New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of Purchasing 1st LS1!

Old 02-04-2006, 09:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of Purchasing 1st LS1!

I've always had Mustangs (and still do) but I've always been interested in the 98-Up LS1 cars. I'am looking at a 1998 Trans Am A4. The car is stock with exception of a lid, K&N filter, ceramic-coated long-tubes, high-flow y-pipe and a Flowmaster Catback. The trans was just freshened and had a shift kit added. The car has 122k on it but I would rate the overall condition of the car as a 8.5 of 10. The car also comes with LS1Edit, Autotap and their associated cables. Does $7000.00 sound like a decent deal?
Attached Thumbnails Thinking of Purchasing 1st LS1!-picture-048.jpg  
Old 02-04-2006, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

To me, 122k miles on a car that has been modded, is alot. Only because you can garuntee he beat on the car alot with those mods. You dont put those mods on and shift under 2k every time. (Who does that stock I guess....lol)

However, for the mods that it has done (minus flowmaster), and the tuning software (if you know / are interested in learning), it is a good deal. I would buy a car like that to put a big engine in and make it a drag only car. If you can swing a little more money I'm sure you could get one that is newer / less miles. (Example: My 99, with 46k on the clock, $11,000 yr and a half ago)

Obviously the choice is yours in the end, if YOU like it, get it.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

(Example: My 99, with 46k on the clock, $11,000 yr and a half ago)
How long of a search was that?
Old 02-04-2006, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

I was planning on doing some serious modifications to it at a later date. Right now I was looking for a nice DD until this summer. I personally know the fella that has the car. I can say that I'am sure the car got rode hard some but he is very good with maintenance and up keep. I was looking for a car in this price range that already had some good support modifications. I would like to do a cam and converter with this engine until it gave up the ghost. I would like to possible build another long-block and just swap the motors out next year.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Custom4204
How long of a search was that?
Well, I was looking around / researching for about a year. (Off and on). I ended up getting treated like **** by THREE local dealers. So I said screw this, I will go out of town. Looked on autotrader, then on wheels for you's website for maybe 2 months (just bored at work). Stumbled onto it, drove two hours, and had myself a bad *** LS1.

Originally Posted by PDub6s
I was planning on doing some serious modifications to it at a later date. Right now I was looking for a nice DD until this summer. I personally know the fella that has the car. I can say that I'am sure the car got rode hard some but he is very good with maintenance and up keep. I was looking for a car in this price range that already had some good support modifications. I would like to do a cam and converter with this engine until it gave up the ghost. I would like to possible build another long-block and just swap the motors out next year.
You seem pretty set on it, which is fine. Especially if you want to 'seriously' mod it. As I said before 122k miles is alot, but if you plan on spending some serious money when summer comes, I say go for it. Hell if I had 7k right now, I'd buy one up for a bad *** track car.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

There is no reason why a good H/C/I rebuild this summer wouldn't make a nice street cruiser, is there? The car is nice and I know the miles are high, but I'am just gonna have fun with it until the engine needs some good TLC. I can do all the labor myself other than machine work, so basically I'll just be spending money on parts.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

BTW... Thanks for the info. I know I will have alot of questions once I have the car.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mileage is just a number... If it was taken care of who cares

Search this Thread