New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which car do you pick?
Pick the stock WS6 that was in storage the last 18 months!
68.48%
Pick the mildly modded WS6 that has been driven daily.
31.52%
Voters: 460. You may not vote on this poll

Beware of LOW mileage WS6?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep. if you look up at post #37, I've made plans to go see the stock car on Friday. The owner is going to get her out of the garage and clean enough area for us to be able to jack it up and get under it. It's in his small, cluttered, one car garage.

Yep. I'm gonna check up with my credit union again today and make sure my loan is still lined up, and I'm going to contact my insurance agent to get a true quote for what my premium is actually going to be! Hopefully by sunday night I'll be able to make a decision.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

swang not trying to argue here...but putting 4.10s in a stock 10 bolt is basically abusing it, seeing that itll break very quick
Old 01-05-2006, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
swang not trying to argue here...but putting 4.10s in a stock 10 bolt is basically abusing it, seeing that itll break very quick
Not true.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:05 PM
TECH Resident

Basically it boils down to what options/price/and what you want in the car I searched for 3 months my my Camaro SS. It was a toss up between the '97 30th ann. Camaro SS (lt-1) or the 01 SS (ls-1) and I chose. Both had 20k miles on it. Both the asking price was 17.5 and neither had a single scratch in the paint. I like the 01 better and purchased it.

But if it came down to eveything being exactly the same, and you had a choice between lightly modded and stored. I would pick stored. You said your not sure about the 4.10's. Buy the non-modded car and Mod what you want to mod. That's really what modding is about customizing your car to your tastes.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Teching In

I think the one question that needs to be asked here is what do you intend to do with the car? Is it going to be a daily driver, a weekend toy for cruising and occasionally racing, or a garage queen?

If you are going to just daily drive it or let it be a garage queen for future collectibility, get the stocker. It'll probabbly be more reliable and get better gas mileage, plus give you a little more piece of mind.

If you want a weekend toy to cruise and occasionally race, get the modded one. You get more for your money because you get the speed parts for free (since the 2 cars are priced the same) and it'll be more fun to drive.

I prefer original, unmodded cars, but I bought a modded Firehawk for the reason I just listed. I also felt confident in buying it because after talking with the owner and looking through the meticulous documentation of every mod and service record, I knew the car wasn't abused.

Hope this helps
Old 01-05-2006, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

I'm gonna use the car to commute with, take on beach cruises, canyon carving, and I may or may not take it to the track. I've pretty much decided on the stock one... I've talked to both sellers and the owner of the stock one was more mature and knowledgable.

I don't want to be stuck with 4.10 gears... I'm gonna mod the car, but I'm gonna do it myself, and very mildly... I doubt I'd ever put in 4.10's if I had the choice.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:53 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock is the only way to go... I hate trying to figure out what all has been done to a car, and fixing people's mistakes.

And as for 4.10s... don't knock it until you've tried it. I woulda said the same thing before I bought a car and discovered after the fact it had 4.10s in it.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:24 AM
TECH Junkie

i would until people convinced me not to touch the stock 10 bolt (gears thread) saying "i would kill my 10bolt instantly" and so on and so on....
but i would still go for the stock car, im pretty sure stock m6 has decent gears anyways
Old 01-06-2006, 04:53 AM
On The Tree

stock ratio in ss and ws6 is 3.53 right? or real close to that? ... yea, its pretty good already. obviously, owners of these fbodys have grown accustomed to them.

me on the other hand, am 22 and have been driving a small fwd coupe with a 3.0L V6... the stock gears in the ws6 with all that power and rwd will plenty for me for a while. i dont need to break traction any easier than that LS1 will already besides, keeping that stock car stock or not far from it, will be a good idea! i sound like the other ppl in the club here "oh, im gonna keep this car stock" hahahha yea right... no no... i plan on improving the suspension and getting this thing to put its power down through corners, not just straight lines. then I'll worry about more power later.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:39 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by di0ck
stock ratio in ss and ws6 is 3.53 right? or real close to that? ... yea, its pretty good already. obviously, owners of these fbodys have grown accustomed to them.
3.42 gears stock for all M6 F-bodies.

3.23 gears stock for A4 WS6 cars.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:55 AM
On The Tree

i've got a 99 HOSS, i bought it brand new with 11 miles on the odometer. as of right now i have 9200 miles on it because i work out of the country. it is in a garage most of the time for long periods of time and i DO NOT HAVE ANY KIND OF MECHANICAL PROBLEM. BUY THE GARAGED ONE!!! just my opinion
Old 01-06-2006, 10:32 AM
12 Second Club

Honestly, at that price I'm not sure I'd be interested in either, definitely not the modded one. I think Bluebook on those is 16k-17k RETAIL. I know things are always more expensive in Cali, but I think you could do better. I bought my 01 SS with 40,000 miles, bone stock, for 15k a year and a half ago. If you're set on either car, I would take the one in storage. 18 months is not a long enough time to be too concerned with. Put some fuel Stabil in it and top off with 93 or as close as you can get. I don't think I would personally be too worried about the tranny fluid, but you could change it out for about $20 for piece of mind. Oh, and Seafoam is an additive that you can add to your fuel tank to clean the fuel injectors and combustion chambers. You can also add it your oil just before an oil change and it will clean out deposits there. It's available at O'reilly's and I'm sure some other parts stores, though Advance and Autozone here do NOT carry it. Good luck with the decision.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:23 AM
On The Tree

i went and inspected the stock t/a tonight. i check her head to toe and i took lots of pics.

