Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 running rich won't idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 running rich won't idle

I need some help with a buddies car.'01 TA ls1 all stock motor,full length headers, Borla 3 in. exhaust from front to back.Exhuast has been on the car for 6-8 months always ran good.The other day he got in it and would not idle,running very rich,and black smoke out the tail pipes.I checked for codes and system passed.No continuous memory or hard fault codes.All the engine data looks good.It had a Granitelly MAF sensor so I put his stock one back on and it does the same thing.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad O2 sensor caused this in my friends car with long tubes. It took almost a year to pop up. When we changed it it was fouled up bad, put in a new Bosh and it's been good since.

Also a vaccum leak, check around the vaccum tubes just incase.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea check the O2's, although there should be a code if they are bad enough, is he burning oil at all? If it is the O2 I myself would advise against Bosch or any other brand except the ones you can get from the dealer, yea they are $50 more but they dont go out evey 2k and are better to tune with, if you do buy a different brand dont be suprised if the first set, or one of them doesnt work at all, its happend many times. (This is my personal opinion and what i've learned from experience, nothing more)
Old 02-13-2006, 11:25 AM
Teching In

the o2's are good.switching normal with engine running.I'l double check though.
I had to move it out of the shop over the weekend and started smelling like diesel fumes in the exhaust.So when he gets back to work I'll make sure he didn't put diesel instead of gasoline.I tried to run it on some injector flush with the aperatus set at fuel pump pressure,but no change.I'll hollar back when I figure it out.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea, diesel would do it
Old 02-13-2006, 10:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vacuum leak, O2 sensor, bad ring if so ( more than likely cylinder#7) ,make sure that you throttlebody is sealing when at idle, the right heat range on your spark plugs,etc...
Old 02-14-2006, 08:23 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies.I got straightened out last night.The guy filled up with Diesel.I drained the tank,put 10 gallons gas flushed lines, cleaned the spark plugs,runs good.no engine miss,smokedfor a while when it first fired.I went and drove it.Damn what car.I don't own a ls1 or lt1,but i gotta get one now.
I race a 76 camaro big block car in brackets around here.But I think its time for a sreet car.Once again,thanks peeps.

Quick Reply: LS1 running rich won't idle