New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking about getting an LS1, what do you think of these plans?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking about getting an LS1, what do you think of these plans?

Hey guys,

I am thinking about getting an LS1, probally along the lines of a T/A M6.

My previous car was a Turbo DSM. Wich i ran 13.3 @ 102.

I am selling the car and seriously thinking about trying out an Ls1.

My goals for my car are 11s in the 1/4
to have a reliable car
and not to dump too much money into it.
(and preferable not have to use nitrious as a power adder to meet my goals)

i checked some prices for T/A with around 80-100K on them and the seem to be around
$8,000 - $10,000.

That is fine for me.

I researched the intake and exhaust mods

and assuming i did the work myself the bolt on parts should come to about $2,000
Lid,filter,bellow,ported throttle,SFC,LongTubeHeaders,full exhaust,shortshifter,pully,tune.

i would also probally need slicks and a cam to touch 11s. (along with good driving)

i was looking at some cams that looked like they were down my ally and they were about $400,
i would also need springs,retainers, and to match my heads?

how much does a cam setup typically cost, say if you have a shop do it. or if you do it yourself.

another question is this What do you guys think of may plan, my goals, any suggestions would be very helpful.

THANKS
Old 01-13-2006, 03:34 AM
Launching!

I am thinking about getting an LS1, probally along the lines of a T/A M6.
I think trans ams go for more than camaros so you may be able to save some money there. Also, the 2001-2002(?) LS1s have the LS6 intake which will help you out.

Lid,filter,bellow,ported throttle,SFC,LongTubeHeaders,full exhaust,shortshifter,pully,tune.
Some people will say dont bother with the filter or bellows. Try to get just one tune when you are all done(ie cam)

i was looking at some cams that looked like they were down my ally and they were about $400,
i would also need springs,retainers, and to match my heads?

how much does a cam setup typically cost, say if you have a shop do it. or if you do it yourself.
You need other upgrades when you get a new cam I hear. Labor is pretty high on a cam swap but its not too dificult to do yourself supposedly, there are good writeups.

Trying searching for more info.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:40 AM
12 Second Club

That is a good start, dont over look sprying ur car rather than getting a cam. If u go with an auto which it does not look like u want to, all u need are boltons and a torque converter and ull be 11s allllllll day. But i am a M6 fan so it is a little harder and costs in my mind a lot more to get in to the 11's. To run 11's in a M6 you will need a clutch and a 12 bolt +/- $2,500 (unless your lucky and a 10 bolt holds, mine did not )

"Lid, filter, bellow, ported throttle, SFC, LongTubeHeaders, full exhaust, shortshifter, pully, tune"

This is a good start i would also look into getting a cluch right away! Lower Control Arms and Relocation Brackets for them.

Now for the cam, I have never done it before but from what i hear it is fairly easy to do in a garage. I think speed shops will charge 300-350 for a install.

GOOD LUCK!

Scott
Old 01-13-2006, 08:11 AM
Teching In

[QUOTE=Silver 00 SS]That is a good start, dont over look sprying ur car rather than getting a cam. If u go with an auto which it does not look like u want to, all u need are boltons and a torque converter and ull be 11s allllllll day. [QUOTE=Silver 00 SS]

thanks for the reply,

Well i am not ruling the a4 out, especially from what you just said! and when you say full bolt ons i'm asuming your not talking about Nitrious or cam right. thats just whith all Intake/Exhaust mods??

and is the torque converter the same as a stall converter? i will check around for prices, but do you know any off the top of your head?? any links or anything would be appreciated.

[QUOTE=Silver 00 SS]
Now for the cam, I have never done it before but from what i hear it is fairly easy to do in a garage. I think speed shops will charge 300-350 for a install.
[QUOTE=Silver 00 SS]

but what abouts heads, were can i go to check prices on these? springs, retainers?

Thanks alot
Old 01-13-2006, 08:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With slicks behind an M6 in the 11s you will need a rear end. If you have cash every once in a while you can find a decent 9" or 12 bolt in the for sale section for around $2,000.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blue01ta
With slicks behind an M6 in the 11s you will need a rear end. If you have cash every once in a while you can find a decent 9" or 12 bolt in the for sale section for around $2,000.
thanks, 2k for a rear end ... i am leaning more and more towards the a4 damn
Old 01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
12 Second Club

Bolt ons are, Headers, intake, exhaust, TB, Filter, pully.

Alright this is the best advice i can give you is do this.

Intake, Filter, Bellow, ported TB, Headers, Y-pipe, Cat Back, Pully, Clutch, Short Throw shifter, 125 shot of nitrous

Torque Converter = Stall Converter

MY 6-Speed Set Up

Nitrous kit: TNT Twister Force 1 (75-150HP) $754.99
Clutch: SPEC, STAR Stage 3 Clutch $419.99
Shifter Pro 5.0 shifter with short shifter package $199.99
Headers 2000-2002 Hooker Longtube Headers - Stainless $779.99
Y-Pipe LS1 F-Body Hooker Y-Pipe $169.99
Cat Back Magnaflow LS1 F-Body Catback $419.99
Filter Green Stock Replacement Filter $44.99
Intake 2000-2002 MTI Transparent Induction Lid $143.99
TB Ported i think is $125.00
Bellow SLP High Flow Bellows $49.46

With this set up i made 460HP and 515 Torque
Went 11.80@123 MPH with a 1.95 60'

If i had a Full Drag radial run (broke two time, first time broke rear end, Second time Broke by Drive shaft) I would have ran high 10's with a 1.7 60ft. I drove this car daily with out a problem on the street. All those prices are from www.ls1speed.com thats where i get all my parts and work done to my car. Im my opinoin i think there web site is the easyest to work with.

Any question just ask.

Scott