Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

beat it up???

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default beat it up???

hey im new to the ls1 i have had it three months now and ive been pretty mean to it. its got 88,000 on it i got it with 85k and ive been through 8 rear tires already. just curious what kind of beating these cars will take, gotta add that my car was an old womans car and she didnt beat it up at all, when i got it it was bone stock EVERYTHING!! why do these cars sound so clicky and nasty when theyre cold im scared to drive it when its cold it kinda sounds like there aint no oil in it when its cold, or maybe piston slap til it warms up????? let me know how bad you've beaten yours and if the stock motor is still runnin i hear they really take abuse.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

4 sets of rear tires in 3k... Are you spinning tire at every take-off? What kind of tires?
Old 01-22-2006, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

id like to see what kind of response you get cuz im the same. i just got a 2002 t/a ws6 and it does the same thing. it sounds like maybe a rockerarm needs adj. or something. but youre right, it does it till it warms up then it sounds ok but even then it still does it a little.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

Isn't there a organization like DCFS for LS1 cars?
Old 01-22-2006, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

ive heard that changing over your exhaust to what you want is not a good idea. the engine is tuned to run its best with the cats and y-pipe duel into single. you may lose horsepower if you convert it that way. i got my info from summitt racing web site cuz i was thinking about doing the same thing
Old 01-22-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

thats funny........ ive had 4 sets of toyo proxes on the back
Old 01-22-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

thats why you get it tuned
Old 01-22-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobodog
ive heard that changing over your exhaust to what you want is not a good idea. the engine is tuned to run its best with the cats and y-pipe duel into single. you may lose horsepower if you convert it that way. i got my info from summitt racing web site cuz i was thinking about doing the same thing
Theres probably literally in the thousands of people running an ORY (read witout cats) on this board
Old 01-22-2006, 12:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel sorry for that car. take it easy on those tires. save it for the dragstrip. my BFG drag radials on my stock 17's last me about 3 months, racing it at the track everyother weekend. I thought that was bad. but 8 tires (4 sets) wow.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 9silverbird8
Theres probably literally in the thousands of people running an ORY (read witout cats) on this board
yup. i ran the SLP long tubes and SLP ORY w/ no cats for 2 years. car ran perfectly. now TSP x-pipe and dumped before the axle w/ no cats. tuning takes care of any problems you might have when removing the cats.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:58 PM
Launching!

DAMN 8 tires. i dont think ive bought 8 tires yet since ive been driving. i do need to get some new back tires but i just burned those up so i could get some d/r's
i think you need a honda
Old 01-22-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

i do baby it, its just my friends see it and i take them and do some donuts then i see another friend and just HAVE to do it for them too. it keeps on coming. i just wanna know who has beat thier stock motor up so i can know what to expect from this thing cause i want it to run til its paid off. i dont wanna pay for some blown motor good lookin car sittin in my driveway that i cant drive.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

you should charge your friends admission

Last edited by bobodog; 01-22-2006 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CNVRTmyZ
i do baby it, its just my friends see it and i take them and do some donuts then i see another friend and just HAVE to do it for them too. it keeps on coming. i just wanna know who has beat thier stock motor up so i can know what to expect from this thing cause i want it to run til its paid off. i dont wanna pay for some blown motor good lookin car sittin in my driveway that i cant drive.
my car has a 136K on it and i've got it pretty shitty ever since i've had it. who the hell cares about your friends they aren't paying you 200$ for each rear tire every time you have to get a set tell them to screw themselves. whoever said LT headers + ORY is bad is ridicoulas just get a tune. take it easy on your car or else it will be wrapped around a tree and you'll be paying for it then
Old 01-22-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

thats a good philosophy screw em. but still even when im alone i WOT like once a day at least im just wondering how these engines hold up due to the fact that all of my buddies that have had lt1's had them fail. just wondering if chevy hit the tail on the donkey with this motor. and the lt's and ory is definately happening and you dont even HAVE to have a tune to gain from it. < see the period.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

Either you have money for tires comming out your A$$ or you have tires growing in your backyard...if you don't have the car paid off why would you be doing that to the car. I mean if you don't have the money for the car, how do u have money for tires, or for the repairs that you are gonna need etc. b/c you beat the **** outta it? I have no problem with someone beating the **** outta these cars..but when you don't even have the car paid off I think that its best not to be spending MORE money on tires, repairs etc, when the car isn't even paid for. Drive her nice till she is paid off, then do what you want.. But obviously these cars can take abuse but don't be suprised when something breaks and you are paying for a car that just sits there and can't move.

Just my $.02
Old 01-22-2006, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

nice looking car but it would look better if that girl was laying on the hood
Old 01-22-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

no you got it all wrong..... i dont beat the **** outa it im just not a grandma in it all the time i USE IT for what it was made for. just wondering how long these cars were made to do it for.......... damn if i would have known id get such ignorance from these people i wouldnt have asked the simple question HOW long do these engines last?
Old 01-22-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

i think your ignorance beats us all, going through 8 tires in 3k miles and the car isn't paid off really speaks for itself. i'm glad i'm not that insecure that i have to go around impressing my friends all the time.

edit: i still haven't got a tune on my LT's and full exhaust setup, and i've seen gains. like i said i have 136k on mine and it runs strong, but no engine is ever going to be the same. personally i say dont get shitty as much until after it's paid off. thats my .02$
Old 01-22-2006, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ignorance.........are you serious? How long will an engine last? It will last as long as you take care of it properly and dont beat it to death. However in your case it will probably be finished before it's paid off if you have to ask a question like that. There is no set amount of time as to how long it will last. 8 tires in 3k miles in 3 months.....and I'd wager that you haven't checked the oil more or less other fluids once in that time. I feel sorry for your Z, you obviously dont have the respect for it that it deserves and like some one said, it will probably wind up around a tree. Sounds like daddy bought the car and is buyin' tires too.

Go buy a Honda. I'm done.