Old 01-13-2005, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FIRST MODS WOO! Part 1&2

hey guys i have a 99 Z28, bone stock, red with factory body kit, chrome rims,
but its automatic. (oh well)

the first things i have in mind are:
Exhaust, SLP LM
SLP intake system (filter, smoothe below, cold air induc, and lid)

GOOD IDEA?

these mods are what i have in mind but i will take advice on different first mods....tell me what i should do next.....
Old 01-13-2005, 08:58 PM
11 Second Club

i have always heard to stay away from slp stuff, but that dont mean that they wont do you wrong. all of that looks like great stuff to start out with, and dont be mad or upset that you have an auto! next thing should be to put a stall convertor in there, then you will say yea i have have an auto (WOO HOOO)
Old 01-13-2005, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well autos are faster typically when you get a stall in there however they aren't near as fun to drive...loudmouth is fine unless you plan on putting long tubes and no cats on...even then you can trade it out for some true duals or something....i'd check the for sale section lots of people getting rid of it for true duals..you might be able to pick up a cheap lm...smooth bellows are worthless power wise...they look nice though...not worth 50$ imo...i'd just get a lid from mti or something...and a holley filter...if you want a ram air system (i don't care for them) get a ssra or ftra...they are nice pieces...you will find that not many people like slp because they are pretty expensive...quality is usually pretty nice...don't believe their hp ratings though...they are usualyl pretty "optomistic" to say the least
Old 01-13-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

That "air induction" kit is so overpriced. Just get yourself a filter and the lid. I have the SLP lid and smooth bellows just because it was basically in brand new condition and I got both of them from a local guy for $100. The LM exhaust is decent on stock manifolds and Y, but you're probably going to want to change it when you go with headers. I've SLP has shitty customer service, but I figured a lid's a lid, so SLP it was.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Auto for life, SLP is just over priced products btw. Get the hooker aero chamber catback, you'll love it!
Old 01-13-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Junkie

how much are you looking to spend? there are a number of mods you could do for a reasonable price. its good that youre looking into a lid to start out with. suprisingly enough it was one of the last things i did i think im one of the few to do headers, true duals and a cam with a stock lid first things (IMO) to start off with are induction and exhaust. some people would also add suspension and stuff but i was more worried about making my car sound like a beast first. and its there now.

Ritz: where in Norfolk are you from? im from norfolk as well. ever see a pewter hardtop formula around? kinda hard not to see/hear me. lol. especially in the tunnel or on the highway
Old 01-13-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

that is odd...stock lid...haha...unheard of
Old 01-13-2005, 09:21 PM
TECH Junkie

lol. it wasnt COMPLETELY my fault. i had the lid sent to my ship...and it took like a month to get there... granted it was after i did the cam/lt's/true duals...but still...
Old 01-13-2005, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

I have the loudmouth. Click my sig to hear what they sound like.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

haha formula...what do you do with your car while you are on the ship....also how long are you on that thing at a time typ.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
how much are you looking to spend? there are a number of mods you could do for a reasonable price. its good that youre looking into a lid to start out with. suprisingly enough it was one of the last things i did i think im one of the few to do headers, true duals and a cam with a stock lid first things (IMO) to start off with are induction and exhaust. some people would also add suspension and stuff but i was more worried about making my car sound like a beast first. and its there now.

Ritz: where in Norfolk are you from? im from norfolk as well. ever see a pewter hardtop formula around? kinda hard not to see/hear me. lol. especially in the tunnel or on the highway
I live in Bayview, but I'm always around the Norfolk/VB/Chesapeake area (mostly Norfolk and VB). Unfortunately I haven't seen your car. I'm always looking out for other F-bodies, but other than the guys I know I usually only see V6's. Got a pic of your car or does it appear stock on the outside?
Old 01-13-2005, 09:33 PM
TECH Junkie

777: as of now, were not deployed, and i live in the barracks. next month we start going underway again, and i have a car cover that i toss on it if its only going to be a short amount of time. i just park far away in a empty parking lot on base and leave her there or leave it at a friends house

Ritz: i live over in portsmouth, but im normally over around vb/lynnhaven/nn/hampton. my car does look stock, except with ws6 wheels and nittos. other than that, pewter hardtop with 5% tint, cammed and ready to play theres a pic in my sig, but that doesnt really help i guess. lol. are you a memeber of the tidewater trans am club? i know theyre sponsored and meet at Hall Pontiac on military highway. and members get 20% off at the service department. im not a member but a guy on my ship is and im gonna go out to the next meeting they have and check it out, if i can.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:19 PM
Launching!

agreed about the SLP LM, It sounds great on a stock manifold/catted car, but it is very loud and raspy on a car with headers and ORY (esp when a cam is added).

There are times when i just love and times when I hate it (like when you have a headache, it doesnt help out much with that). I have to admit that it sounds really good at idle, but is raspy at 2100-2500 and has some highway drone.

I will actually have mine for sale pretty soon b/c i decided to go with the SLP dual/dual since i will be moving in may and then i will have a long commute to school/work and back and would like something quiet.

As for first mods: It all depends on your pocket book.
If money allows, I would suggest some LT and a ypipe with a cutout (for when you want it loud) or a TD setup. I think a lid and kn are a gimme.

I would suggest looking at what you want out of your car in the future and start building on it (I would not purchase something that is good now, but wont be later when you get additional mods to the car), so do LOTS of research and look up JRP's guides.

Also, dont buy the SlP MAF, i have it and i think it is actually hurting my performance. Also, the stock MAF will handle up to a pretty high horsepower (forgot how much though, but i believe it is over 500hp). Remember to not de-screen your factory MAF.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
777: as of now, were not deployed, and i live in the barracks. next month we start going underway again, and i have a car cover that i toss on it if its only going to be a short amount of time. i just park far away in a empty parking lot on base and leave her there or leave it at a friends house

Ritz: i live over in portsmouth, but im normally over around vb/lynnhaven/nn/hampton. my car does look stock, except with ws6 wheels and nittos. other than that, pewter hardtop with 5% tint, cammed and ready to play theres a pic in my sig, but that doesnt really help i guess. lol. are you a memeber of the tidewater trans am club? i know theyre sponsored and meet at Hall Pontiac on military highway. and members get 20% off at the service department. im not a member but a guy on my ship is and im gonna go out to the next meeting they have and check it out, if i can.
Oh ok, you're car would probably stick out to me though. I pay close attention. I'm not a member, but I need to check it out.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

i've heard people say the best first mod is sub frame connectors. im gonna do them this spring.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:45 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

read the "newbie mistakes" and "favorite mod" threads. check the FAQ for there link.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Depending on how much cash you have to work with, you could do. . .

Lid (a must)
Stall Converter(more $ but a must for an A4)get one between 3000-3500
Longtubes+off road Y pipe+cutout,leave the stock catback on
Pacesetter coated LT's wont hurt the checkbook too much.

Or you can do a cat-back. It's your car man, learn from this site and do whatever pleases you.And have fun!
Old 01-14-2005, 06:10 AM
TECH Junkie

no, it doesnt stick out too much, but you would def hear me if i was anywhere near you.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't drive my LS1 much, but I'm in Tidewater as well as stationed at *** Norfolk. As for the original question...
IMO, aftermarket filter is a waste of money.
Lid is a great idea and almost any brand will provide similar gains.
SLP LM is great...WITH CATS! Sounds awful without...
Figure out your long range plans for the car if you can. It will save you money on re-modding.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:20 AM
TECH Junkie

If I were to pick one mod to do it would be a converter.