New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

learning how to drive stick

Old 02-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default learning how to drive stick

Well here it goes. I'm 16 years old and have been driving an a4 since the start of my driving career. But, as I've been reading on this forum all of you love the m6's. So my question is, how hard is it to learn how to drive a m6? Also, since I will be learning, will it hurt the car if I mess up while shifting and such?
Old 02-21-2006, 12:56 PM
AOC
TECH Regular

Yes, you could burn up clutch, grind gears. It isn't that hard to learn if you have bit of hand/eye coordination.

I would recommend learning from a beater but since you are only 16, that maybe out of question. If so, learn to shift without engine running first just get the feel of shifting. I think hardest thing to learn is the first gear, but if you could master that, shifting to other gears should be lot easier.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

Hmm well I think Im gonna practice with using one of my parents' a4 to get the feel of shifting and such. From what everyone has been telling me, it sounds like driving an m6 can being a pain in the *** in town.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Once you get used to driving an M6 you won't even notice it. Its like you go into auto pilot mode.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, manuals are very easy to drive especially w/ the LS1. Go for it.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Generally the more torque the easier because it takes less effort to get the right balance of clutch and throttle when you're taking off from a stop. So, M6 F-bodys are relatively easy to drive.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if my gf learned how to drive in one week, im sure you can too!
Old 02-21-2006, 03:56 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Very easy to learn how to drive.... I too did the whole sitting in it with the engine off, and just would be like "fifth" and see if I could get it there in the first shot, and so on and so forth, randomizing it all. I haven't missed a gear since my first day driving... But I do have a Pro5.0 and LSS so that helps...

Takeing off in first is the only 'hard' thing... And thats not even taht hard.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
Very easy to learn how to drive.... I too did the whole sitting in it with the engine off, and just would be like "fifth" and see if I could get it there in the first shot, and so on and so forth, randomizing it all. I haven't missed a gear since my first day driving... But I do have a Pro5.0 and LSS so that helps...

Takeing off in first is the only 'hard' thing... And thats not even taht hard.
What do you mean about taking off in first? I'm pretty used to driving quads so I kind of think of it as " you have to rev the engine up to the right rpm's before you shift into first?"
Old 02-21-2006, 05:30 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

No no no,,,

Takeing off is the hardest part of driving a manul.

If you've drivin quads, it will come very fast for you, just man up and go with a m6, its what you want.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Teching In

i think he means starting from a stop in first you know not to much throttle not to little.about the engine revving thing you should be able to shift into first while idling.unless ive been doing it wrong.which is a good posibility i say go for the manual love mine i dont think ill ever buy another automatic.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

driving a manual is easy and driving a manual in a v8 powered car...even easier...the only thing thats easier than a gas v8 is a diesel, my god...an fbod is easy. i can put my car in first and pretty much just dump the clutch and itll take right off. these cars are easy.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently got my M6 SS Camaro and would never trade it in for an A4. After a few times I was done driving around the clutch would give off a bad smell but now that Im more experienced its like a 2nd habit to do things and ends up perfect. I still struggle on hills and THAT IS the hardest part of driving a Manual not taking off. At times I feel like I ride the clutch too much and just remember it doesnt take much for it to engage so dont ride it like I did.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:46 PM
TECH Regular

I would sit in 1st with the clutch in then bring the clutch out slow enough that I could start moving then get the clutch all the way out without any gas, just all clutch. This was a good way for me to find that friction point where the car starts to move. I do it in every "new" manual car I drive.

~Alex
Old 02-21-2006, 05:49 PM
10 Second Club

I guess I'll be the only one here to actually post up for us a4 guys. People seem to mostly see it as an ego thing. What, you got an automatic? Believe me, you dont need a manual transmission to be fast. Either way, its up to you to get what you want. But if it comes down to it, dont be afraid to go automatic just cause everyone might think less of you. It hasnt stop'd me, and believe me, there isnt anyone who thinks less of me because of it
Old 02-21-2006, 05:56 PM
Teching In

If you want to drag race, then stay with the a4, but if your into street racing and having a good time drivin your car around town then an m6 is for you. I had a 4 banger grand am with a stick before my m6 and the m6 was way easier to drive. As long as your careful the m6 is easy to learn but its more about what you want to do with the car
Old 02-21-2006, 07:16 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Originally Posted by aNuBiS
I guess I'll be the only one here to actually post up for us a4 guys. People seem to mostly see it as an ego thing. What, you got an automatic? Believe me, you dont need a manual transmission to be fast. Either way, its up to you to get what you want. But if it comes down to it, dont be afraid to go automatic just cause everyone might think less of you. It hasnt stop'd me, and believe me, there isnt anyone who thinks less of me because of it

Hes not asking if a a4 is better than a m6, at anything. Some people drive manuals for the fun of it, and not for the performance that they may be gaining/ loosing with it, some don't care, and some like the challenge of trying to be consistent with a six speed car, end of discussion.

I agree with the hills thing, they are pretty awkward sometimes... Just hold the clutch at the friction point and let it hold the car, I know its bad for the clutch, but its easy and clutches are pretty cheap..
Old 02-21-2006, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

I taught my wife how to drive my TA in just a few days.....At first it was tough for her, but then I told her "Slide the clutch out until the car start rolling. Hold it there until everything catches up, and let it go....The rest is history, she just doesn't take it out without me.
She LOVES driving it....Nothing like rowing through the gears once you have it down.......
Old 02-21-2006, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

Learning to drive any manual is easy. It's something you just have to do to get the feel for it. You can't exactly read and do it. And the clutches in the f-bodys are really forgiving, so you don't really have to worry about stalling it.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by camaromarc
Once you get used to driving an M6 you won't even notice it. Its like you go into auto pilot mode.
As much as I love M6's this is not completely true, at least for me. I don't even notice that I have a manual under normal driving conditions a lot of the time. The only times I notice it are A) when I'm flying through the gears and having a hell of a lot of fun, or B) when I'm in stop and go traffic. Believe me, you NOTICE that you have a manual in bumper to bumper crap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: learning how to drive stick