes me believe they'd sway. In this situation I wouldnt mind financing around 9-10g for such a low mileage, well-kept car.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:59 PM
TECH Regular

Not sure that it will help but I bought mine 2 years ago with 7K miles for 23K. They are definitely asking too much. However they are getting harder to find. Maybe you should pay 30K so the value of mine will increase!
Old 12-20-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

This time of year, I'd make an offer. You never know. $19k would be a pretty fair price, and they don't need the extra inventory going into the new year. I can assure you that they will do fine at the $19k mark. They don't give much for trades...
Old 12-20-2005, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I'd offer the 19k, like was said earlier, it's winter (not the prime time for a RWD sports car)
The worst they can do is say no
Old 12-20-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Two years ago I paid 21k for my CETA with 23k miles on it so even 20k would be fair... good luck.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the input guys. I think offering 18-19 for it is a good deal. Their profit would be huge if they sold it for 23 grand. If I could walk out the door paying 19 grand for everything, taxes, and title, I'd have a big smile on my face. Even if I have to finance almost 10 grand. How can I convince him that 18g for is a fair price? Besides the fact that it's winter, that I'm trading in a 4x4 Jeep, that they stopped making LS1's (haha), and that its really worth around 19g on KBB.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:02 AM
TECH Addict

Don't bother with that BS, just go in tell the sales guy you want the T/A and I'm giving you no more than 19k, get all the finacing stuff arrainged before hand (if the dealer has a better interst rate/terms than use them)
Expect them to low ball the jeep tho, you'd be better off selling it yourself
If they say no walk out, I almost guarantee they'll call you within a week about buying it
Old 12-21-2005, 12:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
Don't bother with that BS, just go in tell the sales guy you want the T/A and I'm giving you no more than 19k, get all the finacing stuff arrainged before hand (if the dealer has a better interst rate/terms than use them)
Expect them to low ball the jeep tho, you'd be better off selling it yourself
If they say no walk out, I almost guarantee they'll call you within a week about buying it
I understand what you're saying. I know they'll low ball me on my trade-in. So I've been trying to sell it online, but with no luck. My other option would be to finance the 19 grand and then wait til I sell my Jeep and put whatever I make on the sale towards the T/A. Or I could not care and just get a decent, but less, amount for the trade in. I'll just tell him up front that I'm paying no more than 18 or 19 total and see what he says. Any other ideas? Of course Im gonna have to go through the phase of him not taking me seriously also.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:40 AM
TECH Regular

I dont know how used cars sell out there in Maryland, but here I doubt they wouls sell you the car for 19k. Even if the car is on the lot for a while they know they will get rid of it and do it at a good amount. So I think that 19k is a bit hopeful. Realistically i would think they would sell it for 20,500-21,000. So ofcourse offer them 19k and see what happens. I used to be a car salesman. They will probably try and get you to pick a dollar amount for a monthly payment you would like. If you pick something close then they just try and get the interest rate lowered but sell you the car for full price. As said above, first get your own financing, so you dont have to take there word for anything. They cant give you some BS interest rate. The other thing i would suggest is definately get an extended service contract. Even if your planning on highly modding the car. What I did was after six months i called the dealership i bought my car from and cancelled my warranty. Then i refinanced the car. My payments dropped $100.00 a month. I figure if the car is being sold with problems, they will show up in the first couple months. If they dont, then anything after that, ill be replacing anyways. Such as rear-end, rebuilt tranny, and so on. The best thing to do during negotiations is just be quiet and stick to what you want. Dont come up with reasons why the car is worth less than what they want. They will discount every reason you come up with. Dont try and act like the salesmans friend or think your selling him on helping you, you are not. If he thinks you like him, hes gonna budge less, and go for more. And as said above if it comes down to it, thank them, ask for there card and then leave. If they let you go, then they'll be getting in touch with you soon. The worst thing you can do is be the first person to break the silence after price quotes are said. Just sit there and say nothing. Talking tells them you want the car very badly and will pay for it. Anyhow good luck with you buying expirience.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:13 AM
TECH Addict

I wouldnt expect them to budge $1 more than $1500-2000 less than they're asking. Prepare to be dissapointed. Nice avatar though.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all the info PewterWSSicc. I know it's a hopeful price. 19g is about the maximum I can spend and this is an extremely nice car so I want to see if I can work something out. What it will come down to is it just being out of my price range. But I should be going in there this week and we'll see how it goes.

