Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air lid problems, help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 01:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air lid problems, help?

aright guys i got a little problem with my slp lid. i put it on but for sum reason it wont fit flush and the left clamp will not stay on, it always pops off. its really starting to irratate me and i am wondering if anybody else is having a similar problem. if u got any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated. im not too happy with slp right now
Old 01-22-2006, 02:14 AM
TECH Regular

Same problem here...
Old 01-22-2006, 02:19 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure the front lip on the lid is tucked inside the lower airbox. When it hangs outside, it doesnt clip down right
Old 01-22-2006, 02:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

mine fit on perfectly so i dunno.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

a lid is a lid is a lid, someguys have problems some guys don't- unfortunately you are one of those guys, the bad things about lids is they might not fit perfect-they're usually made of plastic so they can warp, crack, or bend pretty easily-tell SLP about your problem an take some pics an email it to them, thats all i can tell you
Old 01-22-2006, 04:30 AM
12 Second Club

I had that same problem until i figured out i wasnt pushing the lid on far enough, the bottom air box has to stick out further than the lid. Then the clamps fit on tight and wont pop off.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:09 AM
TECH Junkie

make sure the clips in the back are on all the way, then with your fingers pull the front of the lower airbox out a little, and the lid will be pinched in by the lower airbox, then your clamps will fit perfectly. this also doesn't harm anything either. most people that have lids that fit perfectly like me do this anyhow, it would suck to have it pop off when hitting the gas.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the slp lids youu really have to work it in there. but once its on correctly it will not pop off.
my tsp i had before fit very easily but that thing broke to pieices for no reason.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Regular

Yea, I'm about to fix mine today when I get in there to descreen the SLP MAF. That is the exact problem that the lid isnt pushed all the way back in.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

I did some creative bending of my clips. The clips hold on there very tightly now.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I had the same problem for a while. I just loosened all the clamps that connect to throttle body and maf to make sure they were all on as far as they could go. Then just get it lined up and get it under the front of the air box, and clamp the lid down, and tighten everything back up. Hasnt come unclamped since then.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:42 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by coxta
mine fit on perfectly so i dunno.
Great post!

Originally Posted by nwforever
I had that same problem until i figured out i wasnt pushing the lid on far enough, the bottom air box has to stick out further than the lid. Then the clamps fit on tight and wont pop off.
This guy's hit the nail on the head.

Try leaving the big clamps on the MAF to bellow and bellow to TB loose while pushing it on as far as you can. After everything is jiving properly, then tighten them up.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

wow im glad you posted this...I was having the same problem only I have a whisper lid..but like said a lid is a lid...I ended up bending my clips to try and get it to stay and the chrome came off of them..so I had to fab up some special clamps on the sides the are bolted down now...but I was trying to get the lid to fit on the OUTSIDE of the bottom part so i guess that was my problem...New clips are on order. man I love this site lol
Old 01-23-2006, 12:45 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by YoungGunLs1
wow im glad you posted this...I was having the same problem only I have a whisper lid..but like said a lid is a lid...I ended up bending my clips to try and get it to stay and the chrome came off of them..so I had to fab up some special clamps on the sides the are bolted down now...but I was trying to get the lid to fit on the OUTSIDE of the bottom part so i guess that was my problem...New clips are on order. man I love this site lol
You live and you learn

I learned the hardway about the tiny red wire coming out of the top of the alternator, and how it loves to rip out of the wiring harness because its hidden and so small. Now I make sure to tell people about it

.....Or how about the lovely way that K&N air filter cleaner REMOVES PAINT. I found that out the hard way too.