New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb Alert??? Is my 2002 a LS1 or LS6???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb Alert??? Is my 2002 a LS1 or LS6???

I know i hate ahving newb questions but I here some say 2000 and LS6 intake etc.. Soem say 2001 with LS1..

I have a recently aquired 2002 Trans WS-6.... Is it a LS1??? Is LS6 a Z06/vette thing??

I tried to search and it keeps timing out, so I tried advanced search for LS1 or LS6 they just time out with a white screen!!

Thanks, I am not a car guy.. I do OFF-ROAD 4x4..

WILL
Old 01-03-2006, 09:18 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

its an ls1 with 25% chance of an ls6 block, all 01-02 cars got the ls6 intake. check the FAQ stickied in this section or my sig.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrp
its an ls1 with 25% chance of an ls6 block, all 01-02 cars got the ls6 intake. check the FAQ stickied in this section or my sig.
correct but for a newb that may be confusing, the ls6 block does not mean ls6, the ls6 has different heads and cam, the ls6 and ls1 blocks only difference is an airway by the crankshaft. (i think lol)

you have an ls1, and so do corvettes, the ls6 only came in corvette z06's

please tell me if im wrong
Old 01-03-2006, 09:37 PM
Teching In

thanks JRP.. I didn't even see that FAQ...

I will read it over, in between banging my head over these Readiness Monitor Problems im having for the past week...

WILL
Old 01-04-2006, 12:11 AM
12 Second Club

Heres some info i copied and pasted from Popular Mechanics... Looks like if you have the motor that it came with from the factory... It's an LS1. Here's some of the differences between the LS1 and the LS6.
Popular Mechanics Link

LS6 Engine

Providing the grunt for all this performance is a new version of the venerable small-block engine that delivers almost 12 percent more horsepower than the 2000 LS1. Called the LS6, it shares many components with the LS1 found in every other 2001 Corvette, and would look the same as the LS1 were it not for its red engine covers.

The LS6 produces 385 hp at 6000 rpm, and torque of 385 ft.-lb. at 4800 rpm. The engine is redlined at 6500 rpm (versus the LS1's 6000 rpm redline), and its torque curve is slightly biased toward the upper end where that power will be most appreciated on the track. LS6 power output is achieved as the result of dozens of refinements to increase volumetric efficiency and maximum rpm.

Aluminum Block

The aluminum block casting on the LS6 deletes machined holes in the LS1 bulkhead and adds cast-in "windows" that allow better bay-to-bay breathing. On the downstroke, the pistons push air back toward the crankcase, creating backpressure or resistance, and that translates into parasitic horsepower loss because it resists piston motion. With the overtravel windows, air is allowed to move more freely between crankcase bays, thus relieving the unwanted pressure.

New Pistons

LS6 pistons are cast from high-strength M142 aluminum alloy and reshaped with a slightly different profile than those in the LS1. In side view, the LS6 pistons have a slight barrel shape, almost imperceptible to the naked eye. The new alloy increases engine durability at racetrack operating levels, while the shape reduces internal mechanical noise.

Increased Compression

The LS6's aluminum cylinder heads are cast with pent-roof combustion chambers that are smaller than the LS1's. Compression ratio increases from 10.1:1 to 10.5:1, improving thermal efficiency and increasing horsepower. Intake and exhaust ports in the LS6 head are refined and more precisely cast, contributing to the engine's overall increase in volumetric efficiency.

High-Profile Camshaft

The LS6-specific, steel-billet camshaft contributes more than any other single piece of hardware to the LS6's horsepower gain. In simple terms, the cam opens the valves quicker and allows more air to flow into the combustion chambers. Cam lift increases from the LS1's 12.7mm to 13.3mm.

Stronger Valve Springs

To accommodate valve operation with the high lift/long duration cam, the LS6's valve springs are stiffer and sturdier. They are made from the same steel wire as those in the LS1 but are wound tighter for a higher spring rate.

Fuel Injectors

Additional air flowing into the LS6 heads would serve no purpose without an equivalent increase in the amount of fuel to take advantage of it. New injectors increase maximum fuel delivery from the LS1's 3.3 grams per second to 3.6 grams per seconds, for a 10 percent improvement.

Internal PCV System

The LS6's application in the Corvette Z06 creates additional demands on the crankcase ventilation system. The Z06 is capable of cornering at more than 1 lateral g, requiring a special high-performance ventilation system.

To prepare the Z06 for all-out driving, the LS6's PCV system is moved into the engine's V, or valley. The unique aluminum valley cover incorporates composite oil-separating baffles and PCV plumbing. All of this reduces oil consumption during high-performance driving and, as an added benefit, also reduces the amount of external plumbing, eliminating potential oil-leak sources.

Exhaust Manifolds

Thin-wall cast-iron exhaust manifolds replace the previous stainless steel manifolds to improve durability, given the LS6 engine's potential for being involved in sustained high-speed driving.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

good info. And yeah, you have an LS1, you simply have the intake from the LS6. Good for about 5 to 10 extra rwhp with accomodating mods (headers and exhaust) You may have the LS6 block, but for everyday purposes that is of no gain.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jrp
You are lucky, I think that's the nicest post jrp has ever stated when someone has asked a question that was in his faq.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:00 AM
Teching In

Yea, I appreciate the old timers taking it easy... I did try to search several times and didn't see the FAQ at that time....

I understand the NEWB stuff, but its not like i am soem 17 year old trying to post *****... We get similar stuff over on my 4x4 and Diesel boards..

Someone over there will ask..

Can you put a Straight Axle under a IFS 88-04 Chevy/GMC Pickup for less than $1,000??????

I usually go ballistic and try to Bull Hurley NEWB thrash them into hell for such a basic question...

THANKS again for being so welcome to a new F-body guy!!!!

WILL
EDIT: BTW: JRP, you may lock this thread now if you like!!!

Old 01-04-2006, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah it sucks that search is down. However, it's actually nice to see people say I tried to search and it's broke. That at least let's us know that people are trying to search nowadays. I'll go ahead and lock this one down for you.