Please look at these photos and give me your opinion!

--I am really concerned with the pics of the 10bolt, there seemed to be fluid seepage but it was all dry to the touch. Is this the sign of something bad? Does it just mean the gasket has gone bad and can be fixed easily?

--The CV boots on the front wheels both showed a dark wet spot, but when i checked the boots they were not cracked or tearing.!!? What's happening there?!

--But check out the photo of how he had it stored with the whole interior covered and extra carpet covering the stock floormats! the thing was amazingly clean, nearly flawless! Only a few things like 2 small dings, 2 wheels have minor curb rash on them

Ive got to get to sleep. More info tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails Beware of LOW mileage WS6?-img_3385.jpg   Beware of LOW mileage WS6?-img_3387.jpg   Beware of LOW mileage WS6?-img_3386.jpg   Beware of LOW mileage WS6?-img_3397.jpg   Beware of LOW mileage WS6?-img_3404.jpg  

Old 01-07-2006, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

morning bump. i need advice on this car and the issues i found. [pictures and details in post above]
Attached Thumbnails Beware of LOW mileage WS6?-img_3403.jpg   Beware of LOW mileage WS6?-img_3392.jpg   Beware of LOW mileage WS6?-img_3408.jpg   Beware of LOW mileage WS6?-img_3395.jpg   Beware of LOW mileage WS6?-img_3402.jpg  

Last edited by di0ck; 01-07-2006 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:02 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Don't know what's up with that spot on the boot....you said the boot was in perfect shape, so maybe something unrelated just got leaked on it somehow at some point?

As for the axle, looks like the rear cover gasket might be seeping a little bit. I don't really see that as a big deal....on the other hand, what did the axle look like from the other side (where the driveshaft meets the axle)? I'd be more concerned about any fluid leaks around the pinion seal area than from the rear cover.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Don't know what's up with that spot on the boot....you said the boot was in perfect shape, so maybe something unrelated just got leaked on it somehow at some point?

As for the axle, looks like the rear cover gasket might be seeping a little bit. I don't really see that as a big deal....on the other hand, what did the axle look like from the other side (where the driveshaft meets the axle)? I'd be more concerned about any fluid leaks around the pinion seal area than from the rear cover.
aaahhhh, thats one piece of advice i wish i got before last night!!! i didnt really inspect that side as closely. I was certainly distracted by what i took pictures of.

So the cover gasket could be bad and thats not a big deal. What about the way it appears to be seeping out the axle sides?
Old 01-07-2006, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

bump for a little help, please?
Old 01-07-2006, 03:13 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This should be a no brainer here: Stock. You never want to buy a moded car if you have a choice, unless you personaly know the owner and are a witness to its use. 410's in a stock rear-end? what for? why were the gears put in there in the first place? Tells you something about how the car has been driven right there. Car sitting in storage is know big deal. Cars with less miles on them are worth more money. This is an easy one to answer, your smartest buy here is the stock stored car. No question about it.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:23 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Didnt see those pics before I posted. Interesting, looks like the car was driven a bit. Is that curb rash on the same side as the scrape underneath the front end? Definately looks like some seepage there, but all in all not a whole lot to be worried about from what we've seen so far. take more pics underneath, the car was not stored for its whole life. I didnt read all the posts here either so...
Old 01-07-2006, 05:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by di0ck
aaahhhh, thats one piece of advice i wish i got before last night!!! i didnt really inspect that side as closely. I was certainly distracted by what i took pictures of.

So the cover gasket could be bad and thats not a big deal. What about the way it appears to be seeping out the axle sides?
I'd say to look at the other side of the axle when you go back, no need to even jack the car up really, just get underneath with a flashlight. If it's dry around the area where the DS & axle meet, I wounldn't really be worried about the rest of the rear. Mine seeps a little bit too from the cover gasket, it's done that ever since I did the fluid change last spring, I either didn't use enough gasket sealant or I over-tightened the bolts. Doesn't even concern me, it's not dripping or anything....just enough seepage to keep a couple of the bolt heads damp. I don't plan to do anything about it till the next fluid change.

Cover gasket/fluid is very easy to change for anyone that's ever used basic wrenches and sockets before. A pinion seal leaking though (other side of the axle) would be a more difficult repair.....but still not the end of the world or anything.

Quick Reply: Beware of LOW mileage WS6?