New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what should I get - 3rd-gen F-body, 4th-gen F-body, or 4th-gen Monte Carlo SS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a question and I'd like opinions

I have a dilemma. I have a 95 T/A, but I want to sell it for something different. I like the car, but I'd much rather have something else. I have several options right now-

A third generation F-body, a 98+ F-body or a 4th generation Monte Carlo SS. I'm not so sure I want a 98+ anymore. I really like the Monte and third gens though. The problem is that I don't really like automatic trannies, the 5 speeds that came in third gens were worthless, plus their motors aren't the best in the world. I'd love to take one of those cars and swap in an LSX/ T56, but I don't know if it would make sense. I have around $6k saved now, plus whatever my car is worth. By the Summer, I should have more. Here are my ideas-

Get a Monte/ third gen, see how I feel once I own the car, then decide if the LSX would be worth it to me. If worst comes to worst, I could always drop in an LT1 or LT4. The car has to be emissions legal and I want something fuel injected. I refuse to use a carbed LTX or LSX. What are your opinions on this? Do you feel that those cars are worth the motor and tranny swap? I still have to do a search to find out the cost factor.

My question is, if a Monte Carlo has a full frame and f-bodies are unibody cars, why do F-bodies handle so much better? Also, could I ever make a Monte handle as well as, if not better than an F-body (or preferably a Vette)?

If something in this post doesn't make sense, please bring it to my attention. It was written in a rush as I'm on my way out to my Muay Thai class.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Storms of War

My question is, if a Monte Carlo has a full frame and f-bodies are unibody cars, why do F-bodies handle so much better? Also, could I ever make a Monte handle as well as, if not better than an F-body (or preferably a Vette)?
they are lighter and have a much lower center of gravity, yes you can make it handle as well as a vette, but it would be really low and have some big *** tires up front
Old 01-25-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get a C4 vette and mod it TASTEFULLY for once. I've never seen that happen as of yet.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:15 PM
Mid
On The Tree

honestly, i think you should wait until summer, when you have more money, then you have more options.

Plus, it leaves plenty of time to think about what you really want, instead of jumping into a deal.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by camaroextra
they are lighter and have a much lower center of gravity, yes you can make it handle as well as a vette, but it would be really low and have some big *** tires up front
So if I lowered it say 2", put 245's or 275's up front, upgraded the sway bars, shocks, etc, it would handle like a Vette? Thanks man!

I love C4's, but the thought of owning another optispark equipped car scares me. I've been very lucky with my car. I guess I could get a C4 with the l98, but why go with that when I could have an LT1? I'd much rather have an LS1 (C'5's are way out of my price range ), but I think I could settle. I had an 86 Monte Carlo with a TBI V6. I loved that car and my girlfriend loved it too. It had too many problems to keep it though. It's very tempting to get another. At the same time, I'm in love with third gens. How can you beat this?-

Again, I love Monte's just as much, so this is a real PITA decision. It's also very hard to find a G-body with t tops.
Anyhow, whatever I get is going to see lots of modification. I think my first mods will be suspension work, upgraded brakes and a 2"-3" cowl hood. Mmmm The brakes on my Monte sucked compared to my Trans Am. I'd imagine 3rd gens don't have great brakes either.

I was actually thinking about getting a C4, but they're so friggin overpriced it's not even funny. Some guy wanted $6,000 for his 92 with 150,000+ miles on it. You could probably get a 93 Camaro for half of that in decent condition.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure if you know about it but check out MontecarloSS.com there is all the info you need about 4th gen monte's over there. They would be more than welcome to help decide if a LSX swap if for you. There are a handfull of them that have done the swap and there are a few complete write up's on the swap.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

Thanks

Quick Reply: what should I get - 3rd-gen F-body, 4th-gen F-body, or 4th-gen Monte Carlo SS?