Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on whether to keep car

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 02:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need advice on weather to keep car

Ok basically I currently have a 2000 Trans Am and its nothing too great but for being 19 years old and being a full time student and having to pay for all my own stuff I feel its a nice car. Well obviously I have a loan on it and insurance is kinda high. So I thought about selling it and buying something less costly, Well the other day someone made me a decent offer that wouldnt put me out too bad. So I really dont know what to do, I feel I have 2 choices.
1. Keep the car continue working like ive been doing
2. Sell it buy something less costly and have more time to enjoy myself

I really love the car but am wondering if I should take a few years off and enjoy my college years a little bit more. I know theres alot of people on here that are older then me and hopefully can help me out a little. Thanks
Old 01-29-2006, 03:39 AM
Launching!

Sell it. You can always get something else down the road after you get out of college. By then you might be able to get a brand new trans am if they come out with it.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Why even ask? Does the opinion of a bunch of people on here matter? It's not headers vs rims, you're the only one that can answer this question.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Hoss Ghoul
Why even ask? Does the opinion of a bunch of people on here matter? It's not headers vs rims, you're the only one that can answer this question.
I was just wondering if anyone else went through anything similar to what im goin through and what they did
Old 01-29-2006, 11:01 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

I'd keep it personaly....

Borrow a friends 1986 Mazda 626 and drive that for a week. You'll royal shambo with yourself for even thinking of selling your T/A
Old 01-29-2006, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Maybe you could look for a better paying job? I am 20, I go to school full-time, pay for my insurance, car payment, apartment, and tuition/books. I am by no means well off but it can be done. I work as a server 30 hours a week. You could always sacrafice things you love less, to keep it.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

im in college and the only thing i can really say is that by you working hard for that car it also keeps you out of trouble. Ive already screwed up once and i dont want to do that again. You have a nice car and its not worth it to risk loosing it then ull really kick urself in the ***. maybe ur not a partier, if not then good. but really it is up to you. If it is very stressful then do what u got to do. In the end its all up to you. Good luck with ur decision
Old 01-29-2006, 11:31 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17

I really love the car but am wondering if I should take a few years off and enjoy my college years a little bit more.
If you really love the car then why would you want to take a few years off? I mean, which do you prefer.....having free time or owning a car that you love?

You only live once. Spend your time and money on the things that bring you the most joy/fulfillment in life. Don't worry about "missing out" on other experiances in life, nobody can experiance everything. Just think of some of the people you know in school, maybe they party more and have more free time. But on the downside, if you lived like that you wouldn't get to own a car that you love and have fun with....then you'd be missing the LS1 experiance

Almost everything in life is a trade-off of some sort.....choose carefully; because you can't go back in time.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah thanks guy I was up just about all night thinking about it and decided to keep it, I dont know what I was thinkin when I thought of selling it
Old 01-29-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im glad you've decided to keep it, but maybe this can help put it into perspective a little too. Im 18, will be 19 in a few months. I live on my own, am a full time student, and work full time. And I will be buying my trans am very soon. So just hang in there, things are much sweeter when you work for and pay for them yourself.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Good choice, cheers.

Yeah thanks guy I was up just about all night thinking about it and decided to keep it, I dont know what I was thinkin when I thought of selling it
Old 01-29-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

Starz... I've been wondering this for about a year myself................. I've changed my mind a dozen times... Hopefully you will stick with your decision! I had a tough time!
Old 01-29-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

good decision.

though if you did decide to sell it its not the end of the world.

yes it would.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Allergik2dyin
Im glad you've decided to keep it, but maybe this can help put it into perspective a little too. Im 18, will be 19 in a few months. I live on my own, am a full time student, and work full time. And I will be buying my trans am very soon. So just hang in there, things are much sweeter when you work for and pay for them yourself.
Yeah I just need to stop modding and work on gettin it paid off but its soooo hard
Old 01-29-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I just need to stop modding and work on gettin it paid off but its soooo hard
Yeah it's hard, but you can keep doing it. Its all about budgeting and being realistic. Good luck with it though.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:03 PM
Launching!

It depends on how much you love your car. I was in the same situation as you about 4 years ago, I had a ton of thoughts about selling my car. But getting that car is what I got a job for in the first place. I toughed it out and now i have a great job that lets me build up my car and also have plenty of money left over,I am extremely glad that i never sold it!!!!! Good luck ,whatever your decision!
Old 01-30-2006, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

im glad to hear that your keeping your ta man . and one day your car will worth something . i know i will not sell my camaro ss . i love my car to death and when ever i drive it i fell like im a jet poilet
Old 01-30-2006, 06:48 AM
Staging Lane

You have the rest of your life to own cars, you are only young and in college once. Ditch the car if it's a financial burden and enjoy the "social opportunities" college life offers. It would be a real pisser to look back 5-10 years from now and think of what you missed out on just to have a car that you probably will no longer have anyway. It would also be a bummer to sit at a crappy part-time job while all your friends are out partying. Sell the car and get a shitbox you don't mind leaving in the school lots while you are off having fun. Once you have graduated and have some income to do a nice car justice (i.e. not leaving it outside in a school lot) buy the T/A you always wanted that IS something special and enjoy it with your hot girly that you met in college while NOT working some crap job to keep a "nothing to great" car.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly man, it really is up to you, I'm where your at, college gets pricey especially when trying to mod/maintain/keep a car. Luckily i dont have a car payment but if it is strangling you and stopping you from getting done what you need to then sell it. 4 years isnt too long of a time to wait to get something better, now thats if its cutting into your school time. If it cuts into your FREE time, i.e. your not in school/studying, and your working in that free time to pay for the car, the question is..how bad do you want it, if your answer isnt worth the time you work, then sell it, if it is keep at it!

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
I'd keep it personaly....

Borrow a friends 1986 Mazda 626 and drive that for a week. You'll royal shambo with yourself for even thinking of selling your T/A
Thats easy to say when your 16 and dont have anything to pay for. He didnt say he's excited about selling it or anything.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

I'd say if it is taking away time from you enjoying college life and not being able to have fun then sell it. I am a sophomore in college and in my situation I don't mod my car...which gives me no payments to be made other than insurance and gas. I sacrafice not being able to modify it, but I also get to enjoy college and not work all the time. I work my *** off in the summer and then when school comes around I work only 10-15 hours a week and have time to enjoy life. I was in your situation after my senior year of highschool and had to sell my camaro...it was hard but I didn't have the money at the time to pay for the insurance and pay to have it sit back home...I told myself I can always buy another one someday...and now after 2 years i have the money for the car and have to put up with parking it in the school lots year round...but to me it is worth it....there will always be another car out there if you sell yours and want one down the road.