New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading my 98 Transam for a 97 Z71 Extended Cab whata ya think?..

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trading my 98 Transam for a 97 Z71 Extended Cab whata ya think?..

Ok..this kid came up to me the other day I've known him for a while..he has a 1997 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 its lifted Dark Green has Runners, Nerf Bars its pretty much loaded nice looken truck chromed out..and all...he has 109k on the clock and its a salvage title but the people who fixed it up did a great job..it retails wit the salvage title at like 9k 8k and my cars retailing at like 8k...an he wants to know about a straight up trade for my car..im really thinking about it, cuz my headlight motors are grinding, the rear ends pinion is out and its whining and this kid knows all this stuff hes just sick of driving a truck and wants a car and i really want a truck rather than a car cuz i need to haul my bike around. BTW the truck is power everything leather seats paint is immaculate inside is immaculate..

Whatdya guys think.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if its what you want. then i would do it. besides you can buy an older car and have a drag car. and use that truck to pull it with.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:02 PM

Buy a truck & fix the LS1.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do what you want, but if it was me I would never get a vehicle with a salvage title.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:23 AM
TECH Resident

If you need the truck then I'd go for it.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you need a truck, then sure - I would definitely get it checked out by a pro mechanic though. Drop 100 bux to do it - you'll thank me

Personally? I think you are N-U-T-S for even considering trading your T/A for a truck! I know people who went from a T/A to a truck mainly because they just wanted a truck and 20 years later just flat out regretted it.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nomorews6

Personally? I think you are N-U-T-S for even considering trading your T/A for a truck!
Old 03-04-2006, 01:26 PM
Banned

Keep the car you'll always miss the speed//looks of a badass car
Old 03-04-2006, 04:05 PM
Teching In

I understand you want a truck but I wouldn't touch anything with a salvage title. I bought a few motorcycles with salvage titles and they are very hard to resell. They are also worth alot less regardless of how well its been fixed.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you need the truck, then I can understand you getting it....but, you are really going to miss your car.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:02 PM
TECH Resident

I think this may be the wrong site to ask...haha. We are just a little biased
Old 03-05-2006, 01:30 AM
Teching In

be very careful of the salvage. do you know why it was salvaged? if you plan on keeping the truck for years i wouldn't worry about it. i have the cleanest 91 5.0 you will probably ever see,but it has a rebuilt title do to fire. when i went to put full coverage on it allstate said in case of a total loss the car would only be worth $1250.00 just use your best judgement
Old 03-05-2006, 05:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Personally, I've owned quite a few vehicles with salvage titles. I think the laws regarding salvage titles are different from state to state, but I'd stay away from water damaged vehicles. If the car has been fixed right, you haven't got a whole lot to worry about. If it's a car that you're going to keep for a very long time, then resale value won't be as big of a concern. My advice would be to have the car checked out by a professional before purchasing it, and run carfax.

One thing that I should add that would make a difference is that all of the vehicles that I've owned with a salvage title, I've seen before they were fixed. That does make a difference to me, because I was there helping when the car was repaired, so I know what I've got.

Also, keep in mind that on an older model vehicle, an insurance company (at least the ones that I've dealt with) is likely to "fudge" the numbers to where the vehicle will be totalled instead of repaired. I've seen this happen quite a few times when I was working with one of my friends at his body shop, it's just the way that they do things.

I bought a 94 GMC pickup that was totalled (hood, grille, headlight, bumper, one dent in the passenger door) and repaired. I was wanting to fix one up with a nicer front end, so to me it didn't make since to pay $2500 more for the same truck, then spend the money for add ons when I could fix that one cheap. I also have a Cavalier that got a junkyard trunk lid, spoiler, tail light, and bumper cover that totalled up to $250 get it back on the road with a rebulit title, so it's not always as bad as it sounds.

In my area, loan value on a rebuilt vehicle is 70% of book value, and if dealing with a reputable insurance agency, you are much less likely to take a screwing in the case of an accident (know people who have had tons of problems with Geico and Allstate).
Old 03-05-2006, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

I have a feeling if you trade, you'll regret it. A truck isn't nearly as fun to drive as an LS1 Trans Am. And it's a salvage title truck at that. It might sound good in the short run, but take it from somebody who didn't have an LS1 for a period of 4 years, it was hell. I never liked to go anywhere, I never liked to go for a drive, it literally took all the fun out of driving.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

I'd consider it if it had a clear title.

You're getting ripped if you trade.... I would never pay that kind of money/trade for anything with a salvage title.

It's really hard to sell something with a salvage title. Most banks won't give out loans for a vehicle with one and most dealers won't even take them in on trade in...(if they do they offer you a few hundred) So take that into consideration when you want to get rid of it.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

i think you will regret it i went from a 03 srt-4 to a 02 odge ram and then hated it cuz i missed my speed so traded for a 02 gt conv then traded it for the real car my 2000 ws6 m6 ill never get rid of this thing and i even have a boat lol i just borrow a truck to go boatin KEEP AND FIX THE T/A
Old 03-06-2006, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here an idea.... if you need a truck... see if you can find an older one and keep your car!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-06-2006, 12:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Take the truck for a test drive and mash the gas.

Then take a drive in your car and do the same.

Then think about it for a while.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:09 AM
TECH Addict

dont be a *****, fix that poor car and keep the ***** wagon
Old 03-06-2006, 03:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by msbz_ls1
Ok..this kid came up to me the other day I've known him for a while..he has a 1997 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 its lifted Dark Green has Runners, Nerf Bars its pretty much loaded nice looken truck chromed out..and all...he has 109k on the clock and its a salvage title but the people who fixed it up did a great job..it retails wit the salvage title at like 9k 8k and my cars retailing at like 8k...an he wants to know about a straight up trade for my car..im really thinking about it, cuz my headlight motors are grinding, the rear ends pinion is out and its whining and this kid knows all this stuff hes just sick of driving a truck and wants a car and i really want a truck rather than a car cuz i need to haul my bike around. BTW the truck is power everything leather seats paint is immaculate inside is immaculate..

Whatdya guys think.
worst idea EVER!!!!