Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trying to decide between LS1 02 WS6 or 05 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trying to decide between LS1 02 WS6 or 05 Mustang GT

Here's the deal guys. As some of you may know, I've been looking for a trans am for over a year and a half. I have one I can get now which is an 02 ws6 with 87k miles for 12g. It has all bolt-ons and is well taken care of (I know the guy.) I'm set on this car when my mom surprises me and says she will help me pay for a car because she is thinking of getting another one also. She wants us to both get 05 mustang GTs b/c we can get a good deal on them. With all the options, I figure that's atleast around 25g. If thats the case then I could get an 02 t/a with basically zero mileage for less than that. So I'm stuck. LS1s are sickfast stock and easily moddable, which I know a good deal about. The new mustangs...I really don't know. I know they're good for mid-high 13's stock. They have got to be incredibly moddable also. So my question to you all is...WHAT SHOULD I DO??
Old 01-08-2006, 12:04 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I'd go for an LS1. But I'm sure just about everyone on this board will tell you that.

Gotta get whichever car YOU like better. You'll be the one driving it, so only you can make the call.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Obviously it will ultimatley be my choice, I just wanted everyone's opinion...open-minded opinion for which way they would go considering my options and my situation. I know Im leaning towards the t/a, of course, but I don't know that much about the new mustangs or modding them. Please, more advice and knowledge.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:48 PM
12 Second Club

I personally hate the new mustang so the TA has my vote.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:53 PM
Tech Resident

I've herd the new stangs are hard to mod because the computer automaticly tries to keep everything in a "safe" power level. So any mods need to go along with a computer tune to get any real power.

Read that in a stang mag. but im really not sure... read up.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:00 PM
Board Certified Idiot

Driving a Mustang & a CAMARO are like Comparing Apples to ORANGES. they both Feel WAY DIFFER. Have you ever Driven Either of them before? Also the LS1 MOTOR is much better then that 4.6 the GT has in it. Try to Find a LOW MILE 02 camaro AND see if she will go for a spin in it with you.When she sees ur expreshion on your face on how you love it if thats what you want. My guess is prolly will be Hard for her to turn it down knowing you want it. just how most parents are sence she is willing to pay for this stang anway Good luck on either Car TEST DRIVE THEM BOTH i say
Old 01-08-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteKnightZ28
I've herd the new stangs are hard to mod because the computer automaticly tries to keep everything in a "safe" power level. So any mods need to go along with a computer tune to get any real power.

Read that in a stang mag. but im really not sure... read up.
I read that also, I think it was in Hot Rod. But they said once they reprogrammed the computer and undid the "safe" mode where you can't even do a burnout, they got really good numbers from their mods.

Any other thoughts? If I decide to go for a t/a what would you guys suggest? Buy my friends car for 12g and have the rest left over for more mods. Or pay around 19g for an 02 with low mileage and then take the rest of the money and mod it. Or does anyone think I should go for the stang and mod that? Choices, choices...
Old 01-08-2006, 01:15 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Allergik2dyin

Any other thoughts? If I decide to go for a t/a what would you guys suggest? Buy my friends car for 12g and have the rest left over for more mods. Or pay around 19g for an 02 with low mileage and then take the rest of the money and mod it. Or does anyone think I should go for the stang and mod that? Choices, choices...
Well if you've got $25K to play with, and you buy your friend's '02 LS1 for $12K and buy $13K worth of mods, you will have one HELL of a car. I mean, with $13K you're talking rebuilt & upgraded short block, H/C package plus full exhaust, tuning, 12-bolt, suspension, and all the bolt-ons. And if you find some good deals or get some stuff used you could fit in either a built 4L60E + stall TC or a clutch if it's a 6-speed with that kind of cash left over. What more could you want?

But, if the deall is that she's going to offer up cash for the buying of a car only, (none to be used for mods), then I'd say get a lower mileage higher priced LS1 for sure.....

Last edited by RPM WS6; 01-08-2006 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Well if you've got $25K to play with, and you buy your friend's '02 LS1 for $12K and buy $13K worth of mods, you will have one HELL of a car.

But, if the deall is that she's going to offer up cash for the buying of a car only, (none to be used for mods), then I'd say get a lower mileage higher priced LS1 for sure.....
I think it's more of she'll help me pay for a more expensive car, not necessarily put up the difference in cash. But we'll see. If she did then I could buy my friends and pull the motor and stroke it. It already has all bolt ons and a cam. Or I could get a lower mileage, high priced LS1 for like 19g and use the rest for mods and build it up my way.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

well at the local drag strip, i've never seen the new GT's run under 14's
dunno, i'm running mid 13's w/ little mods, besides i think f bods look better.
just my opinion
Old 01-08-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Junkie

if you are going to get the T/A with all the bolt ons and you have some extra money, I say get a turbo and call it a day. that would be one wicked fast T/A.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

my thoughts...the t/a looks better, and are more fun to drive IMO. i dont like the way you sit in the 05's. the 94-04's suited me just fine...the LS1 is an easier motor to mod, so id lean towards that, and its cheaper. id say get a lower mileage LS1 for 17-19 and have what you want. if you drive an 05 and like it more, get it. if you like the t/a more, get that.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

So are you going to be sharing the stang with your mother? Or you are both going to be getting one?

I'd go for the ws6. It sounds like a good deal, and is half the price of a new stang...
Old 01-08-2006, 06:40 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The TA looks like a beast of a machine that pwns the road compared to the mustang gt. This would be a no brainer for me. Get the ws6 and do some more modding to it. It should stomp (even more than it already does) after you put a few grand into it.

Besides, it seems like i see those new mustangs all over the place now. Hell, i even saw one in my rear view last night
Old 01-08-2006, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the input guys. I'm between getting my friends car or just starting with a stock low mileage ws6. The mileage on my friends is one of the things holding me back. I need this car everyday, rain or shine and it needs to be dependable. So it might be worth it to pay a little more for a stock car. Also, I could get used to driving it stock and slowly build it up. How does that sound?
Old 01-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Launching!

Not sure about you guys, but my ls1 has been 100% reliable since I bought it. With all of the transmission and engine dificulties in my 4.6, i'll never buy a ford again. Go with the ls1.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:53 PM
Launching!

also, i have 110k on my TA and it seems like its just now broken in....fwiw...
Old 01-08-2006, 07:00 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

DON'T LOOK AT MILEAGE

Don't be blinded by a ******* number, b/c thats all that is. Look at the car, is it well taken care of? Does it drive nice?

And another thing, is the ws6 a4 or m6, what do you want? if its a4 and you want a manual, dont get it, look for another nice m6, or vice versa. Or get a new m5 mustang.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
DON'T LOOK AT MILEAGE

Don't be blinded by a ******* number, b/c thats all that is. Look at the car, is it well taken care of? Does it drive nice?

And another thing, is the ws6 a4 or m6, what do you want? if its a4 and you want a manual, dont get it, look for another nice m6, or vice versa. Or get a new m5 mustang.

This be some true chit. Got my WS6 with 63k and it drives/handles like a dream. .. WAS stock. If you like seein tail lights, get the GT - but really, get what you like better. I'm gonna reccomend the WS6.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

New car and your mom pays ...end of discussion!! take the 05 dont be pound foolish