Yeah my avatar is nice haha
Old 12-21-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

In Jersey I went to a GM dealership and asked about a trade in on an 02 T/A WS6 fully loaded, red, auto, mint cond. stock w/14k miles. They told me they would give me $20,000 easily without even seeing they car and if it was as nice condition as I told them they might bring it up another $1,000.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:25 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

If youve got the money, and you want the car, go buy it. Maybe your gonna get screwd a tad, but hey, youve got your TA and no one can **** with that.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Regular

In the last year and a half I've traded in 3 cars and bought 4 and everytime the dealers do a little song and dance before they give me what I want, but if you go in sticking to your guns, you might not hit the $18 mark, but I'd bet you could get real close to $19. Like they said above, get your financing in line before you go in! And DON'T tell them what you want to spend monthly! Otherwise they'll finger f@*# the payments to make it look good monthly, but you take it in the a$$ over them term of the loan. Work on the BOTTOM LINE only! I wouldn't even mention the trade in until you settled on a good price for the car. And in the end, if the number don't look good enough, just keep telling them no until they at least meet you half way. I go in thinking about the absolute most I would spend on the car and offer them a decent amount less. Not low-ball, but a little less then you think they'd go. Then work up from there. I'm argumentative as hell though, so it comes easy for me. I've gotten real close to exactly what I've wanted the last few times doing it this way. Good luck to ya!!
Old 12-21-2005, 07:34 PM
Launching!

$ 19or 18 K would be finding a divorce or someone in need of quick cash! The dealers around here in ne Pa. are getting $ 21,500 minimum. Have watched 2 at a local dealer sit for months at $ 27,995 sold at $27,075....WOW!!!!!!! tHEY had 2 02 SS's at the same price and 6 months later they have 1 left and have not lowered the price.
Expect to pay $ 22,000 with the trade in. Yes they have laughed in my face at times or bit their tongue trying not to upon hearing my offer but looking a little more and a little patience I saved myself a bunch by eventually finding someone within a week of a house closing who had a sudden need for more cash. $20,200 with all mods listed and 12K for milage.
He about cried when I drove "his" baby away.

PS: The mortage companys determined that the appraised value was too high and canceled the loan offer.

Bought my house from someone in legal trouble and saved even a bigger bunch. But that's another story

Last edited by sundaydriver; 12-25-2005 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Here in Oklahoma a co-worker of mine says he gave 17k for a 2002 Silver Ws6 A4,but it had almost 50k on the clock.

Last edited by MeDennis; 12-21-2005 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:48 PM
Launching!

I personally think KBB is a little bit on the low side when it comes to values of cars, but anyway car dealerships and insurance companies use NADA, the value of my car on kbb was 16.5 and on nada its like close to 18
Old 12-22-2005, 10:02 AM
TECH Regular

I looked at an 02 SS M6 Vert about three weeks ago priced at $19.5. 37k in real good shape. Maybe FL is lower than the national average??
Old 12-22-2005, 10:17 AM
11 Second Club

You know it's really interesting what has happened to the used car market for fbodies, or more specifically ws6 models. It really is high on the dealer side and now private sellers are picking up on this trend. I can't say that i'm not somewhat pleased since at least it keeps the value of the car up, but obviously for those in the purchasing market it makes it cumbersome to find a decent deal.

You may have to pay more than you budgeted for that particular car. My advice is find a private seller who HAS to sell (due to buying a house or having a kid). These are always the most flexible sellers.

Good luck.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

Simple you want to pay more then the car's is worth buy from a dealer.You want to buy at the market price that they are selling for go private owner.I just bought a 01 WS6,23,000 miles.I paid top dollor for this car from a private owner but it had $10,000 invested in mods with receipts to show all work.BUY from private owner.Dealership = Stealership
01 ws6,silver,auto with yank pt4000 stall,B&M trans cooler,DTS 12 bolt ,3:73,DTS support cover,complete BMR chrome moly suspension bolts on's including panhard bar,adjustable torque arm,tubular control arms,driveshaft loop,strut bar,optima red top battery,k&n,slp lid,bg ram air mod,Mac headers,off road y pipe,magnflow catback,MSD wires,NGK plugs,smooth bellows,slp mass air flow,throttle body coolant by pass,160 stat,
2.02 1.575 manly racemaster valves with fully polished and ported heads Trend Fully hardend pushrods, COMP TI retainers, Dual Valve spring's
custom comp 228 236 588 578 114 ,ARP hardware,New Z06 gaskets. Mustang dyno 393hp / 352tq. Dynojet= 432hp/ 387tq